Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New CHAdeMO adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla website show CHAdeMO adapters sold out. They already reduced the price from $1K to $450 before these sold out. Wonder if they are bringing out new adapter (hopefully at a reduced price), similar to the way they rolled out the new Wall connector at a reduced price? Really want one for road trips as these are supposedly needed for SC blank spots like the 101 on west coast.

Tesla website show CHAdeMO adapters sold out. They already reduced the price from $1K to $450 before these sold out. Wonder if they are bringing out new adapter (hopefully at a reduced price), similar to the way they rolled out the new Wall connector at a reduced price? Really want one for road trips as these are supposedly needed for SC blank spots like the 101 on west coast.
I don't believe they ever sold for $1000, that was the listed price when they weren't yet available. They've been $450 for at least the past year so it's not like they dropped the price before they sold out.

I believe it's been sold out from time to time ever since it first became available.

I certainly hope this time it's because there's a new one. I'd love to have the 50kW limit lifted (not many CHAdeMO stations out there which can do more, but I imagine that will change with time). And if we're really dreaming, it would be awesome if version 2 was a combo CHAdeMO/CCS adapter. Lower price would be great too. But I'm not holding my breath.

Reactions: Jonas_man
I believe it's been sold out from time to time ever since it first became available.

I certainly hope this time it's because there's a new one. I'd love to have the 50kW limit lifted (not many CHAdeMO stations out there which can do more, but I imagine that will change with time). And if we're really dreaming, it would be awesome if version 2 was a combo CHAdeMO/CCS adapter. Lower price would be great too. But I'm not holding my breath.

A combo CHAdeMO/CCS would be great, but I would not hold my breath. That's got to be a relatively low priority given the other things going on at Tesla right now. :)

I think a CCS adapter is likely sometime in the not too distant future, since CCS seems to be winning the standards war, and there are a huge number of stations in Europe now.

A single adapter that can do both is probably far too much to hope for, though.

I think a CCS adapter is likely sometime in the not too distant future, since CCS seems to be winning the standards war, and there are a huge number of stations in Europe now.

A single adapter that can do both is probably far too much to hope for, though.
A single adapter that can do both? I wonder if it comes with a suitcase to carry such a gigantic bulky monstrosity.

A combo CHAdeMO/CCS would be great, but I would not hold my breath. That's got to be a relatively low priority given the other things going on at Tesla right now. :)

The connectors are different so that is highly unlikely, that adapter would have to be huge or unwieldy. (Or maybe two adapters that you daisy chained, but that would probably cause too much insertion loss.)

I fully expect to see a CCS adapter appears once there are more CCS chargers around.

I have read that Tesla is working with the CCS body as well as working on an adaptor to support both, here's one example of such an article:

Tesla is working on a charging adapter that can support both CHAdeMO and SAE J1772 DC

The benefit of supporting CCS in the future is there is work towards the SAE Combo (or CCS) supporting 300kW charging compared to the 120kW superchargers. This would effectively halve the current times to charge of a supercharger if such stations came out. I think the near future plan of CCS is to support 150kW... Also, these are likely the charger station network chargers that Volkswagen is seemingly going to be building as part of their TDI settlement from some recent reports I read.

There aren't enough CHADEMO stations for me to consider an adapter; however, if the high charger rate CCS stations start being built & Tesla releases an adapter for it (even if it doesn't support CHADEMO) I'll likely consider getting one.

I have read that Tesla is working with the CCS body as well as working on an adaptor to support both, here's one example of such an article:

Tesla is working on a charging adapter that can support both CHAdeMO and SAE J1772 DC

The benefit of supporting CCS in the future is there is work towards the SAE Combo (or CCS) supporting 300kW charging compared to the 120kW superchargers. This would effectively halve the current times to charge of a supercharger if such stations came out. I think the near future plan of CCS is to support 150kW... Also, these are likely the charger station network chargers that Volkswagen is seemingly going to be building as part of their TDI settlement from some recent reports I read.

There aren't enough CHADEMO stations for me to consider an adapter; however, if the high charger rate CCS stations start being built & Tesla releases an adapter for it (even if it doesn't support CHADEMO) I'll likely consider getting one.
Vaporware until proven otherwise.

Reactions: Tree95
The benefit of supporting CCS in the future is there is work towards the SAE Combo (or CCS) supporting 300kW charging compared to the 120kW superchargers. This would effectively halve the current times to charge of a supercharger if such stations came out.

Not unless something changes battery technology/cooling wise. How long do you actually get the 120kW from the Superchargers now? Doesn't it start to ramp-down after ~10 minutes? So with a 240kW charger maybe it would start ramping down after ~5 minutes, but the remaining 20-90 minutes would still go at the slower speed.

Above 150 kW would probably require going to an 800 Volt system. On the 400V system, 150 kW is 375 A, which already needs really thick cables. 300 kW would be 750 A, I don't think you could really do this with flexible cables safely.

You might be able to get away with it if the cables were liquid cooled, but that only solves the thickness issue, the cable is still inefficient and wastes a lot of power if you design it like that.

Plus, 375 A is a charging rate of around 4.4C in a model S 85, which is probably already above the limit of what's safe for the battery. 750A wouldn't be advisable at all.