TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

New Combustion Engines

Discussion in 'Cars and Transportation' started by danny, Oct 28, 2007.

1. danny

danny Administrator

#1 danny, Oct 28, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    I thought I would start a thread where we can list some of the new more efficient engines. List anything you know, proven or just rumours.
    Here are two I know of.
    Myt(massive yet tiny) engine: http://www.angellabsllc.com/
    Revetec Engine: http://www.revetec.com/

What do you think of these engines? How real do you think they are?
    I am particularly interested in their possible application in a normal cars especially sports cars.

The following is a video from planet tv. They talk about both of these engines.
    You have to watch a few minutes into it I believe in order to get to the part where he talks about engines.

What other revolutionary engine designs do you know of?
    There is plenty of more info that you can find with a search engine and there are more youtube videos on these engines talking about them.

2. mt2

mt2 Member

I had high hopes for the Starrotor. But I got my last newsletter from them in January and the web site hasn't been updated in almost a year.

What sets them apart from Angel Labs and the Quasiturbine are a few things. First, they are (or were) a real business. The Starrotor is based on a gerotor compressor / expander. They've got a couple of customers for the compressor / expander, and that should help fund development of the engine. Second, they are mostly Texas A&M staff and students, and the company has some sort of tie with the university. Texas A&M is very big on technology development, unlike most (but not all) other schools who have drawers full of patents they don't know what to do with. And finally, they are openly pursuing US Military contracts.

But, alas, for whatever reason, I can't even get an e-mail response from them. I'm hoping they are just running in stealth mode right now.

3. mt2

mt2 Member

Lest us not forget Dean Kamen's Stirling. Although technically it is an ECE rather than an ICE, it is an alternative to the conventional ICE.

DEKA has already brought many ideas to market (mostly medical), and they are shopping this one around now. Since Kamen has already put one in a TH!NK City car, I think it's just a matter of time till we see them mass produced.

4. danny

danny Administrator

I changed the name of the thread, basically I'm looking to do some research on new engines or motors that use gasoline. They don't all have to be ICE.

5. mt2

mt2 Member

The MYT is a pipe dream, IMHO. They had a forum there that got shut down after a lot of people questioned (a) the ability of the parts to withstand the predicted torque, and (b) the predicted torque. Sure, they say the problem with the forums was technical, but you can throw up a vBulletin or phpBB discussion board in a day and they shut it down almost a year ago. The entire site has not changed one bit since then.

The idea is very clever and should work. But the inventor, Raphial Morgado, is an eccentric who is too secretive and won't accept outside help. He clearly thinks everyone wants to steal his ideas.

I mentioned Qausiturbine before. Very interesting, but they can't seem to make it into a combustion engine. They seem to be spreading their limited resources all over the place - Is it a steam engine? Air powered? Combustion? Sterling? They're developing air powered professional chain saws, but that's not practical for a car.

Then there's this clever little thing, the Engineair, by Angelo Di Pietro. But he insists on running it on compressed air. Probably some very good technical reasons for that, but i wonder if he's considered running it on some closed loop of compressed and heated gas.

6. danny

danny Administrator

thanks for all the info mt2:cool: