Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New car trade-in value in 3 years?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know how much Tesla tends to mark up CPOs? I'm trying to figure out (roughly) what the trade-in value value of a new car purchased today might be in 2-3 years. Given how sales tax on vehicle purchases works in Washington State, I'm almost certain to trade it in to Tesla.

Another vector to consider: how does a lease residual relate to trade in value? 3 year leases seem to be running at 59% residuals.

Does anyone know how much Tesla tends to mark up CPOs? I'm trying to figure out (roughly) what the trade-in value value of a new car purchased today might be in 2-3 years. Given how sales tax on vehicle purchases works in Washington State, I'm almost certain to trade it in to Tesla.

Another vector to consider: how does a lease residual relate to trade in value? 3 year leases seem to be running at 59% residuals.

A friend of mine has a 2013 S85. It think he bought for around 80K. He was offered 43K and they said they will sell it for 49K. This is in Bellevue. He decided to keep it for another 2 years...

MSRP on my car was $89K. After 26 months I traded it in for $50K. Tesla sold it a month later for $57.5K. If my car was 2 months newer (i.e. Autopilot), I would have gotten another $10K and my car would have cost $2.5K more for the Autopilot add-on.

Maybe AP1 cars will suffer the same fate as my AP0 car, but I think their value will hold up a little better. Also, the loss of the EV tax credit will prop up the value of old cars.

bump .. curious other folks experiences ... with trading in .. as I most likely to do that 2-3 years down the road .. thanks! I wonder what a car with AP/2 will be worth S60 MSRP 76700 .. I am thinking at least 40k on a trade 3 years from now .. but who knows .. I think the expiration could hurt sales forcing writedowns ..

• Informative
Reactions: wcfree
bump .. curious other folks experiences ... with trading in .. as I most likely to do that 2-3 years down the road .. thanks! I wonder what a car with AP/2 will be worth S60 MSRP 76700 .. I am thinking at least 40k on a trade 3 years from now .. but who knows .. I think the expiration could hurt sales forcing writedowns ..
I can't think of a scenario in which purchasing would be a cost savings to leasing for a 2-3 year period. Maybe if you drove a ridiculous number of miles, but the depreciation hit for excessive miles would also cost you.