Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Car with cracked roof glass

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

4SUPER9

2022 Model S
Jun 6, 2013
So Cal
I was just inside my 8-day-old 75D, cleaning up my back seat floor mats after the rain, when I looked up and saw a curvy crack running along almost the entire length of the passenger side of the roof glass. It starts around the front passenger seat and curves its the way to the back. I wasn't sure at first, and cannot see the crack from the outside at all. But, unfortunately, it is real.

During my delivery, there was no run through of the vehicle with anyone. They walked me out to the car and just let me go. (well, they did give me a free iPhone charging cable after I complained that this should have been included). I am not sure I would have found it anyway, as I had to be sitting in the back seat and look up. Again, not at all visible otherwise.

I am trying to reach support now, but being a Sunday, I don't expect to get anywhere too fast. My biggest fear is that they somehow try to blame me, though there is absolutely no physical way I could have possibly caused this crack myself.

Reactions: 1375mlm
You'll be fine. Don't fret. Sucks you've got an issue but they'll fix it without a hassle.
Yep, you are correct. I was on hold with Tesla for 40 minutes, and started this thread while waiting. They answered and said they will order the part, which will take at least 3 weeks to arrive, then a couple of days to replace. The other sucky part is that I wanted to install my dashcams, but now have to wait until this is done.

Just curious, has anyone noticed any cracks that appear spontaneously AFTER delivery?

Yep, you are correct. I was on hold with Tesla for 40 minutes, and started this thread while waiting. They answered and said they will order the part, which will take at least 3 weeks to arrive, then a couple of days to replace. The other sucky part is that I wanted to install my dashcams, but now have to wait until this is done.

Just curious, has anyone noticed any cracks that appear spontaneously AFTER delivery?

Yes it happens way more with the 3. Been reading a lot about the rear passenger glass cracking with the 3. Very rare with S.

Reactions: 1375mlm
Hello @DrTaras. Long time.
As an update, Tesla has taken their sweet time on this. I called them 5 times over the past few weeks. Each time, they said they'll get back to me with an update. I finally got through to my local service center today. Turns out, they never ordered the replacement glass!!! They confirmed with me that they did today, but it will be some time before it comes in.

In the meantime, the crack in my glass has extended a few inches over the past few weeks. I have a trip planned to Mammoth in less than 2 days. Let's hope it holds up!

Tesla CSR is quite bad in following things though, and you need to keep hounding them to make sure they have the order in.
Even then your roof will probably take a while... i hear the front windshield takes painfully long as well.

But keep hassling them until they say its in there system, or its going to be lost in the matrix of limbo forever.

Its gotten significantly worse with the M3's rolling out.

Finally brought my car in today for a scheduled appt. They tried to charge me $950 to replace the glass roof. She said that something must have fallen on it and I was therefore responsible. Good thing I documented everything in email to my sales rep!

Glad you had everything documented. Also encouraged to hear a glass roof replacement is only $950. My guess was double that.

During my delivery, there was no run through of the vehicle with anyone. They walked me out to the car and just let me go. (well, they did give me a free iPhone charging cable after I complained that this should have been included).

Glad you were able to resolve it with SC. By the way, my delivery was the same. Took delivery MS 18 White end of December.

They showed me to my car (which I already knew where it was parked since I followed it as they drove it out for delivery time). Pretty much just did my own walk-through on my own as I waited to be called. Didn't see any major issues inside/out and just signed and took off.

Had taken it to the SC once to fix the following:
1. Ambient light on rear passenger side had crossed wire. Fixed
2. Complained about the rear view camera, at times, would go white unless I reset it or turn off, leave, and come back.
3. A little bit of the passenger seal around the door was coming off. No leak through from recent rain not a big deal for me. They said I can take back.

What I notice now, more so when I first took the delivery, was the gap, on the truck passenger side. Not as bad as the driver side but the gap is just massive. I know Tesla isn't known for the built and I know this isn't just my car as I see other Tesla's out there with noticeable gaps/panels. You would think a S that came out couple years ago, with a Dec 18 build, they would have fixed it/aligned it better. Not a deal breaker though. It's only noticeable if you look at it, and noticeable more because I know it exists.

I was just inside my 8-day-old 75D, cleaning up my back seat floor mats after the rain, when I looked up and saw a curvy crack running along almost the entire length of the passenger side of the roof glass. It starts around the front passenger seat and curves its the way to the back. I wasn't sure at first, and cannot see the crack from the outside at all. But, unfortunately, it is real.

