Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New cars coming with rear plate holders.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just saw this, anyone else come across these?

80D559AF-1BF1-4810-8273-4711045D322E.jpeg

Reactions: SoCalGuy
Here is a closeup. The holes that mount the frame to the car are different from what exist on the four hole trunk plate mount with the indented X pattern in the sheet metal (I hope that makes sense, you have to remove your plate to see what I am talking about, and only applies to Tesla's without this update -Pre December 2018 builds? I think the VIN was in the 166xxx range).

I carefully lifted the frame from the bottom and noticed that the sheet metal is now smooth behind the new frame. It is no longer indented with a convex X in the sheet metal.

I see no way for a retrofit without a new rear trunk piece. So, get rear ended if you really want this.

Another typical Tesla daily/weekly incremental improvement, it's just that this one we can see.
IMG_5973.jpg

Here is a closeup. The holes that mount the frame to the car are different from what exist on the four hole trunk plate mount with the indented X pattern in the sheet metal (I hope that makes sense, you have to remove your plate to see what I am talking about, and only applies to Tesla's without this update -Pre December 2018 builds? I think the VIN was in the 166xxx range).

I carefully lifted the frame from the bottom and noticed that the sheet metal is now smooth behind the new frame. It is no longer indented with a convex X in the sheet metal.

I see no way for a retrofit without a new rear trunk piece. So, get rear ended if you really want this.

Another typical Tesla daily/weekly incremental improvement, it's just that this one we can see.
View attachment 367427
Mine doesn’t have the X stamped in the sheet metal, but a horizontal line that matches the one near the top of the frame you have. Almost like it’s there to align it. I suspect yours is the same if you removed it completely.

Mine doesn’t have the X stamped in the sheet metal, but a horizontal line that matches the one near the top of the frame you have. Almost like it’s there to align it. I suspect yours is the same if you removed it completely.
I have the old style (no issues), but was at a service center yesterday and saw it. Took the pict because I had not seen this version before.

Here's a solution for those with the old and busted cheap arse plastic square speed grommets. It's a cheap, easy-ish, and MUCH nicer fix.

This is a carry over for us VW MK7 Golf folks cause zee Germans didn't even give us holes for our license plates and we had to figure out our own solution. :mad:

Well Nuts.
I bought mine from Ace Hardware here in the states.
PN 412384 10-24 thread with a 3/8" hole seemed to be the best option of those available. Ace offers a plethora of different 10-24 bolts as well: stainless steel, chrome, black, or white and different head options from hex socket, button allen, or phillips screw. So you picky OCDers like me can get exactly the color/style of bolt you want.
04779110311597736718.jpg

Here you can see the well nuts installed on my 2016 Golf R, notice the dealer didn't center the holes correctly from the dealership and hence the extra holes to the left from the machine screws they used. Sigh.
25661347014946154351.jpg

The BEST part about these well nuts is they have a nice thick lip to raise the license plate away from the sheet metal of the Tesla. With the OEM crap Tesla gives you the plate is RESTING on the sheet metal. BOOOOO!!!! :confused:
Again, another pic from my Golf R but it gives you the idea.
46465901373188958097.jpg

Just use an old credit card to pop out the stock grommets, then use your 3/8th drill device of choice and you're done. Not the for the faint of heart of course to be drilling into your new baby but it had to be done.

Here's a solution for those with the old and busted cheap arse plastic square speed grommets. It's a cheap, easy-ish, and MUCH nicer fix.

This is a carry over for us VW MK7 Golf folks cause zee Germans didn't even give us holes for our license plates and we had to figure out our own solution. :mad:

Well Nuts.
I bought mine from Ace Hardware here in the states.
PN 412384 10-24 thread with a 3/8" hole seemed to be the best option of those available. Ace offers a plethora of different 10-24 bolts as well: stainless steel, chrome, black, or white and different head options from hex socket, button allen, or phillips screw. So you picky OCDers like me can get exactly the color/style of bolt you want.
04779110311597736718.jpg

Here you can see the well nuts installed on my 2016 Golf R, notice the dealer didn't center the holes correctly from the dealership and hence the extra holes to the left from the machine screws they used. Sigh.
25661347014946154351.jpg

The BEST part about these well nuts is they have a nice thick lip to raise the license plate away from the sheet metal of the Tesla. With the OEM crap Tesla gives you the plate is RESTING on the sheet metal. BOOOOO!!!! :confused:
Again, another pic from my Golf R but it gives you the idea.
46465901373188958097.jpg

Just use an old credit card to pop out the stock grommets, then use your 3/8th drill device of choice and you're done. Not the for the faint of heart of course to be drilling into your new baby but it had to be done.
I was thinking of using nurserts originally, but well nuts do look easier and better with the spacing.

Here is a picture of the above mentioned horizontal line, I’m thinking the new plate mount would fit.

Attachments

• 204C1692-4765-4419-97FE-11B2D7FC7852.jpeg
    204C1692-4765-4419-97FE-11B2D7FC7852.jpeg
    150 KB · Views: 96