Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Casting Machine

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an order in for a Model Y to hopefully be delivered by the end of September. I'm reading that the factory is currently installing a new casting machine that can do a "single piece casting" of the model Y. I'm assuming that while this is great, it will be a relatively small impact overall on the Model Y and I don't need to wait. Do you all agree?

Electrek is reporting that one of the casting machines is operating in Fremont and another is being assembled, but so far they are only putting out prototypes and there is no set date for when the new parts will actually show up in finished cars.
I assume that they will start producing parts for production cars in the next couple months. But is it worth waiting for? Sounds like the major benefit will be that they can produce the cars faster, but will it change the actual Model Y?

I don't think it will really have any impact to the overall Model Y experience, from an owners perspective. The part is lighter (something like 30%) compared to the two pieces currently being used. It should also have more rigidity to it since it doesn't have two pieces bonded/welded together, but how this will "improve" the model Y is really unknown. Overall production activities will be more efficient and somewhat faster, and in volume the overall cost to Tesla will be less. Do I think it should impact your decision to whether to wait for it or now, no, I don't. Like many have said, if you are always waiting for the next iteration so you don't feel like you are missing out, then what you will really be missing out on is owning a Tesla.

It wold be like saying people shouldn't buy the Model 3 because it isn't using the two piece rear structure like the Y, and instead should wait for the Model 3 to get the two pieces, or the 1 piece. Will it really change the overall experience of driving the model 3?

I don't think it will really have any impact to the overall Model Y experience, from an owners perspective. The part is lighter (something like 30%) compared to the two pieces currently being used. It should also have more rigidity to it since it doesn't have two pieces bonded/welded together, but how this will "improve" the model Y is really unknown. Overall production activities will be more efficient and somewhat faster, and in volume the overall cost to Tesla will be less. Do I think it should impact your decision to whether to wait for it or now, no, I don't. Like many have said, if you are always waiting for the next iteration so you don't feel like you are missing out, then what you will really be missing out on is owning a Tesla.

It wold be like saying people shouldn't buy the Model 3 because it isn't using the two piece rear structure like the Y, and instead should wait for the Model 3 to get the two pieces, or the 1 piece. Will it really change the overall experience of driving the model 3?

I agree. I figure 30% of that one part might save 30lbs, but in a 4000 vehicle, I won't notice it. I also agree that Tesla seems to make a minor change every couple of months. If I wait for the next thing, I will be waiting forever. I just wanted to see if I was right in my thinking. Thanks!