Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New charging message/warning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been charging nightly to 90% for a couple of months. Ever since I saw Kim's video on the subject. Yesterday morning I got the 2019.5.15 update. This morning, I has warning message that said something to the effect that charging beyond my daily usage on a regular basis can degrade the battery. Has anyone else seen this message or understand what it means? I wish I had snapped a picture of it. If it happens again, I will.

Yes, seen it on my S. There's always been some version of this message. It means, if your charge limiter is set to something beyond 90% and you take a few charges in a row up to anything beyond 90% you get this warning.

Is your limiter set to above 90? Even though you might manually stop the charge at something below that every time?

To rule out something funky, set your limiter to 80% and don't charge beyond that for a while, several in a row.. The message should not appear. If it does, you have a funky issue and call Tesla service.

Yes, seen it on my S. There's always been some version of this message. It means, if your charge limiter is set to something beyond 90% and you take a few charges in a row up to anything beyond 90% you get this warning.

Is your limiter set to above 90? Even though you might manually stop the charge at something below that every time?

To rule out something funky, set your limiter to 80% and don't charge beyond that for a while, several in a row.. The message should not appear. If it does, you have a funky issue and call Tesla service.
Thanks. I had moved it to 91 a few days ago. I thought I set it back, but maybe not. I'll check.

I've been charging nightly to 90% for a couple of months. Ever since I saw Kim's video on the subject. Yesterday morning I got the 2019.5.15 update. This morning, I has warning message that said something to the effect that charging beyond my daily usage on a regular basis can degrade the battery. Has anyone else seen this message or understand what it means? I wish I had snapped a picture of it. If it happens again, I will.
I get same message.

I was told by veteran Tesla owners as well as technicians to never charge 90 or over on a regular/daily basis. Only do that if you are going to be driving longer distances and/or roadtrips and only if you are going to be immediately driving it after it reaches 90 or over. They said the sweet spot is 80-85 at max and to not go below 15 to maximize your battery for daily driving.

So basically if you continue to charge to 90 or over, it will degrade your battery. It's not recommended.

I was told by veteran Tesla owners as well as technicians to never charge 90 or over on a regular/daily basis. Only do that if you are going to be driving longer distances and/or roadtrips and only if you are going to be immediately driving it after it reaches 90 or over. They said the sweet spot is 80-85 at max and to not go below 15 to maximize your battery for daily driving.

So basically if you continue to charge to 90 or over, it will degrade your battery. It's not recommended.
Per Elon, 90 is the new 80. Watch the LikeTesla youtube clip from late last year.

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H
Interesting. I wonder why people are getting messages saying it can be damaging then when they are charging at 90 or over- per the original messages above?

I wonder if some folks are accidentally set to 91% rather than 90%? The UI is not very precise (though it does seem to snap to the 90% mark). I try to charge to 80% and it is difficult to get it exactly where I want in the UI.

Reactions: RachH
I was told by veteran Tesla owners as well as technicians to never charge 90 or over on a regular/daily basis.
I certainly wouldn't use the word "never", but it's generally true. It's a gradual sliding scale of what's better or worse for the battery. 70% is better than 80%, which is better than 90%, which is better than 97%, etc. And the relative harm or benefit is more intense the closer it is to 100%, so dropping it that first 10% from 100 down to 90 is the most relief for the battery versus that next lesser difference from 90 down to 80.

But it's just not using common sense to say that Tesla is recommending 90% as being perfect or ideal. If 91% is bad, 90% certainly isn't awesome. It's a continuum and farther away from the top is still a little better. There is always going to be the tension between having high enough charge to have comfortable range to use versus being too high that it's hard on the battery.

There are three forces that cause degradation in batteries - number of cycles (and the depth of discharge and charge), temperature, and time. Temperature is supposed to be controlled by the cooling system. The depth of charge and discharge is up to the user, so you can limit it. But there is nothing you can do about the passage of time.

Charging to 90% may cause it to degrade faster than charging it to 80%, but in either case time-based degradation may be more a more significant factor.

I wonder if some folks are accidentally set to 91% rather than 90%? The UI is not very precise (though it does seem to snap to the 90% mark). I try to charge to 80% and it is difficult to get it exactly where I want in the UI.

I agree. I wish there was a more precise way to see exactly what you are setting the limit to. It's not very user friendly.

I agree. I wish there was a more precise way to see exactly what you are setting the limit to. It's not very user friendly.

I have been using the iPhone app “Remote S”. It lets you see percentages exactly. It also by default increments up and down using the plus minus arrows by 10% each time.

Frankly the ability to set a charge target more granularity than 10% increments is kind of silly.

Reactions: RachH
Message is not new as stated. It is the repetition over 90.0 pct that triggers it. I have charged to 100 a few times in the last few months and no message. My typical was 75, then 80 (summer) and recently 90 (winter). Sometimes I don't charge for days at a time-unplugged now at 39 pct, other times it goes to 65 and it is plugged every night. After 1.5 yrs and 14k my MS75D reports about 3.5 pct degradation!which appears better than average.

I've got the same charging alert message several times. Usually after its been plugged in. I always thought the motto was-"A happy Tesla is a plugged in Tesla."
I don't use my car that often but because of the extreme cold-I like to leave it plugged it, with a limit of 90-not 91....Anyway, recently these messages started appearing and I did take a pic of the screen. I called Tesla service and got someone who thought I was making it up. I told him I had a pic of it. After reading it to him SEVERAL times he just hummed and said..I'm looking at your car right now and notice you don't drive it much. Maybe you should set the charging limit to 70? I asked but why, as long as it's not over 90, it should be OK..Well, he said that he never heard of this message and it did not show up on the computer for alerts on my car..So I got no info from him except Good-bye...The way I look at it is this-I want to be able to rely on my car in case I have to go on a longer trip therefore I prefer to charge it to 90 not 70 unless I am given a serious reason why not. I did quickly lower it to 85!