Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Charging Station in Santa Fe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Grendal

SpaceX Moderator
Jan 31, 2012
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Hello everyone. I just spotted a new charging station in Santa Fe. It is located in the parking lot of the Sprouts grocery store at Zafarano and Cerrillos. There are plenty of restaurants and shopping within walking distance of this location. I'm sorry but I didn't find out what level of charging it can do. I just saw that it was there.

I used this charger twice in the past few days, with my Tesla CHAdeMO adapter. Like some of the new stations in Albuquerque, it requires a Greenlots account, but it is free. Although it took several attempts to get started, I did get it working each time. Peak charging was 103A@395V, or just over 40kW.
image.jpg

I like Santa Fe, this is good news that there is a charger there. Is the CHAdeMO adapter worth it for most folks? I thought CHAdeMO was on its way out in Europe...

@Panoz, For me, the CHAdeMO adapter is very useful and time-saving. My home is on Maui, and CHAdeMO is the only high speed charging available there (I don't think Tesla will ever install a Supercharger on Maui). But even here in New Mexico, where they just started installing the CHAdeMO stations, charging with the adapter has been quite convenient.

I like Santa Fe, this is good news that there is a charger there. Is the CHAdeMO adapter worth it for most folks? I thought CHAdeMO was on its way out in Europe...

CHAdeMO may eventually decline in Europe since Volkswagen, BMW, and Mercedes are supporting the SAE-CCS plug (which is an enhanced J1772), but I think reports of its death may be greatly exaggerated at this time. Here in the US I think it's a different story. There are CHAdeMOs all over and the number is still growing at a pretty good clip. I got my CHAdeMO adapter about a month ago and it has worked great for me since. I've got a major trip in July where I'll really need it. I tend to think of it as akin to back in the day when one would carry credit cards from multiple gas station lines, e.g., Standard, Phillips 66, Exxon, Citgo, etc. because they were easy to get and gave you more choices. Having the CHAdeMO adapter gives me more choices.

I actually think in the next five years you'll see 24-50kw chargers with connectors for CHAdeMO and CCS popping up in towns and exurbs outside-the-city as those towns try to do something to draw travellers (and their money) into the towns. It would be nice if they could also put a Tesla connector on those chargers, but it's not clear to me if Tesla doesn't allow that or the manufacturers just haven't been interested in it.