Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New car without newest software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of my M3LR on 3/27. I am in love with this car and will never buy another gas car.
One downside to my car is it doesn't have the newest software update. I can not customize my horn or play the boombox. I realized it is because it still has 2020.47.104 as the software. I heard it was normal to have older software when you take delivery since it is in a "factory mode," but everyone said it would update within a week. My car still has not updated to the newest software. Is anyone else who recently took delivery having this problem?

Yes, this is normal. It can take from "almost immediately" to over a month for your car to update from the factory firmware to whatever the next version is.

Here is one thread:

You can also look at the "similar threads" feature in the new forum software to find others with the same basic premise. Its normal, and you will just need to wait, there is no "forcing it".

Yes, this is normal. It can take from "almost immediately" to over a month for your car to update from the factory firmware to whatever the next version is.

Here is one thread:

You can also look at the "similar threads" feature in the new forum software to find others with the same basic premise. Its normal, and you will just need to wait, there is no "forcing it".
Thanks for the help!

Thanks for the help!

No problem.

People call these cars "smartphones on wheels" but one of the big differences is that, unlike most smartphones, we can not simply trigger an update for "the latest version". As a little more context, you will find that, during your ownership period, there will be times when you dont even get some specific update or other, as they (tesla) stage updates for various cars at different times, and sometimes even skip firmwares on some cars.

You will end up getting all the features you are supposed to have, eventually, but its very common for a person to miss some minor release number or other.

You can technically trigger a check for an update by visiting the "Software" page in the settings screen.

However, the updates are made available to different cars at different times (this appears to be at least partially random). Sometimes I've gotten an update sooner after it started to be distributed, and sometimes it feels I was last. If it is nothing is available for your car yet, it will just show you have the latest update.

Basically as everyone has said, you'll need to be patient for a bit..

A couple of things to make sure you get updates as soon as they’re available for your specific car:
  1. On the Controls > Software screen, make sure Software Updates is set to Advanced.
  2. Make sure you have both cellular coverage and WiFi access where you park.

I had older SW version on delivery day, scheduled delivery day quality fix appointment a week later, appointment took 4 days. When I got the car back, the cold weather fix was available to upgrade.

Not sure if the appointment bumped my car in the download queue or just coincidence.