TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

New Charlotte Service Center / Showroom

Discussion in 'Southeast' started by pgiralt, Aug 27, 2014.

1. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

I think I found the permit for the Charlotte service center. Wasn't there a few days ago. Was hoping I'd find the permit for the Charlotte area supercharger, but I guess having a few HPWC's around would be helpful:

The address appears to be:

9140 E INDEPENDENCE BLVD
    Matthews, NC 28105

Looking at Google street view, it looks like it's this building (for sale sign is a good sign that this is the building)

Screen Shot 2014-08-27 at 11.06.00 PM.png

Looks like a fairly large building. Definitely seems larger than the current Raleigh service center.

2. techmaven

techmaven Active Member

That seems pretty far out of the way. in any case, any presence there would be welcome and seemingly long overdue.

3. trigga71

trigga71 Member

Not sure of the surrounding area but could be the supercharger spot as well as the service center?

4. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

I think it's unlikely the supercharger will be here. The permit says the name of the project is "TESLA CHARLOTTE SERVICE & SALES" and this would be a terrible location for a supercharger. My guess is somewhere off of I-85. If I had to guess, probably somewhere in Concord Mills.

5. babyrocket

babyrocket Member

Where did you find the permit online?

6. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

Go here:

WebPermit 6.3.0.5 - Search by Project

If you search for TESLA you will find the latest project. If you search for %TESLA you will see the old original planned location and the new one. Looks like they have not actually pulled any permits for the new location yet, but this showed up in the system just a couple of weeks ago, so I'm not sure exactly what the whole process is.

7. babyrocket

babyrocket Member

Got it - thanks!

8. CHGolferJim

CHGolferJim Member

In an established car dealership area in the southeastern growth zone........also hoping for a Concord-area SC near my Hwy 73 route to Davidson.

9. Chas F

Chas F Model S 60kWh #P6396

Still no change on the web permit site. Anyone have updates for this service center start up?

10. babyrocket

babyrocket Member

Plan Review StatMap

It looks like they received some approvals on Tuesday (10/7) so things are moving forward. Clicking through to the notes shows some further observations from yesterday.

11. jandkw

jandkw Member

Hope we'll get the supercharger in Charlotte between Burlington and Greenville as well as the needed SCs to Texas via I85 and I65.

12. mspisars

mspisars Member

Now that we have a supercharger project registered in the NE CLT, is it possible that they would put up a charger at the service/sales location as well?

And looks like there is only one permit left (mechanical) for the CLT Sales & Service location: Plan Review StatMap

moving right along.

13. mspisars

mspisars Member

Ha, looks like everything is approved and cycle 3 is complete. Plan Review StatMap

I will swing by later today to see what visible progress the location has made. If there is anything worth taking pictures of, I will snap a few.

14. mspisars

mspisars Member

Drove by this location tonight, the lights are on, but nothing has changed outside. The building still has the Queen City sign on it and the For Lease sign out front is still up.
    Still looks pretty much like the Google StreetView image.

Wonder if they chose this location partly because it is next door to the local (only I believe) Audi dealer. When it is open, every Audi customer will have to swing by Tesla to check it out.

15. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

They requested the permits yesterday. Looks like they haven't been issued yet. I suspect construction should start shortly after they are issued:

WebPermit 6.3.0.5 - Building Permit

16. mspisars

mspisars Member

Seems that the General Contractor cannot do the work... (not licensed for this level of work?)
    The notes show this:
    Noted on 10/29/2014
    GC CANNOT DO WORK OVER $ 500,000

But the permit link shows this:
    Building Contract Cost: $689,000.00

17. Setheroth

Setheroth Member

What could be the hold-up with this project? If the GC cannot do more than $500k, does that mean they will need a new contractor? Or would it be more likely the existing contractor would get permitted for >$500k?

18. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

Is there anyone in the area who can take a look to see if work is actually underway? It's hard to tell from the permit system whether they are really still waiting on someone or not.

19. Setheroth

Setheroth Member

Well the website says the permit is still pending.. I doubt there'll be any activity until then. If I'm in the area, though, I'll be sure to take a look!

20. mspisars

mspisars Member

I drive by the location at least once a week, there is nothing going on, even the lights (inside/out) are off now. But the for lease sign out front is still there.
    As mentioned above, until the permits are issued, nothing will move.