Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New "Chill / Normal" acceleration modes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally got the update to 2017.44 (had to beg the SC to get it pushed to me :) ), but my wife loves the CHILL mode (as a passenger). The acceleration curve is more gentle, and the regen braking is a little less abrupt. I haven't tried it with AP/TACC yet, but I suspect it may make it more gentle also. I certainly will still leave it on Ludicrous when I'm in the car by myself, but I do understand why it's there. As a passenger you don't have any idea when the car will jump or slow down since you're not in control. As a driver, you know exactly what to expect because you are telling the car to jump like a rabbit through traffic and intersections.

I like that the word "CHILL" appears at the top of the IC, so you can adjust your driving expectations accordingly. The perfect attitude you should use when driving in this mode.

But now I think it should display "Holy @#$%!" when in Ludicrous mode, since that's what most passengers say when I unleash Dracarys!:D

Smooth and powerful. If I wasn’t already familiar with the standard power of the car, I’d be blown away with how it feels like it’s moving out in chill mode. Then change back to standard to see what’s really under there.

Wife says it is much smoother and comfortable as a passenger if I floor it under chill mode. Haven’t timed 0-60 to see the difference, but I bet I’m still a LOT quicker than most of the ICE cars out there.

Received notification of the update yesterday for my 16’ 90D .. post instal .. my first reaction was “Why”.
Seems to me a perfectly good waste of programming time and effort.

I do like entry mode as it should have been included from day one as anyone with size will agree.

The “Chill” addition just seems misguided and even borders on wasteful from an allocation of reassures standpoint.
Speed/quickness are a core selling point of the S. Let’s face it part of what draws us to these cars is the shear fun of driving it. Why devote programming time and effort that counters the brand you’ve built?

Just doesn’t make sense.

Of course that’s just my 02cents worth.

BonGo

The “Chill” addition just seems misguided and even borders on wasteful from an allocation of reassures standpoint.
Speed/quickness are a core selling point of the S. Let’s face it part of what draws us to these cars is the shear fun of driving it. Why devote programming time and effort that counters the brand you’ve built?

Just doesn’t make sense.
Use the CHILL mode when you have passengers that aren't there for the thrill ride, they will thank you. For me the difference between Standard and Ludicrous was too subtle. My passengers (wife and others) would always complain about being jostled around like a marble in a can, though I was having a great time as the driver (enjoying the performance of the car). CHILL makes for a much more pleasant and less head jarring experience for the passengers. As soon as they are out, though, it's back to "how many kilowatts can I use today?" mode.

returnzero, it is not tied to your profile. You have to use the touchscreen options to change it.
I initially thought it was a useless upgrade but have changed my mind. It is another option that we are given for our vehicles. You do not HAVE to use it but it IS available for those who want it. Great work Tesla, give our drivers more options to appeal to more of our drivers!