TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

New car smell?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by ahimberg, Oct 21, 2012.

1. ahimberg

ahimberg Member

For the Sig's who have taken delivery, how strong of a new car smell / chemicals have you experienced?
    Is the interior carpet, seats, etc treated with any stain resistants, scotch guard, etc?

My last new car (Prius) tooks a few weeks to air out -- I think because of the interior having some stain resistant stuff sprayed, curious how the S is going to compare

2. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

You want to get RID of the new car smell? I love it! Not sure what japenese vehicles smell like, but I know I tend to dislike the american new car smell and prefer the german. Someone here posted the S smells more german than american, so I think I'll want to preserve the smell for a bit

3. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

4. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Yeah. I don't smell anything like that which is good. No particular odor present.

5. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

I smell a little in our car, but less than in most new cars I've sat in. I notice it when I first get in, but it's minor so I quickly forget about it.

6. W.Petefish

W.Petefish Active Member

7. jkirkebo

jkirkebo Model S P85+ VIN 14420 EU

This reminds me of a joke; why do men like women dressed in leather and PVC ?

They smell like a new car...:tongue:

8. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I read once how the English really like the smell of leather in new cars as opposed to the Japanese who do not, and that some car manufacturers actually control this odor depending on the market the car is being delivered to.

9. ibcs

ibcs Member

Thanks for sharing. I suffer from chemical allergies and I'm very pleased to know that the smell is minimal.

10. rolosrevenge

rolosrevenge Dr. EVS

I didn't notice it really in the Model S I rode in.