Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Chademo Adapter fails to lock

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

I just got a new Chademo adapter from Tesla to replace one I rented from QC Charge.

The new one will not lock onto the Chademo plug (Efacec station with a Yazaki CHV-04 connector). I checked for debris or obstructions and none are there.

I read that there is a electromagnetic lock on the connector and I think that fails to engage.

Since everything else is identical could it be a chademo adapter firmware problem? Anyone hear of this type of problem?

Thanks!
Al

In addition to trying it at multiple locations, be aware that CHAdeMO stations vary in their connector designs. If you haven't used the specific station you tried, that could be the problem. I had difficulty with the plugs at this station on a recent road trip, for instance, because the plug on the station didn't automatically "snap" into place on the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter. Instead, I had to pull the lever on the end of the station's connector. This is similar to the lever on a gas pump's hose; but on this CHAdeMO station, pulling the lever "locks" it to the CHAdeMO adapter (or socket in a CHAdeMO vehicle). There's a separate button to release the connection. It was a confusing design to me, but a maintenance person helped me out with it. The point for you is that you may need to do something non-obvious to get the connection to "stick."

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
I don't know if there's multiple version of the Chademo adapter, but I bought one last month and I was not able to make it work with the chargers in my town.

In Quebec, Canada, we have the "Electric Circuit" that is pretty much everywhere and the only Chademo charger near me. I tried 4 of their charger and everything I get the same locking problem.

I made some research only and I found someone using a Electric Circuit Chademo charger with a Tesla adapter on a Model 3 SR+ and it was working without problem, so I don't know what's up with that.

I have a feeling that the Chademo gun can't go far enough to be able to lock into the adapter, so I'm considering to scratch a little plastic from my Tesla adapter, maybe that will help.

I have a feeling that the Chademo gun can't go far enough to be able to lock into the adapter, so I'm considering to scratch a little plastic from my Tesla adapter, maybe that will help.
Please don't do that.
It is very likely one of two possibilities:
1. Very frustratingly, because of the CHAdeMO plug itself being round it does not have a very solid physical indication of being rightside up or upside down, and there have been plenty of people who have unknowingly been pushing it in upside down, and it does go in most of the way, and they are having trouble with it not going in all the way or not locking.

2. Also pretty likely what @srs5694 said. Some of the CHAdeMO handles on some brands of stations don't have a spring mounted latch that just clicks when you push the handle into the Tesla adapter. The ones from Aerovironment (now known as Webasto) over in Oregon and Washington have that kind of lever he was talking about. It confused me the first time I was trying to use them. You push it in, and it just keeps falling back out, and I couldn't figure out what was going on for a bit. We are used to levers or buttons being a "release" for a latch. This is the opposite. You get the handle pushed in, and then you have to pull that lever to engage the lock. It seems weird and backward and would not be immediately obvious.