During my delivery, there was no run through of the vehicle with anyone. They walked me out to the car and just let me go. (well, they did give me a free iPhone charging cable after I complained that this should have been included). I am not sure I would have found it anyway, as I had to be sitting in the back seat and look up. Again, not at all visible otherwise.

I am trying to reach support now, but being a Sunday, I don't expect to get anywhere too fast. My biggest fear is that they somehow try to blame me, though there is absolutely no physical way I could have possibly caused this crack myself.
Good luck. I found out that the service loaner I purchased has had a door and the rear bumper repainted at some point and they don't match. I discovered this when I took it to a clear bra installer who showed me... I never saw it because I too never got a formal walk-around and was purposefully holding off on washing the car to avoid swirling the paint until adequate protection was installed. I'm currently getting ping-ponged between three different service centers all saying the other location is responsible for handling my complaint..... like they're all franchise owned or something. Starting to feel like this company is a scam.

Mine just cracked the other day. Rear window...appears to be a short and it melted the glass where it shorted(distorted the glass)

Today, I noticed a strange reflection in my rear window and discovered it was a crack in my 4 month old model 3. It appears to emanate from the blackened area on the rear window. I can't say for sure it wasn't there when I bought the car, but I can say that nothing has happened to the car that should cause this.

Attachments

• Cracked Tesla Glass.JPG
    Cracked Tesla Glass.JPG
    345.9 KB · Views: 291
I too discovered a crack in my 3-day old Model S. Took it into Tesla Service and had them examine it. The Service Manager could see that there was obviously no impacts to the roof on the outside or from the inside and that it was a crack in an interior glass layer. It'll be replaced under warranty, but I have to wait 2 weeks for the replacement roof.

Suggest taking the car into Service to show them the crack and hopefully then they'll take care of it.

===
Additional details.

I picked my new Model S on Saturday, 5/18. On Tuesday, 5/21, during my PA State Inspection my local mechanic pointed out a crack in the passenger side of the glass roof (ugh!). I had already started a text message exchange with my Tesla Service Center about a software update issue and so sent a new text message about the cracked roof. Sent them a picture and the reply text in summary was: Since you didn't document the crack on delivery and took delivery, it's not covered under warranty and it will be $1400 to replace. I'm not happy. To make matters worse, I get emailed an invoice for the roof replacement (I found out later it's an automatic process). Eventually talked with a Delivery Manager on 5/23 and ranted about how not replacing the roof was bad customer service, a poor reflection on Tesla, etc. She was professional and just recommend I bring the car in the next day. So, on 5/24 brought the car to the service center. The Service Manager exams the crack and sees how it is obviously not from external impact and immediately says it'll be take care of. Now I'm happy.

So I learned
- Text Messaging, although convenient, is not really the way to communicate service issues
- Delivery Mangers are not really empowered to do anything
- Ignore emailed invoices
- Deal with Service directly and in person, which is inconvenient since it's a 1 hour drive away

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
Hearing this is making me nervous. Just placed order for Raven P100DL, taking advantage of the ludicrous upgrade offer. The glass roof has a very cool look, but I hope it's not going to lead to frequent problems. The roof on my 2015 S90D with a sunroof has been flawless.

Hearing this is making me nervous. Just placed order for Raven P100DL, taking advantage of the ludicrous upgrade offer. The glass roof has a very cool look, but I hope it's not going to lead to frequent problems. The roof on my 2015 S90D with a sunroof has been flawless.
Don't fret. This is not a common problem. Just do a deep inspection of the vehicle upon delivery. Look for any cracks from the inside, not just the outside.

Just got mine delivered yesterday (Model S long range). Didn't notice the crack at delivery because you cannot see it in the shade, but once we got some sun, it is clear along the passenger side in a very weird and winding way. Used the mobile app to schedule and appointment, but that is about 10 days out. Maybe I should call the service center tomorrow...

Just got mine delivered yesterday (Model S long range). Didn't notice the crack at delivery because you cannot see it in the shade, but once we got some sun, it is clear along the passenger side in a very weird and winding way. Used the mobile app to schedule and appointment, but that is about 10 days out. Maybe I should call the service center tomorrow...

That is what essentially happened to me with my Model S Long Range. See my post above. I'd definitely take into the Service Center ASAP at least to have them document it and get into the queue for a replacement. I was told it would take 2 weeks and after checking at the 2 week mark, the SC told they were still waiting for the replacement glass.