Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New charger install or just a 32A socket? (UK)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Alan

Sep 18, 2010
UK
I am lucky enough to have a riverside holiday home on the Norfolk Broads (UK). My wife drives a Model S (85kWh) and I drive a Roadster 2.0 (53kWh) I also have an electric boat (20kWh).

For charging at the moment we use an existing outdoor socket. It works OKish as we usually only have one car with us and stay for several days. One day however I will end up with all three near empty and it would take over 3 days to charge them one at a time!

The obvious solution is to leave the 13A socket for the boat & have a different way of charging the cars. Any thoughts on the following options:

A) Get a 7kW Type 2 charger with tethered cable installed. Seem to be about £300 after grant in the UK (was free in the past?). The pro here is that any friends staying can charge. The minus is that I also need to buy an adaptor (Henry Sharps CAN or similar) to charge the Roadster.

B) Just get a 32A commando socket installed (about £60). Both Tesla's have mobile chargers that can use this. Its also a bit smaller / neater.

At the moment I am leaning towards B) but would welcome any advice. Thanks!