Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Charge Port Installed (Cold Weather Version)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reachout and explain that you have been having charging issues. But please only do this if you actually have been having issues.

Funny story - sort of. I fully agree with this, and would not ask for the replacement part until it was widely available unless I was having recurring problems with the charge port.

However, I didn't want to reply to this and say "it has not yet happened to me, so I am not going to reach out to service yet" because I didn't want to give myself "the evil eye". (You know, as soon as you say something hasn't happened to you, the next day, it happens to you".

Well, this morning, I needed to leave the house early to get my son to school to catch the bus for his ski day (seems like in my day, we just went to school....but that's another story). I typically set the car to start charging in the middle of the night so it finishes charging as close as possible to when I leave in the morning. I drove around quite a bit on the weekend so the SOC when I plugged it in was pretty low (about 25%) and I left earlier than usual so it had not finished charging when I was ready to leave.

I get to the car, load up the ski stuff etc and then press the button on the HPWC handle to remove it, and lo and behold, it was locked - would not come out. My first thought was "oh no, this must be because I was smug that my charging cable never locked on me, now when I am in a rush, I can't remove the charging cable!".

I tried pressing the button a few more times, and it would not come out of the charging port. In my head, I started thinking about the pull tab in the trunk, if I pull too hard will I break it, etc and then I decided maybe I should press the "stop charging" button on the app on my phone. I opened the app, pressed stop charging, and I was immediately thereafter able to remove the charging cable from the charge port.

While it was a big relief, I expected the charging to stop once the car was unlocked and I pressed the button on the HPWC handle. Should it? This may be the first time I tried to remove the HPWC cable from the charge port before the car had finished charging, so I can't definitively say what the expected behavior is, but I would have thought that if it was charging, pressing the button on the wand would stop it charging, but that does not seem to have been the case, at least this morning.

Funny story - sort of. I fully agree with this, and would not ask for the replacement part until it was widely available unless I was having recurring problems with the charge port.

However, I didn't want to reply to this and say "it has not yet happened to me, so I am not going to reach out to service yet" because I didn't want to give myself "the evil eye". (You know, as soon as you say something hasn't happened to you, the next day, it happens to you".

Well, this morning, I needed to leave the house early to get my son to school to catch the bus for his ski day (seems like in my day, we just went to school....but that's another story). I typically set the car to start charging in the middle of the night so it finishes charging as close as possible to when I leave in the morning. I drove around quite a bit on the weekend so the SOC when I plugged it in was pretty low (about 25%) and I left earlier than usual so it had not finished charging when I was ready to leave.

I get to the car, load up the ski stuff etc and then press the button on the HPWC handle to remove it, and lo and behold, it was locked - would not come out. My first thought was "oh no, this must be because I was smug that my charging cable never locked on me, now when I am in a rush, I can't remove the charging cable!".

I tried pressing the button a few more times, and it would not come out of the charging port. In my head, I started thinking about the pull tab in the trunk, if I pull too hard will I break it, etc and then I decided maybe I should press the "stop charging" button on the app on my phone. I opened the app, pressed stop charging, and I was immediately thereafter able to remove the charging cable from the charge port.

While it was a big relief, I expected the charging to stop once the car was unlocked and I pressed the button on the HPWC handle. Should it? This may be the first time I tried to remove the HPWC cable from the charge port before the car had finished charging, so I can't definitively say what the expected behavior is, but I would have thought that if it was charging, pressing the button on the wand would stop it charging, but that does not seem to have been the case, at least this morning.
From my understanding, if the car is still charging you have to press and hold the button for several seconds.

I use a chargepoint home charger so I'm not 100% sure. But i thought ive read that somewhere and it "fixed" the issue.

Reactions: Cirrus MS100D

The HPWC works like the UMC, press and hold the button to stop charging and then release the charging cable.

Something I’ve run into is that water has gotten under the exterior of the button so in the cold (like now) the button can freeze solid and not work at all.

Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
You have to wait until the LED changes to white before removing the cable. Sometimes with phone-as-key it won't even stop charging. Usually all it takes for me is to press the button, wait a second or two, and remove cable. But every now and then it doesn't stop charging. In this case I usually try and open the driver door, and then try the cable button again, which is mostly successful.

I just reached out to Testa Lawrence and got an immediate reply saying they will send the mobile team to replace the charge port. I didn't mention that I knew about the new part, just wrote an email follow up to my initial complaint from months ago. Mobile team already reached out to say they are on it. Colour me impressed by the response time! :) Hopefully the new part works well.

Mobile Service just finished installing the redesigned charge port for me. In and out in about 30 min. Great service! Hopefully the new part solves the freezing locking pin issue.

I had tesla mobile service come to my place and they fixed the charging port. I haven't had an issue but then again i haven't visited a supercharger in a while now. it seems thats where i was having the most issues anyways.

Reactions: Tony_YYZ