Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New color change vinyl wrap concerns

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my wrap done a 2 weeks ago. Several areas of concern including all 4 door handles that look like the 2 included here.

Also multiple corners that don't look perfect

Anyone else have similar concerns with their wrap, especially the door handles?

They also covered by tow hook on the front bumper as they claim I'd be able to see the original white color if the didn't cover it. Not sure if that's correct.

Let me know you're experiences...

Attachments

• IMG_4983.JPG
    IMG_4983.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_4982.JPG
    IMG_4982.JPG
    182.1 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_4984.JPG
    IMG_4984.JPG
    245.1 KB · Views: 128
That's not great work.
If the first two pictures are door handles, you can probably trim around that with a razor blade.
For the third picture, I would be afraid to cut that because you might expose an edge that will start peeling.
Or, ask the shop to fix it.
Your pictures are blurry, by the way.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
I know, sorry about the pics. I know it's hard to look at.

The wrap place says they always schedule a routine "touch up" appointment for every car they do. But every panel has some issue and unless they make it perfect at the next appointment, I really made a bad choice on installer

See below pic. The didn't even get the wrap to cover the hood in 2 different spots (red circles). Yellow circle shows the tow hook covered.

Attachments

• IMG_4970.jpg
    IMG_4970.jpg
    325.3 KB · Views: 115
Is the installer just some guy who started doing wrapping cars?

In my limited experience, if you make a lot of simple errors the first time, you aren't going to do much better with your touch-ups. When you go back, I would say "These are some obvious flaws. Why wouldn't you fix them before giving me back the car?"

Trimming excess around the door handles should take seconds. Fixing the gaps in the frunk is...possible with a skilled tech, or they might just try the whole panel again.

My car is sprayed, so it's not the same, but when I inspected their work the ONLY flaw I could find is this dot to the right of the quarter.
tesla wrap flaw.jpg

After three years, almost 40,000 miles, and no garage, there are a lot more flaws now, unfortunately

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
They are going to look at my concerns on August 3. I honestly don't know how they're going to fix some of the issues without completely re-doing some panels. But we'll see...
yea, that is what I was thinking. They may have to take it off in some places and do it again. I would be also concerned by looking at your photos. I sort of looks like either a rush job or done by someone less experienced.

Oh and one other thought. I heard from one person that had damage to one of his doors and after it was repaired, he could no longer get the same matched wrap color that was put on his car just two years earlier. He ended up pulling everything off so it would not look weird. Maybe his situation is unusual as I don't know how long some of the wraps remain available from various manufacturers. I would hope they are available for years.

You might want to ask how generally available the colors stay around before being outdated. Let's hope a long time.

Is the installer just some guy who started doing wrapping cars?

In my limited experience, if you make a lot of simple errors the first time, you aren't going to do much better with your touch-ups. When you go back, I would say "These are some obvious flaws. Why wouldn't you fix them before giving me back the car?"

Trimming excess around the door handles should take seconds. Fixing the gaps in the frunk is...possible with a skilled tech, or they might just try the whole panel again.

My car is sprayed, so it's not the same, but when I inspected their work the ONLY flaw I could find is this dot to the right of the quarter. View attachment 689164

After three years, almost 40,000 miles, and no garage, there are a lot more flaws now, unfortunately
I know, it looks like some random dude in his garage did it, but no it's a major shop here in Phoenix, who told me they do 4 Teslas a week. And they've been around a long time.

They had it from Monday through Friday.

Just really not happy at this point. My other car (bmw) was wrapped in a different state 5 years ago and still looks perfect. Not one corner or seam looks bad.

How do you deal with a dead 12v battery if the tow hook is sealed shut?
Exactly.

The said all their customers chose to have it covered because they can't guarantee original color won't show?? (their words)

But they never asked me and just covered over it. I've already expressed my concerns about that.

There shouldn't be any reason they couldn't cover the original white in that circular location, right?

You can easily cut thru the vinyl to open the tow hook cover in a dead battery situation but you definitely shouldn't have to. Their excuse is a made up on the spot to appease you so don't accept that as an answer. Nobody willingly chooses to cover that up.

You can easily cut thru the vinyl to open the tow hook cover in a dead battery situation but you definitely shouldn't have to. Their excuse is a made up on the spot to appease you so don't accept that as an answer. Nobody willingly chooses to cover that up.
Right that’s my question: there’s no reason that it can’t be wrapped appropriately to cover the original color? I even watched a YouTube video about wrapping some thing that’s circular and it seems like people who know what they’re doing it’s pretty easy.

Right that’s my question: there’s no reason that it can’t be wrapped appropriately to cover the original color? I even watched a YouTube video about wrapping some thing that’s circular and it seems like people who know what they’re doing it’s pretty easy.
As it is wrapped now, they won't have enough material to cover the original paint after they cut out the circle cover. They will have to redo the bumper or otherwise you'll see seams where they have to add new vinyl. That's why they're coming up with the crap excuse and reasoning. They hope you don't know better and take their word for it.

As it is wrapped now, they won't have enough material to cover the original paint after they cut out the circle cover. They will have to redo the bumper or otherwise you'll see seams where they have to add new vinyl. That's why they're coming up with the crap excuse and reasoning. They hope you don't know better and take their word for it.
But shouldn’t they have a little piece left over from the other trimming to do the circle?

But shouldn’t they have a little piece left over from the other trimming to do the circle?
What I meant was, after they cut out the circle cover, there likely won't be enough material on your bumper to stretch over and cover the exposed white paint. If they peel back some of the vinyl on the bumper around the circle to pull and stretch, you might see a stretch line but that depends on the film.

Reactions: brkaus
What I meant was, after they cut out the circle cover, there likely won't be enough material on your bumper to stretch over and cover the exposed white paint. If they peel back some of the vinyl on the bumper around the circle to pull and stretch, you might see a stretch line but that depends on the film.
Well I’m going to have them redo the bumper then. I may call around to other wrap shops to see if they automatically cover over the tow hook circle like this place did.

I think it's going to look silly to have a white circle right in front. It's going to stand out like someone smiling with food in their teeth.
If you have to tow the car, which is very unlikely. cut out the circle then.

no bueno bro
Looks like they used a dull xacto knife

also you're screwed if your 12v battery every dies because you cant jump the car to get in using the toe eye cover

They really need to cut around it so you can pop it off if you need. The fact that they don't when doing these wraps is a red flag for me.

I think it's going to look silly to have a white circle right in front. It's going to stand out like someone smiling with food in their teeth.
If you have to tow the car, which is very unlikely. cut out the circle then.
Its actually just using a knife to cut around the circle. The actual cover stays orange so it won't show the original paint. That's how they did it with mine.