Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Car smell...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good idea, I'll give it a try.

my wife has the same issue. when we got her new car 6 months ago. I bought 4 of the regular boxes, opened the tops and put it in each of the footwells. Took care of the problem. I got the idea from a long time ago when someone bought a used car that smelled like cigarettes. The reply was the baking soda trick. So i tried it with my wife 6 months ago and it worked just a great.
good luck.

my wife has the same issue. when we got her new car 6 months ago. I bought 4 of the regular boxes, opened the tops and put it in each of the footwells. Took care of the problem. I got the idea from a long time ago when someone bought a used car that smelled like cigarettes. The reply was the baking soda trick. So i tried it with my wife 6 months ago and it worked just a great.
good luck.

How did you get the baking soda out of the carpet once you launched the car? :p

I accidentally left my windows open an inch and it rained. not a lot of rain got in the car, but that new car smell was gone instantly. I was hoping this thread was how to get it back. I have heard you can get new car smell in an aerosol spray. maybe Tesla sprays it on the door panels.

• Funny
Reactions: Runt8
How did you get the baking soda out of the carpet once you launched the car? :p

haha. it was for my wifes car. Which is a honda odyssey. While a capable ICE, there is definitely no launching of that car. But to your point, I would recommend only keeping the boxes in the car when its parked overnight. That being said, a little baking soda in the carpet isnt bad. its used in a lot of cleaning supplies.

And yes, i ruined your joke. :p

It was never overwhelming, it is a different "new car smell" than other vehicles I have owned. I have only had mine for 2 weeks and I actually was thinking yesterday i may need an air freshener already. So it seems to fade pretty quick

This is disappointing as it will be my first new car and if there's no new car smell then what's the point?
Here......
upload_2018-9-11_16-24-52.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: voip-ninja
I actually like the new car smell, and wished it lasted longer :rolleyes:

As stated in another thread about this, the "Costco hotdog trick" will eliminate the smell immediately.
Just eat the hotdog in your car, and the new car smell will go away and never return. I accidentally figured this out when I first got my Tesla.

I own a Model 3 and for air freshener I recently came across a custom designed air fresheners from Scent Wedge. Check them out at https://scentwedge.com. Been very happy with my first order and signed up for their monthly subscription service.

That's cool. What does it smell like? I wish they had a sample or something I could smell because i'm pretty particular about different scents.