Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Charging Port Behavior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a result of making my video, I can confirm you can remove the J1772 while the adapter is locked into the car. There's nothing locking the J1772 onto the adapter -- thus nothing preventing you from removing it. The J1772 connector itself would need a locking feature.

If I recall from your video, you recommend unlocking the car, then pulling the adapter out of the car with the J1772 handle still attached, then disconnecting the Tesla adapter from the J1772 after the whole assembly is out of the car. Is there an electrical reason for this, or was it simply easier to remove the adapter by utilizing the leverage from the J1772 handle?

To me, it seems more logical to unlatch and remove the J1772, hang it up on the charger, then go back to the car and pop the adapter out of the socket. Maybe that's not electrically safe due to how the combination of adapter and J1772 work together???

If I recall from your video, you recommend unlocking the car, then pulling the adapter out of the car with the J1772 handle still attached, then disconnecting the Tesla adapter from the J1772 after the whole assembly is out of the car. Is there an electrical reason for this, or was it simply easier to remove the adapter by utilizing the leverage from the J1772 handle?

To me, it seems more logical to unlatch and remove the J1772, hang it up on the charger, then go back to the car and pop the adapter out of the socket. Maybe that's not electrically safe due to how the combination of adapter and J1772 work together???

Since there's nothing active in the converter, there's no difference. They are logical equivalents.

Just leverage reasons. It's electrically safe either way. With the new adapters, it may be a moot point as it'll theoretically be easier to remove the adapter without the J1772 connector attached for leverage. Right now it's pretty hard.

So far I have only charged in my garage and just noticed that the car must be unlocked to open the charge port (equally must be unlocked to release the connector after charging). The manual I was provided and the online one both state that a key only needs to be in proximity:

With your key nearby, press and hold the button on the Tesla charging cable and the charge port door opens....

...Model S must be unlocked or able to recognize a key....

Is the proximity detection still in limbo with the extending door handles?

I've noticed the same thing. I always plug in just as I get out so the car is already unlocked; but I usually try to unplug before getting in the car, and that doesn't work. I can unlock the car, but usually I just touch a door handle and then it lets me unplug.

I too assume (hope?) this will change once the car is updated to extend the door handles when the key is near.

Yes, the logic needs to be updated. Right now when I pull in the garage I park the car and then press the charge port door open command from the screen. I then have to go out and grab my J1772 cable and adapter from the other side of the garage. When I do this the car senses I've walked away and locks thereby making it so the charge port door is open but now locked so I cannot insert the cable. I then have to unlock the car with the key fob before I can insert the J1772 adapter and cable. The better solution would be, as other's have suggested, that one should be able to open the charge port door with the key fob. This would allow me to park the car, go grab the cable, open the charge port door with the key fob, plug in a walk away. Much more efficient.

I thought you could remove the J1772 from the adapter, but not the adapter from the car when it's locked???

Not possible if the car is locked.

I'm thinking if I'm at a public station and someone else pulls up and sees the lights out, they may think the car is fully charged and pull the J1772 to use on their own car. Don't most other EVs have charge port lights (or some other light) that stays on?

If I walk up to my locked Model S without my key fob and press the unlatch putton on the J1772 (which anyone can do), the charge port unlocks as soon as the J1772 is unlatched, and both the J1772 as well as the adapter can be removed from the car. (The charge port does re-lock after a minute or so, which might be problematic if the adapter came out with the J1772. By the time the person unplugging your car noticed the adapter on the end of the J1772, he wouldn't be able to get it back into the charge port since it would have locked again.) Be careful at public charging stations.....if you adapter is missing, it might be sitting on the charging station or on your hood!

I am seeing different charging behavior and I'm not sure what the cause is. Last night I noticed a glow out the window coming from the driveway. I had plugged my Model S in earlier and discovered that both the dash display as well as the green circle around the charge port were on. Before, I distinctly remember observing the car going completely dark after I walk away. What is the cause of this new behavior?

I'm on 1.15.14 and I have auto-lock enabled. The key fob was not in the vicinity of the car at the time I noticed this.

I am seeing different charging behavior and I'm not sure what the cause is. Last night I noticed a glow out the window coming from the driveway. I had plugged my Model S in earlier and discovered that both the dash display as well as the green circle around the charge port were on. Before, I distinctly remember observing the car going completely dark after I walk away. What is the cause of this new behavior?

I'm on 1.15.14 and I have auto-lock enabled. The key fob was not in the vicinity of the car at the time I noticed this.
I experienced that once as well, turns out that the connection was not FULLY inserted, it looked like it, but upon fiddling it snapped in more completely...so there was a partial and intermittent connection.