Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Car totaled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s a very sad day for me. Someone ran a red light and t-boned my Tesla (only 2.5 months old!). What happens now? Do I have to let Tesla know the car is totaled to take it off my app? Are they able to get me a new reservation because of the accident or do I have to start the process again and go without a car for months?
I’m guessing I will get no where near the same value as prices went way up since I bought my car and I won’t be able to replace it for the same cost

If prices have gone up, hopefully your insurance will cover the cost equivalent (of what a 2.5 month old one would cost today). That should hopefully be the same (or very close) to ordering new. It is your right to fight them (dont settle) until you get a fair offer... especially if it is the other drivers insurance.

Reactions: MIGS Tessie
If prices have gone up, hopefully your insurance will cover the cost equivalent (of what a 2.5 month old one would cost today). That should hopefully be the same (or very close) to ordering new. It is your right to fight them (dont settle) until you get a fair offer... especially if it is the other drivers insurance.
They will not but maybe he can sue the at fault party for the additional damages

Reactions: DC_Mike
I am sorry for your loss. As mentioned by Robotpedir your insurance will cover the Actual cash value of the car and if the prices went up then you will get the additional value. Take a look at your state's rules on how the Actual Cash value of the car is calculated. Do your research on NADA values, KBB values and local car sales in your area say between 25 to 50 miles. Always ask the insurance to give you the details on the comparables they used to calculate the ACV. Give the insurance company a fair counter offer and all the evidence you collected as research. Based on your profile location I am assuming you are still in MA, the following details MA state rules -- Frequently Asked Questions about Auto Insurance Claims | Mass.gov

In terms of ordering the car, it depends when you want to place the order. Given Tesla is trying to push year end sales, there is a very high likelihood you will get the car very quickly assuming it is a config they have in stock. Good luck with your settlement and new car

Sorry to see that. Since the car is totaled, right now is probably the best time in a long while for quick delivery of a new Model Y. Right now Tesla website show an estimated delivery of MYP this month. There are also, at least where I live, lots of Model Y’s available for immediate delivery. So I would say get the insurance sorted out and order a new one ASAP.

I’m sorry for your situation! I agree with the above - resolve it with the insurance company and get the MYP asap. You might get lucky and get the discount for the Tesla December discount, esp if you don’t qualify for the tax credit.

As long as they say it’s totaled, then it’s a matter of waiting before getting the money. You can look on the Tesla website for existing inventory at nearby Tesla showrooms and reserve it for $250

I am sorry for your loss. As mentioned by Robotpedir your insurance will cover the Actual cash value of the car and if the prices went up then you will get the additional value. Take a look at your state's rules on how the Actual Cash value of the car is calculated. Do your research on NADA values, KBB values and local car sales in your area say between 25 to 50 miles. Always ask the insurance to give you the details on the comparables they used to calculate the ACV. Give the insurance company a fair counter offer and all the evidence you collected as research. Based on your profile location I am assuming you are still in MA, the following details MA state rules -- Frequently Asked Questions about Auto Insurance Claims | Mass.gov

In terms of ordering the car, it depends when you want to place the order. Given Tesla is trying to push year end sales, there is a very high likelihood you will get the car very quickly assuming it is a config they have in stock. Good luck with your settlement and new car
This was very helpful thank you so much

Go through your insurance company, have your insurance company work with the other driver's insurance or if uninsured driver. Once your insurance company determines the vehicle has been totaled and you accept their payout of the cash value of the vehicle the title to the vehicle is transferred to the insurance company. Then you should remove the Tesla vehicle from your Tesla account.

Place an order now, insurance will payoff / pay you for the car
And if not, you must then decide whether it's worth the effort/cost of taking the other driver or their insurance, or your insurance, to court for the difference or just letting it go. If it's their fault, and it can be proven, then they have to cover all the damage to you, including a rental car etc. A jury of your peers may decide, though. Or a random judge. Or a settlement. Most people just move on, rather than finding a lawyer. The payment will be close enough so you are happy and accept.

Tesla has a $3750 off end of year sale right now.

Because next year some buyers in the US may qualify for IRA tax credits, which may be a number between $0 and $7000 and may be $3750. We don't really know yet. Bird in hand and new car soon may be worth it. Orders will go up once the tax credit is known, and the new year starts.

There are tons of Performance and LRs available in Northeast inventory right now. You could get a replacement car this week if you wanted.

Also - you wouldn't know if it's truly totaled that quickly. Has your insurance company appraised it yet?

While I agree it's *probably* totaled, it may come in just under what it would cost to total it, and they'll opt to repair instead.

I would guess that it depends upon the requirements of state in which you live (and of course, your insurance policy), but I had to specifically add a new car replacement policy (for an additional $52 per year) that provides a new vehicle as a replacement for two model years, and after that, a vehicle that is one model year newer with 20,000 fewer miles. If I didn't add the replacement policy, I would only get the depreciated value of the car. Of course, since the OP wasn't at-fault, they could certainly push the other driver's insurance company for a new replacement.

So sorry to hear about this. Was anyone injured?

While prices on new ones have gone up the prices of used have come down from their highs in June/July. Fight the insurance company if they try to offer you a lower value (which they probably will). Some good advice on how to calculate ACV was given here.

If you or a passenger was injured you may have a medical claim. I was in an accident 19 years ago and it took 24-48 hours before the whiplash, swelling, and back pain started. I still have major back issues to this day because of that accident.

There are tons of Performance and LRs available in Northeast inventory right now. You could get a replacement car this week if you wanted.

Also - you wouldn't know if it's truly totaled that quickly. Has your insurance company appraised it yet?

While I agree it's *probably* totaled, it may come in just under what it would cost to total it, and they'll opt to repair instead.
I don't know yet. My brother-in-law who is an insurance appraiser, is telling me its probably totaled so I'm just trying to be proactive.

this is very helpful! thank you so much!