Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Charging Behavior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New charging behavior showed up yesterday and is currently repeating today.

For the past year my powerwalls have always charged to 100% before exporting to the grid, but yesterday they charged to 96/97% (around 1pm) and then immediately decreased to a small trickle charge for the rest of the afternoon peaking out at 99% before I tuned the AC on at 4pm. I'm in Self-Powered mode. See image below.

I did get a firmware update on Wednesday to 22.26.1 and a Tesla app update yesterday, but not sure they are related. Does anyone know why this changed? And is there anything I can set/reset to insure it returns to previous behavior of charging to 100%?
IMG_1901.PNG

Thanks!
bwb1

Several owners of power walls have reported the same issue after the 22.26 update. Mine started this behavior after the 22.26 upgrade and begins this odd behavior at around 88% filled. My understanding is that it has been reported to Tesla who is looking into it.

Why is this behavior a problem?

Cheers, Wayne
Not really a problem - just very different from the any other day over the past year or so I've had my powerwalls.

I do like to be at 100% charge by 4pm so that when running my AC (I'm in Palm Springs and it's hot) that I have enough charge to last through my 4-9pm peak rates. I'm a net producer over the year, but during summer months I barley make it past 9pm when the AC is running constantly. Every percent of charge helps.

Several owners of power walls have reported the same issue after the 22.26 update. Mine started this behavior after the 22.26 upgrade and begins this odd behavior at around 88% filled. My understanding is that it has been reported to Tesla who is looking into it.
For the last 2 days I too am seeing this new behavior. I liked it better the way it was so I’ve switch to self powered mode.

For the last 2 days I too am seeing this new behavior. I liked it better the way it was so I’ve switch to self powered mode.
I'm in self-powered mode and still have this new behavior - so I think it may be mode agnostic.

I've had four straight days now with the lower charging rate starting between 93% and 97%. I suspect this depends on how much time is remaining before either my 4pm rate change or sunset so that the trickle charge can reach 100% before sundown. Not sure if it also accounts for my usage rate to calculate time/rate needed to achieve this.

I had a similar problem yesterday that went away in the afternoon.

Can anyone tell me how to find my Powerwall firmware version? All I can find in my app is the Powerwall Gateway version (currently 22.18.3 21x0ad81). But it sure sounds like I'm having 22.26 issues...