Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New "Chill / Normal" acceleration modes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd vote to have a setting called "teen-driver" mode that would control/limit the power of the car, make it similar to driving an ICE, as scary as it is to say that. I'm an owner primarily for the EV part of the Telsa vs performance (but I admit I have fallen in love with the quickness when it is just me in the car) - I'd like to move to a 100% BEV family but the Tesla has way to much power for my younger family drivers to handle, so I have to keep ICE cars around for them to drive. I'd like it on my Model S, but if the Model 3 had a "teen-driver" mode, it would really make it a solid choice for the family at it's price point.

My oldest is 5. The legal age for driving alone is 18 here (I think 17 under supervision). So, hopefully we are at AP8 without a steeringwheel around that time.
By then, the steering wheel and acceleration and brake pedals will all be available on the tesla mobile app, and the passenger can override the steeringless cars through the app. Backseat driving

My oldest is 5. The legal age for driving alone is 18 here (I think 17 under supervision). So, hopefully we are at AP8 without a steeringwheel around that time.

How interesting... In America, driving age is 16, a full 5 years before being allowed to drink, however, I think you can legally own a gun in America once you are in the 3rd trimester. So, clearly we have a well thought out social policy here: learn to shoot so you can drive, and then, with enough time and maturity, you will be allowed to drink to cope with the PTSD. Oh, Murica... I can't quit you.

• Funny
Reactions: SomeJoe7777
Chill on dmcmillen's uncorked 75D means 42% slower initial power velocity and 32% lower max power than before it was corked. 66% slower initial power velocity and 45% lower max power than uncorked. Unclear if max current (amperes) is effected until we see a "chill" quarter mile run. Especially interesting that the power velocity is not linear, like there is some sort of formula or mapping rather than a fixed torque setting. Huge thanks to dmcmillen for the data...

upload_2017-11-13_18-44-56.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-13_18-42-28.png
    upload_2017-11-13_18-42-28.png
    48.3 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
For those with chill mode -- how does it affect the acceleration characteristics under TACC? In other words, is there a lag in going up a hill due to reduced acceleration? I drive in hilly areas frequently, and there really isn't a need for the car to use high acceleration to maintain speed. Just wondering if there is a more relaxed feel under cruise control.
I got the upgrade yesterday, so I can answer my own question.

There is no noticeable affect when the TACC is set when driving on hilly roads. The car still has plenty of power in "Chill" mode to hold the speed set.

I didn't try a "resume" with the cruise setting at a high level and the car speed at a low level to see if it still accelerates at an unnecessary rate.

Chill on dmcmillen's uncorked 75D means 42% slower initial power velocity and 32% lower max power than before it was corked. 66% slower initial power velocity and 45% lower max power than uncorked. Unclear if max current (amperes) is effected until we see a "chill" quarter mile run. Especially interesting that the power velocity is not linear, like there is some sort of formula or mapping rather than a fixed torque setting. Huge thanks to dmcmillen for the data...

upload_2017-11-14_11-15-26.png

cross posted from here

View attachment 260052
This is really interesting info - do you have this data for different models and corked and uncorked that could be superimposed? Even just seeing the 75d corked vs uncorked superimposed on the same chart like this would be very useful.

Thanks for all of your hard work on this entire uncorking topic over the past few months!