Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New "Chill / Normal" acceleration modes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And no, not only dual-motor cars either...

I have Chill on my RWD P85 with AP1. This leads me to think that AP hardware is the prerequisite, which makes sense if you think about TACC, another feature where the car is able to control the acceleration rate.
The car can still control acceleration rate through standard cruise control, and changes power output on launches based on traction control inputs. My point is that the capability is there for chill mode to be implemented, but if there's something that was updated on AP1 cars that is needed for chill mode to work (like the updated traction control module), please prove me wrong

The car can still control acceleration rate through standard cruise control, and changes power output on launches based on traction control inputs. My point is that the capability is there for chill mode to be implemented, but if there's something that was updated on AP1 cars that is needed for chill mode to work (like the updated traction control module), please prove me wrong
Good point. It's not clear where the capability cutoff would be, just observing that Chill is apparently present on cars with AP hardware and not (currently) present on earlier cars without AP hardware. Maybe the mothership will eventually clarify the requirements.

Having turned on Chill on an S100D loaner recently, the only reason I can see it being linked to AP hardware is the word "CHILL" at the top of the IC display when enabled. That text is thin, and pre-AP cars have a lower resolution display that wouldn't display it properly. So, most likely, lazy coders blocked classic cars from getting that update simply because of a font selection.

Maybe this has been mentioned before but I see Chill as a good setting for slick roads. Used it today on curvy roadway with freezing rain and found it useful. I also started using it with my wife/kids in car. My 23 year old has complained of sickness in the S. Even though I have gotten pretty good at feathering the accelerator I find Chill helps in that regard

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: mongo and GoTslaGo
It really does help, I've been using Valet Mode for exactly that reason, which is why I find it so disappointing that Tesla pretends that valet mode without the locked glove box and frunk needs to be tied to AP hardware.

It's almost a week later and still on Chill mode. Figured I would try it out for a length of time. Easy this week because I have had more passengers than usual. (Christmas season)
While yes my passengers may like it I want to get back to "Kill" mode. I'm hankering for a bit 'o acceleration! :)

Reactions: Destiny1701
I have a P3D+. Normally I have to drive it with my foot at only 10% of the depth of the accelerator, the car is so powerful. With chill mode, I can drive it at 33% all the time. The car will behave like it has 200 HP in chill mode, instead of ~500. In regular mode my 16-year old son makes these noises right before I hit the gas, "no no no no No No NoNo NO NO NO-NO NOOOOO!!!!!" and during acceleration, "uh uh uuuhhhh uhhhh uhhhhh uhhhhhhh!!!!". Chill mode is useful for when you have passengers like him. It lets you avoid putting your passengers in distress by mistake - it lets you choose when you want normal-car and super-car mode, a very useful thing.

• Informative
  • Funny
Reactions: Mark Z and MP3Mike