Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New "Chill / Normal" acceleration modes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love the idea. I doubt I will use it much (if at all) but I've had plenty of remarks about the acceleration being somewhat uncomfortable in city driving (i.e., light to light). I have to be very careful with someone else in the car. The "gas" is very responsive. It doesn't take much at all to fly from a dead stop.

Don't forget that not everyone wants a Tesla so that they can blow away everyone off the line at every opportunity.

In addition to some increased battery efficiency, you'll also get more life out of your tires.

I'm going to give it an honest try and see if I like it (once I get the chance--waiting on the upgrade to happen).

Chill mode makes sense when you are in cruise control or autopilot.

Didn't think of it but now that you say it, I am hopeful it will help. I find autopilot/TACC aggressive with its acceleration every time whether it be from 15 to 60 or 55 to 60. Hopefully this way is less aggressive, smoother and more efficient. I appreciate the acceleration when I join freeways but prefer a smoother acceleration with TACC. I use TACC all the time, 95% of my driving.

Looking forward to trying it when I get the update.

Very useful Chill feature I guess. I know a person, who got confused and slammed on the accelerator and the car pounded into the neighbour's garage and also destroyed the owners HVAC box and the adjacent wall. .I guess this feature will make sure that car will not jump as much as before...
That person you know who did that, what car did they do it in? If it was an ICE car, then it likely already was a chill mode and evidently that didn't help.

I might have missed it but did anyone post pics yet of the toggle on a P car with Ludicrous yet?
IMG_20171107_110341043_HDR.jpg

I had issues while driving in stop and go traffic, using either auto pilot or cruise control, and noticed that if a vehicle in front changed lanes, I took off like a rocket to fill the driving gap. It was the only aspect of the cruise control feature that I didnt like. This may eliminate that sudden burst of power when in heavy traffic, and will be a welcome upgrade in my opinion, plus, you can always shut it down if you dont like it. Best of all options!!

Cars should ship on Chill mode enabled, and stay there until some amount of distance and time is accumulated on the car, as people get used to the different driving dynamics of a powerful e-car.

Call it a user break-in period.

Sure, if you find the option, you can shut it off early, but suffer a "Warning are you sure?" popup if you're within the break-in period.

It might save on some of these headlines, "Man puts his Tesla through garage wall.. blames autopilot"... for those people who are easily spooked at the amount of available power and do the freakin' go pedal stomp instead of the whoa pedal.

Any idea as to whether this increases range yet?

CHILL = ECO ( it used to be called "gutless" : maybe it still is )
My BMW with twin turbos had ECO mode. Definitely caused acceleration anxiety when trying to get away from a dangerous situation ( driver)
I expect it might be good on winter icy roads (as someone stated earlier) when everyone else if driving slowly.