Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Colorado Superchargers (location speculation, discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So Elon Musk recently put out a tweet mentioning the supercharger map, and in his tweet he mentioned that it would show future Supercharger locations, so I took a look, and have found the following new locations on the map:

Wheat Ridge - Opening in 2019
Denver, CO (Cherry Creek) - Opening in 2019
Denver, CO (Tech Center) - Opening in 2018
Idaho Springs, CO - Opening in 2019
Conifer, CO - Opening in 2019
Aspen, CO - Opening Summer 2018
Boulder, CO - Opening Summer 2018
Estes Park, CO - Opening Summer 2018
Montrose, CO - Opening in 2018
Telluride, CO - Opening in 2018
Alamosa, CO - Opening in 2018
Walsenburg, CO - Opening in 2018

I know some of these we have already discussed here, but it looks like they've added even more to the list. Glad to see this!

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I believe they are currently looking at Applewood Village for the Wheat Ridge location. Surprised to see it won't be until next year but happy to see most of the rest are in 2018. The Conifer location will probably be close to the King Soopers.

BTW, you left out Steamboat Springs.

For the most part, the 2018 locations were already on the map, while the 2019 locations are new. Also some of the 2018 locations offer a more specific timeline, so those ones are likely to be completed the soonest. We already know Estes Park is open and Boulder is likely opening this weekend. There has been little mention of Aspen on this forum but it is also labeled as "opening summer 2018." I suspect it is already under construction and no one has spotted it. Possibly in a hotel parking garage or something. TMC members should start sleuthing around Aspen immediately!

The Conifer location will probably be close to the King Soopers..
Oops. I meant to say the Conifer location would probably be by the Safeway. The King Soopers is in Aspen Park.

Also, it looks like there will be yet another Denver location. We knew about the Denver DTC location already and we can see the Denver Cherry Creek location has been added. I had assumed the Wheat Ridge location was the other 'Denver' location that has been listed for the past year but checking the map more closely, Denver still has a location listed. That could mean 4 new Superchargers within 20 miles of each other in the Denver metro area. Any bets on if it will be downtown or perhaps farther north, closer to the I-25/I-76/I-270 area?

Last edited:
Oops. I meant to say the Conifer location would probably be by the Safeway. The King Soopers is in Aspen Park.

Also, it looks like there will be yet another Denver location. We knew about the Denver DTC location already and we can see the Denver Cherry Creek location has been added. I had assumed the Wheat Ridge location was the other 'Denver' location that has been listed for the past year but checking the map more closely, Denver still has a location listed. That could mean 4 new Superchargers within 20 miles of each other in the Denver metro area. Any bets on if it will be downtown or perhaps farther north, closer to the I-25/I-76/I-270 area?

I would expect downtown. Will probably turn up in one of the parking garages one day.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if the northern metro area eventually gets one.

I would expect downtown. Will probably turn up in one of the parking garages one day.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if the northern metro area eventually gets one.

Up north I would expect it to show up at one of three places, the Orchards at I-25/144th where they already have several EVGo L2 and L3 chargers, the Premium Outlets under construction at I-25/136th, or at Larkridge at I-25/Hwy 7 since it would also enable easy routing via 470/NWP.

I wound up driving though Aspen today. Didn't see any signs of superchargers. But considering how compact that town is, you probably need to run them over to find them. I did however see at least 6 Tesla driving up from Glenwood, so I suppose this location should get some use.

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I've been looking forward to Walsenburg to make the drive to Great Sand Dunes easier. The only logical SC location would be the northern interchange with I-25. As of 2 weeks ago, no signs of any construction.
Poncha Springs makes Sand Dunes fairly easy now, although not quite as quick a drive from the metro area as Walsenburg and US 160 would be. The distance from Denver and parts north is about the same. The distance from Colorado Springs is ~25 miles longer going by way of Poncha Springs.

More pleasant drive than I-25 IME.

Poncha Springs makes Sand Dunes fairly easy now, although not quite as quick a drive from the metro area as Walsenburg and US 160 would be. The distance from Denver and parts north is about the same. The distance from Colorado Springs is ~25 miles longer going by way of Poncha Springs.

More pleasant drive than I-25 IME.
Good suggestion! I'll look at this route from Colorado Springs. Thanks.

So Elon Musk recently put out a tweet mentioning the supercharger map, and in his tweet he mentioned that it would show future Supercharger locations, so I took a look, and have found the following new locations on the map:

Wheat Ridge - Opening in 2019
Denver, CO (Cherry Creek) - Opening in 2019
Denver, CO (Tech Center) - Opening in 2018
Idaho Springs, CO - Opening in 2019
Conifer, CO - Opening in 2019
Aspen, CO - Opening Summer 2018
Boulder, CO - Opening Summer 2018
Estes Park, CO - Opening Summer 2018
Montrose, CO - Opening in 2018
Telluride, CO - Opening in 2018
Alamosa, CO - Opening in 2018
Walsenburg, CO - Opening in 2018

I know some of these we have already discussed here, but it looks like they've added even more to the list. Glad to see this!

I don't see Vail on the list ... how about an urban supercharger? :cool:

Good suggestion! I'll look at this route from Colorado Springs. Thanks.
An advantage of Walsenburg would be that you could do a loop -- Poncha Springs outbound and speed home via 160 and I-25.

Once Alamosa is built you could also take the back roads through the Wet Valley and Westcliffe on the east side of the Sangre de Cristo mountains.

The one recently put in by the Park Meadows mall in Centennial has 10 stalls, and is usually full just after work. Hey, who doesn't like a free charge. It's fast and doesn't drop so much current like some of the older locations.

I hope Vail gets superchargers someday. On a recent trip, the EV parking spots in the village parking garage are taken by gas guzzlers. The Tesla chargers at hotels are not for public use.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
The one recently put in by the Park Meadows mall in Centennial has 10 stalls, and is usually full just after work. Hey, who doesn't like a free charge. It's fast and doesn't drop so much current like some of the older locations.
It used to have problems when they first opened it but they added some additional hardware a couple weeks later which fixed that issue. I forget what the new devices are called but you can clearly see them when visiting this Supercharger location as they are not in the fenced-off area.