Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Carbon Fiber Portable Curbside Charging Station

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I've been adding posts about this new version to my original portable charging station thread, started in March 2013, now that it's nearly ready I thought it might be helpful to owners interested in this kind of thing to post a new thread.

While the basic construction principles of the new version are the same as the old, I learned a few lessons that determined my objectives for the new:

Reduced weight: the original, which was made of a 9" diameter bollard cover, weighed about 40 pounds. The carbon fiber version is under 20. The weight savings were achieved by using 5" diameter carbon fiber tube and carbon fiber for all components (where it was possible) and reducing the length of the charging cable on the UMC to about 5 feet, all that's needed for the connection from the charging station to the car charge port.

Greater portability and plug-in convenience: Obviously the reduced weight helps with portability but I wanted to make it easer to plug the station into the Hubbell ground receptacle. The reduced diameter achieves that goal, making it easier to see the receptacle when the pin side of the Hubbell connector is plugged in.

Better handles: I had metal handles on the original which were uncomfortable when the station was carried from curbside to the side of my house (where it's stored when not in use). Fortunately, Rockwell Composites, which makes the carbon fiber tube I used, also makes some very cool carbon fiber handles, which are smooth and shaped for the palm. While I've not attached them yet, I'll place one on each side of the tube in a center balance point location.

Improved water proofing: While water incursion was not much of a problem on the old version, now and then in a heavy rain I'd find water accumulation where the 14-50 on the UMC plugs into the receptacle. I didn't impact charging but I was concerned. That was largely because it was impossible to eliminate water incursion through the charging station door. So on the new version I eliminated the door. The UMC is inside the tube, which is covered with a removable domed cap designed so that no water can enter the tube. In addition I made the point where the charging cable exits from the tube higher, so that when it rains water will run down on the cable toward the car, not back in the tube. And I added rubber grommets that will seal the cable where it exists the tube.

As my Model S is still in the shop for repairs from the rear-ender I experience on June 30, at the moment I don't have a car to plug the charging station into:) But I should have my car back this week. When I do, the remaining details of the charging station will be added, and I'll take additional photos of it plugged in and other details that may be of interest.

I may even be willing to build a few more for owners who have a need for this kind of portable curbside charging station. PM me if you're interested.

First, here's a photo of the original (which four years later looks much worse for the wear:)).

dsc_3100-jpg.18846

Now the new carbon fiber version:

fullsizeoutput_5f71.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_5f6f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_5f6a.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_5f6c.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_5f6e.jpeg

For the photo placed the carbon fiber handle on the top of the dome but both handle will be attached to the tube under the Tesla logo.

fullsizeoutput_5f64.jpeg

While I've been adding posts about this new version to my original portable charging station thread, started in March 2013, now that it's nearly ready I thought it might be helpful to owners interested in this kind of thing to post a new thread.

While the basic construction principles of the new version are the same as the old, I learned a few lessons that determined my objectives for the new:

Reduced weight: the original, which was made of a 9" diameter bollard cover, weighed about 40 pounds. The carbon fiber version is under 20. The weight savings were achieved by using 5" diameter carbon fiber tube and carbon fiber for all components (where it was possible) and reducing the length of the charging cable on the UMC to about 5 feet, all that's needed for the connection from the charging station to the car charge port.

Greater portability and plug-in convenience: Obviously the reduced weight helps with portability but I wanted to make it easer to plug the station into the Hubbell ground receptacle. The reduced diameter achieves that goal, making it easier to see the receptacle when the pin side of the Hubbell connector is plugged in.

Better handles: I had metal handles on the original which were uncomfortable when the station was carried from curbside to the side of my house (where it's stored when not in use). Fortunately, Rockwell Composites, which makes the carbon fiber tube I used, also makes some very cool carbon fiber handles, which are smooth and shaped for the palm. While I've not attached them yet, I'll place one on each side of the tube in a center balance point location.

Improved water proofing: While water incursion was not much of a problem on the old version, now and then in a heavy rain I'd find water accumulation where the 14-50 on the UMC plugs into the receptacle. I didn't impact charging but I was concerned. That was largely because it was impossible to eliminate water incursion through the charging station door. So on the new version I eliminated the door. The UMC is inside the tube, which is covered with a removable domed cap designed so that no water can enter the tube. In addition I made the point where the charging cable exits from the tube higher, so that when it rains water will run down on the cable toward the car, not back in the tube. And I added rubber grommets that will seal the cable where it exists the tube.

As my Model S is still in the shop for repairs from the rear-ender I experience on June 30, at the moment I don't have a car to plug the charging station into:) But I should have my car back this week. When I do, the remaining details of the charging station will be added, and I'll take additional photos of it plugged in and other details that may be of interest.

I may even be willing to build a few more for owners who have a need for this kind of portable curbside charging station. PM me if you're interested.

First, here's a photo of the original (which four years later looks much worse for the wear:)).

dsc_3100-jpg.18846

Now the new carbon fiber version:

fullsizeoutput_5f71.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_5f6f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_5f6a.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_5f6c.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_5f6e.jpeg

For the photo placed the carbon fiber handle on the top of the dome but both handle will be attached to the tube under the Tesla logo.

fullsizeoutput_5f64.jpeg