Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New changes to Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After 2k miles I’m mostly comfortable w the lane change buttons. And I think the yoke is fun I wouldn’t trade the round steering wheel for that. The horn is a huge miss. I’m guessing the design team had no other options including using the airbag as a button.

Tesla prob just trying to grab the 10 extra buyers who said I’m never buying the S w that yoke. They must be getting desperate.

Has anyone actually confirmed what "higher thermal capability brake calipers" mean? I'm likely wrong, but it is hard to believe there is a significant difference like additional pistons, etc. Otherwise they would clearly say it. This sounds like a marketing phrase for something simple like some plastic brake ducting.

I'm curious what the confirmed change is.

For the round wheel, there are still no stalks. So outside of having something round to hold onto, there's no change. My issue isn't with the yoke, it took me a very short time to get used to it.

It is the horn (and to a slightly lesser extent, the high beam flashers). In an emergency situation, it takes too long to find. By the time you do, the situation has passed. It is a safety issue. Turn signals are okay since you can rest your thumb on the raised section and immediately know where the corresponding left/right signals are.

If no stalks, the round wheel doesn't change anything other than MAYBE it is slightly easier to do K turns or make tight turns in a parking lot.

That's just me.

It is the horn (and to a slightly lesser extent, the high beam flashers). In an emergency situation, it takes too long to find. By the time you do, the situation has passed. It is a safety issue. Turn signals are okay since you can rest your thumb on the raised section and immediately know where the corresponding left/right signals are.
Agreed the horn is the key. Yoke itself is ok, horn sucks trying to find it when needed. I am wondering what $700 retrofit will do about horn?

Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Agreed the horn is the key. Yoke itself is ok, horn sucks trying to find it when needed. I am wondering what $700 retrofit will do about horn?

99.9% certain it will do nothing.

Yeah, probably nothing at all.

HOWEVER, Tesla makes changes all the time. Maybe this new iteration has some sort of wiring behind the airbag to support horn functionality. I know the old ones did not (Munro confirmed it).

Impossible to know until someone gets their hands on it.

Still smart by Tesla. Costs them nothing to make a round wheel and gets them an extra $700 for a retrofit. Owners know what you get a with a yoke. The "Tesla haters" who never drove one (and never had any intention to) will be the ones to complain. Now it has a round wheel, nothing to complain about anymore. Move onto the next thing to hate. :p

Reactions: Bull and zoomer0056
Yeah, probably nothing at all.

HOWEVER, Tesla makes changes all the time. Maybe this new iteration has some sort of wiring behind the airbag to support horn functionality. I know the old ones did not (Munro confirmed it).

Impossible to know until someone gets their hands on it.

Still smart by Tesla. Costs them nothing to make a round wheel and gets them an extra $700 for a retrofit. Owners know what you get a with a yoke. The "Tesla haters" who never drove one (and never had any intention to) will be the ones to complain. Now it has a round wheel, nothing to complain about anymore. Move onto the next thing to hate. :p
I'm curious what they will "stock" in the showrooms: yoke or wheel versions. My gut says yoke, at least at first. But, over time, I suspect it'll be the wheel (least disruptive).

Reactions: Bull
I just noticed additional vehicle information now calls out ‘Brake package: base’. Maybe after the flag is set to carbon ceramic it’ll unlock 200mph…
Yes. That just arrived. Interestingly I was looking at this page earlier today and it wasn’t there. Tesla just pushed this to our cars tonight.

Then all the 2021 Plaid owners can get officially po’ed at Tesla for false advertising regarding the 200mph top speed, since it likely is a $20k upgrade (carbon ceramics) to get it now, and not wheels/tires as advertised - “available Fall, 2021.”