Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Clipper Creek HCS-60 for $899

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

techmaven

Feb 27, 2013
I have no affiliation with Clipper Creek - I just remember them as the provider of the original Tesla Roadster EVSE's and they had the lowest price J1772 EVSE's when I was looking to outfit my garage. I came across a new product of theirs... the HCS-60 which is a J1772 EVSE that can charge at 48A. The introductory price is $899 which makes it cheaper than a HPWC and since it is J1772, more durable than the Tesla UMC for daily use. Obviously it would charge at 40A on a single charger Model S. If this was available, I may very well have chosen to go this route rather than Tesla's HPWC which was the least expensive option for more than 24A charging at the time aside from the UMC. Another advantage is that it has a 25' cord. I have no idea how long this product will stay at the introductory pricing.

HCS-60, 48A, 240V Charging, 25? Rubber Over-molded Cord | ClipperCreek | Clipper Creek Vehicle Charging Station

But in any case, this is a notably low price for a relatively high powered J1772 EVSE.

I have no affiliation with Clipper Creek - I just remember them as the provider of the original Tesla Roadster EVSE's and they had the lowest price J1772 EVSE's when I was looking to outfit my garage. I came across a new product of theirs... the HCS-60 which is a J1772 EVSE that can charge at 48A. The introductory price is $899 which makes it cheaper than a HPWC and since it is J1772, more durable than the Tesla UMC for daily use. Obviously it would charge at 40A on a single charger Model S. If this was available, I may very well have chosen to go this route rather than Tesla's HPWC which was the least expensive option for more than 24A charging at the time aside from the UMC. Another advantage is that it has a 25' cord. I have no idea how long this product will stay at the introductory pricing.

HCS-60, 48A, 240V Charging, 25? Rubber Over-molded Cord | ClipperCreek | Clipper Creek Vehicle Charging Station

But in any case, this is a notably low price for a relatively high powered J1772 EVSE.

Very nice price point. A 60 Amp breaker is the biggest you can go in most installs with #6 AWG wire. A nice combo.

When they come out with the cost effective HCS-100, that will be a good day.

For those looking to spec out chargers for commercial locations, like at work, that have some sort of payment capability, you should check out Clipper Creek too. They have integrated a nice, inexpensive non-networked payment system with their commercial EVSE.

Clipper Creek is the classic engineering led company. Great products, lousy marketing!

For those looking to spec out chargers for commercial locations, like at work, that have some sort of payment capability, you should check out Clipper Creek too. They have integrated a nice, inexpensive non-networked payment system with their commercial EVSE.

Clipper Creek is the classic engineering led company. Great products, lousy marketing!

I really wish they'd hire additional people with aesthetic design and marketing skills. They really seem to make great EVSEs and we'd all be better off if people bought them instead of Blink and ChargePoints.

I agree. I've seen it time and time again in the technical product space.The only way these engineering led companies end up surviving is if they finally get a clue and hire a marketing VP, or if they get acquired. IMHO, Clipper Creek needs a completely revamped web site, a distribution channel, better product packaging, a focus on selling to the consumer, a focus on selling to the commercial market, etc.

I had the HCS-60 installed today for my daughter's Leaf. The Leaf can only draw 16 amps but I thought it would be a good backup for the Tesla, especially considering all the problems I read about with Tesla's UMC. I tried it on the Tesla and I turned the amps up to 48 but it said it was drawing 50 amps, which I found strange for two reasons: (1) this is suppose to be a 48 amp "charger" and (2) how can the Tesla read it was charging at 50 amps when I set it at 48 (and I watched it climb past 48 and rest at 50 where it stayed).
20140505_195633_resized.jpg

I bought one today. Along with a HCS-40. I plan on swapping out my 50A breaker in my main panel with a 100A breaker feeding a sub-panel. The 40A and 60A breakers I will need for the chargers will fit nicely in the 100A sub-panel. Then having the 40 for the soon to have FFE and the 60 for my Model S. That way I am not 100% reliant on the UMC. And if either primary charger breaks I can use the UMC for the Model S and the remaining Clipper Creek for the FFE.

I've been wanting a dedicated EVSE for the Model S anyway.

I just have to remember not to cook, or dry clothes in the summer when both cars are charging. That AC turns on and ...

I had the HCS-60 installed today for my daughter's Leaf. The Leaf can only draw 16 amps but I thought it would be a good backup for the Tesla, especially considering all the problems I read about with Tesla's UMC. I tried it on the Tesla and I turned the amps up to 48 but it said it was drawing 50 amps, which I found strange for two reasons: (1) this is suppose to be a 48 amp "charger" and (2) how can the Tesla read it was charging at 50 amps when I set it at 48 (and I watched it climb past 48 and rest at 50 where it stayed).

Picture of the dash while charging?

Here it is - notice how it's set to 48 but drawing 50 -- from the HSC-60 whose specs say it's a 48 amp "charger" (but it is attached to a 60 amp supply):

20140506_093548_resized.jpg

Seriously Tesla? I would chalk it up to yet another of a long list of charging system bugs. Send this picture to ownership at tesla.com and ask them to check into their code. I would bet anything they've never tested their system with a 48 amp EVSE.

Just an update to this old thread. My Clipper Creek started to throw error codes recently with my Leaf. I called their service and they sent me a new one even before I sent my old one back. They also followed-up to make sure the new one worked for me.

You really can't beat their service. It's top notch! I can't imagine many, if any, other companies that would do that!

Just an update to this old thread. My Clipper Creek started to throw error codes recently with my Leaf. I called their service and they sent me a new one even before I sent my old one back. They also followed-up to make sure the new one worked for me.

You really can't beat their service. It's top notch! I can't imagine many, if any, other companies that would do that!

I had a very similar experience with a LED vendor Hyperikon
I was upgrading my house lighting with their down lights and one bulb was broken, they sent out a replacement on first communication and didn't want the old light back (which of course does not matter if it is broken, but it would have been an extra task to ship something back to them)

Was impressed! Now just upstairs left... :)