Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New CHAdeMO adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The connectors are different so that is highly unlikely, that adapter would have to be huge or unwieldy. (Or maybe two adapters that you daisy chained, but that would probably cause too much insertion loss.)

I fully expect to see a CCS adapter appears once there are more CCS chargers around.

I've been expecting to see separate adapters too - but the daisy chain seems like an interesting idea.

With the right firmware in the CHAdeMO adapter, it could just take a simple dumb adapter to physically match the CCS plug (and having that attached would tell the smart adapter it needs to "speak CCS" instead of CHAdeMO - the firmware would have both options programmed in to it.)

What is this concern about insertion loss, though?

I've been expecting to see separate adapters too - but the daisy chain seems like an interesting idea.

With the right firmware in the CHAdeMO adapter, it could just take a simple dumb adapter to physically match the CCS plug (and having that attached would tell the smart adapter it needs to "speak CCS" instead of CHAdeMO - the firmware would have both options programmed in to it.)

What is this concern about insertion loss, though?

Insertion loss is the extra resistance that is created with each connector. Every connector you add in a hookup adds resistance which causes heat creation and lost power. So you want to keep the number of connectors/adapters to a minimum to avoid heat issues, as well as so more of the power actually makes it into the car.

• Informative
Reactions: Saghost
CCS is the growing standard internationally... I doubt it's the reason they are out of stock, but I do think it's viable that there is a new CHAdeMO adapter that might also support CCS coming in the future. Tesla has indicated collaboration with fleshing out the new CCS development to provide 150-300kW charging capability (~140kW for superchargers currently)

Plus, 375 A is a charging rate of around 4.4C in a model S 85, which is probably already above the limit of what's safe for the battery. 750A wouldn't be advisable at all.
Actually, 375A is only about 1.7C for an S85.

As a sanity check, think about 135KW superchargers... they can supply about 335A at max power, which isn't too far from 375, and they charge in the neighborhood of 1.5C max...

Actually, 375A is only about 1.7C for an S85.

As a sanity check, think about 135KW superchargers... they can supply about 335A at max power, which isn't too far from 375, and they charge in the neighborhood of 1.5C max...

You're correct, I messed up the calculation. C = power kW / capacity kWh. I accidentally computed it as: current A / capacity kWh.

Still, I'm not sure what the upper charging rate should be without risking long-term damage to the battery. It's something that would have to be considered for a charging rate higher than the superchargers.

CCS isn't big in the US (yet?) but look at a map of CCS chargers in Europe and it's a totally different story. That's a big market for Tesla, and even though they use a different charge port in the cars there, I'd assume that any work on a CCS adapter would apply fairly easily to both charge port types.

Reactions: MP3Mike