Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New CNET P85D Review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gg_got_a_tesla

Model S: VIN 65513, Model 3: VIN 1913
Jan 29, 2010
Redwood Shores, CA
2015 Tesla Model S P85D review - CNET

With two drive motors, the new Tesla Model S P85D boasts insane acceleration and all-wheel-drive, while new sensor technology enables adaptive cruise control.

Good review with the usual complaints about range and recharging times. A bit incorrect about having no fallback onboard navigation in a no-wireless-coverage zone.

Didn't see any mention of the superchargers which is kinda a shame. Plugging in at home more than makes up for the longer charges.

Maybe you didn't realize that the review is two pages. On page 2 it says this:

The Model S P85D's navigation system also shows the location of Tesla's Supercharger stations, which can charge the car's battery up to 80 percent, 170 miles, in about 30 minutes. Tesla added a new adapter for its charging cable which lets owners plug into CHAdeMO stations, an alternative fast-charging standard used by the Nissan Leaf.

Overall for a mainstream review I thought it was very solid and balanced. It didn't sugarcoat the need to charge when traveling, but overall he said it's one of the best cars available, besting its ICE competition.

Didn't see any mention of the superchargers which is kinda a shame. Plugging in at home more than makes up for the longer charges.

Yes it was mentioned if you continued to the next page:

"The Model S P85D's navigation system also shows the location of Tesla's Supercharger stations, which can charge the car's battery up to 80 percent, 170 miles, in about 30 minutes. Tesla added a new adapter for its charging cable which lets owners plug into CHAdeMO stations, an alternative fast-charging standard used by the Nissan Leaf."

Not bad for a mainstream review.

The only things I took issue with were his insistence on driving home the point that your range is influenced by your driving style; as if this wasn't the case with ICE vehicles too!

Also, they focus on charge times while ignoring the fact that charging at home largely makes them irrelevant. If you're watching a movie or eating supper, it doesn't really matter how long it take to charge as long as it's done when you need it.

Though, I have to give Wayne major props for not mentioning range anxiety. Has to be the first EV review I've seen that doesn't.

There is another error in that review. Regarding the driver's display screen, it states, quote:
"I saw unrealized potential on this panel, especially when both sides were blank. Tesla could make the left side driver-programmable, maybe offering a screen detailing power usage or current calendar appointments."
The reviewer didn't realize that the left side is just as programmable as the right side. It appears he thought the left side could only show the navigation display. Easy mistake to make. And as g_g pointed out, the reviewer also thought there was no onboard nav that would function outside of 3G cell coverage.

But overall, a fair review. We've seen much more inaccurate reviews.