Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Charity Bet: Date of first time Starship reaches orbit.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well made me read the application, they applied for a 6 month window starting June 20th, gives them til December. 6 months of guessing....

Just a quick overview for the curious but busy reader

hats off to @Cosmacelf for a prescient charity bet thread. Little did you know Spacex would upstage it within days. So, why not start a new thread now? We know spacex is shooting for June22 but frankly it could be any ol day. To me if if it can go up to orbital altitude and perform a controlled descent than it has answered the major questions re heat shields, multiple engines, structural/mechanical integrity, etc. It will be a shame to not recover it. Oh well.
I have a proposal for the next charity bet (or at least A charity bet). And I think one with (it turns out) relatively simple measurement that will stimulate less discussion.

Launch date for first commercial / paying payload of the combo starship plus super heavy. I expect this to bypass an initial test launch that incorporates a mass simulator (how about a Signature Model S this time - maybe even SN 1!) as that isn't a commercial / paying customer.

This will include something as small as a cubesat. But if its riding along on a test flight for free then that doesn't count. Commercial / paying customer.

Interesting related piece of data on engine production:
1623699163688.png

Video here:

Ah yes, evil regulations pushing this out of July:

• Informative
Reactions: scaesare

I like how they call it the Mars rocket.

Reactions: scaesare
#unlike

Reactions: EVCollies
Sorry Xepa777, I had to close the bet/contest after the FCC submission about the first orbital attempt became public. So the official entrants are:

e-FTW: 9/15/21
Ben W: 10/31/21
Cosmacelf: 12/1/21
dkemme: 2/22/22
UltradoomY: 3/17/22
Grendal: 5/4/22
Nikxice: 5/6/22
adiggs: 6/2/22

And right now, I've got to say that e-FTW is in the pole position AGAIN.
So based on latest info, looks like first attempt won’t happen until September, so there is still hope for people not named e-FTW.

So based on latest info, looks like first attempt won’t happen until September, so there is still hope for people not named e-FTW.
It's an unusual occurrence when on this same day we hear Gwynne sounding more aspirational than Elon. Here she is speaking earlier today at the International Space Development Conference. Gwynne is interviewed between 1:37:20 and 1:46:00. Just after 1:42:00 she mentions shooting for a July 2021 Starship orbital attempt. I'm definitely leaning more towards the Elon timeline.

It's an unusual occurrence when on this same day we hear Gwynne sounding more aspirational than Elon. Here she is speaking earlier today at the International Space Development Conference. Gwynne is interviewed between 1:37:20 and 1:46:00. Just after 1:42:00 she mentions shooting for a July 2021 Starship orbital attempt. I'm definitely leaning more towards the Elon timeline.

Good catch. I never thought I'd see the day when this occurred!

To be fair, in the link I gave, Elon really said August, maybe slipping to September, and Gwynne said maybe July, so they both do kinda converge on August. Nonetheless, Elon is indeed more pessimistic! Gotta be a sign of the apocalypse.

• Funny
Reactions: e-FTW and scaesare
Uggh, I hope we don't wait that long...
I don’t know if they want to piss the locals off shouting down beaches and such. I saw that the are already over trying number of hours they are supposed to have them shut down for this year.

seems the Biden administration might not be as space x friendly either, FAA wise. (Which maybe is OK, most rules we have were written after disasters)

I still feel good about my bet.
But you may be right: an attempt does not guarantee success, far from it! That giant stack might just go boom 💥 on the pad, blow out the whole county’s windows and SpaceX will be told by an army of functionaries that they will not get to try that again on land (cue the floating launch platform). Then the most pessimistic bet here would win by default. 😁

So, sure enough, SpaceX has thrown us a curveball. Their first "Orbital" flight might not actually make an orbit? Hard to tell from the FCC submission. It is a 90 minute flight, so maybe it is actually one orbit.

Actually, reading it again, it isn't one full orbit. Just shy of one orbit.

Given we've just been given more information, I'm stopping new submissions for this bet. This would affect a lot of people's perceptions of timelines.

As far as whether this almost-a-full-orbit launch should count? Any ideas? My gut tells me it should not count since the Starship could become a ballistic uncontrolled rocket after stage separation, and should that count? Starship should really demonstrate full second stage capabilities to get to orbit and then a deorbit burn to get back. This partial orbit thing could be a simpler effort.

But would be happy to hear other people's thoughts.

Ok, Elon gave more info about what the first launch attempt will look like in the second part of Everyday Astronaut’s interview. He said the velocity and perigee will be orbital. All they would have to do to stay in orbit would be to burn out just a little bit of propellant (Elon said they could even use ullage gas, so slight) to stay in orbit.

So, again, this upcoming launch attempt will count. Ship must reach intended “orbit” and start descending toward Hawaii to count. Likelihood of it actually surviving to a soft ocean splashdown is very low in my opinion, but won’t alter the validity of the bet.

The way things are going, the FCC may be the gating critical path item :)

I think Eric is reading too much into it.

Given that the booster has not flown at all, won't it be better to fly the booster on its own (of course with a nose cone attached) without the Starship on top , get it to land on a drone ship, learn from it before putting the Startship on?

Imagine if it fails to reach the intended trajectory and height, you are better off without a fuel loaded Starship on top of that. I would rather get the Booster with 29 engines to fly successfully before putting the fuel laden payload (Starship) on top of that.