Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New car with Dent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My new car came with a dent on driver side and no one in Tesla found it before delivery. They suspect it might have happened in transportation. I was eager to take it home as i already made payment before delivery. During the delivery my DS said they will probably replace the door when i come back for service. Now its been with tesla service for 3 weeks and the latest update i get is it will get repainted later this week.
Initially i thought it will be paintless dent removal now Tesla is saying it needs repainting by body shop.
I really surprised a new car has to go through this. If i wanted to one with defects i would have chosen CPO but i paid full price for new car. I am very disappointed with the way its been handled taking 3 weeks for a dent removal and now its going through paint job. Any suggestions on what i can do here ?

Tesla essentially always defers to their repair shops for this stuff, and collision places strongly prefer to fill and repaint over PDR. I guess you could maybe ask them to try PDR first, and if it doesn't work, you'll pay for it out of pocket and they can continue with the full fill/paint repair process.

I had a chip taken out of my door while it was in for service and decided to just keep it as-is. I figured the repainted panels would hurt resale more than the damage.

My understanding is not much, since you accepted it with the dent. If you refused it, it would become an inventory car and sold to the next person. A new door would require painting I think..

IF they haven't done anything with it yet, you could see if a paintless dent repair place would fix it and send the bill to Tesla. If they have just handed it off to their body shop, the body shop may be doing what makes them the most money.

Reactions: MP3Mike