Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New "Chill / Normal" acceleration modes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any feedback on how the car drives in Chill mode?

Drag Times did a test in a loaner 100D (new version October 2017 build)

at 100% his 0-60 times in normal mode were 3.8 and 3.7 seconds.

Then he went to CHILL mode....

the 0-60 time was 7.2 seconds.

It is unclear if P models will have the new CHILL mode added to their selection box.

In other words will it be CHILL - SPORT - LUDICROUS/INSANE as the choices.

My P90DL still has the PERFORMANCE choice easter egg.
That easter egg was developed so that Tesla Sales folks could use a P90DL as a demo car and then
change on the fly the performance characteristics to show prospective customers how the various
Model S cars perform. Therefore with one car on the lot you could simulate the entire sales line.
I am not sure the PERFORMANCE option is available on non P cars....
I probably should not have brought this info to light....??

So the PERFORMANCE option allows me to change the performance of the P90DL to any one of the following....

70D
90D
P90D
MAX

What is interesting is that the kWh/m consumption is also reflective. In 70 mode my P90D front wheels do NOT have
power and the steering becomes "light" feeling as if they front is not grabbing.

That is an inapt analogy. It takes more energy to accelerate rapidly than gently, no matter the motor type. Chill will prevent lead-footed starts, so will conserve energy in the same way that gentle acceleration will reduce fuel consumption of that V8 or the V12.

My point was that, driven similarly, the vehicle will achieve the same efficiency. Of course, lead foots will benefit from increased efficiency in chill mode, but are these folks really likely to enable the setting? I don't think so.

My point was that, driven similarly, the vehicle will achieve the same efficiency. Of course, lead foots will benefit from increased efficiency in chill mode, but are these folks really likely to enable the setting? I don't think so.
I'm sorry. I misread your post. I understand now that you were focused on the fact that a Performance Tesla, when driven gently is as efficient as a standard one, unlike ICE engines where a bigger engine uses more fuel, even at idle, than a smaller one.

Is Chill coming to us RWD drivers? I've only seen confirmations from dual motor people so far.
And that's a great question. I'm really only interested in the new entry/exit mode, but if this firmware update is only being delivered to non RWD cars, then we miss out on a piece of the update many of us may want. Thus far I've gotten updates very early in the release schedule, but this one still hasn't arrived.

• Informative
Reactions: ishareit
Doesn’t feel like chill effects Autopilot. I don’t feel a gradual acceleration when a gap opens up in front of me. Currently driving a loaner AP1 MS P90D on .44
I have done a fair amount of testing of Chill vs Ludicrous in the loaner AP1 MS P90D on .44 today including switching between the modes on the fly.
Here are some observations:
It feels like it’s more about the sensitivity of the accelerator.
I often tell people that the accelerator on a Tesla feels more like a volume control. It responds nearly instantly for both speeding up and slowing down.
In Chill mode it is still very responsive. I can still punch it. It just takes more effort to press further down. Not sure if this is linear or a curve.
For me it’s more fatiguing. Wouldn’t be my choice for long trips unless it improves range.
If I attempt to maintain speed by keeping pressure on the pedal constant while switching from Ludicrous to Chill my speed seems to gradually decrease. Doing the opposite (switching from Chill to Ludicrous) my speed gradually increases.
I suspect that the software attempts to transition smoothly between modes when switching on the fly.
Also tested Chill vs Sport a bit. Contrast is slightly less obvious.
I’ve also read that the 0-60 times are also decreased. I did not floor it, so I can’t speak to that. It was pretty rainy in the northwest today.

Here's a screenshot of Chill Mode on a Ludicrous car
IMG_1337.jpg

Reactions: ArtInCT
It is unclear if P models will have the new CHILL mode added to their selection box.

In other words will it be CHILL - SPORT - LUDICROUS/INSANE as the choices.

Yes, P models get it. I tried it today and boy was it slow, indeed feels like valet mode. But it was super-smooth and I think on road-trips my wife and kids will appreciate a lot. I suspect range would benefit greatly too.

Screen Shot 2017-11-10 at 21.34.15.png

Reactions: ArtInCT
FWIW my AP1 70D on 2017.44 has Chill mode, but haven't yet tried it.
Hopefully it's not at all like the "ECO" aka go-slow mode in our CR-V :)

Waiting for 17.44 to see if it's on my P85D

coincidentally I had a P85D loaner with 2017.44 yesterday. I did specifically take a quick look to see that Insane mode was turned on, though I can't say for sure that Chill mode was also there(!)

For those with chill mode -- how does it affect the acceleration characteristics under TACC? In other words, is there a lag in going up a hill due to reduced acceleration? I drive in hilly areas frequently, and there really isn't a need for the car to use high acceleration to maintain speed. Just wondering if there is a more relaxed feel under cruise control.

And that's a great question. I'm really only interested in the new entry/exit mode, but if this firmware update is only being delivered to non RWD cars, then we miss out on a piece of the update many of us may want. Thus far I've gotten updates very early in the release schedule, but this one still hasn't arrived.
same here... although I have the new increased perf 0-60, 4.3 sec MS75 RWD.