Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

new comfort suspension switch over dates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yours is "soft," compared to what? My MYP is livable, but it's comical how our heads flop around in a bumpy parking lot.

As long as there are no electronics involved like active dampers, I'm 99% sure this can be retrofit to older models as long as the owner is willing to pay for likely new springs and dampers. Probably just a drop-in replacement. The parts catalog will tell in the coming months once the new stuff is added.

Yours is "soft," compared to what? My MYP is livable, but it's comical how our heads flop around in a bumpy parking lot.

As long as there are no electronics involved like active dampers, I'm 99% sure this can be retrofit to older models as long as the owner is willing to pay for likely new springs and dampers. Probably just a drop-in replacement. The parts catalog will tell in the coming months once the new stuff is added.
to the golf R i owned with DCC to the RS3 ive owned to the Z4 35is i had the MYP suspension is super soft compared to other sports suvs out there,

to the golf R i owned with DCC to the RS3 ive owned to the Z4 35is i had the MYP suspension is super soft compared to other sports suvs out there,
Which of those was a sports SUV? And the Z4 ride is so much better over small bumps...as is every BMW I have ever been in. Maybe you're mistaking it for feel..but even then, BMWs have both better feel for the road and handle bumps better..which sounds counterintuitive but that's what makes cars like that so special.
Either way, if you feel the MYP suspension is super soft..that's fine...But for most owners, critics, etc it is a common complaint...fine over good roads...not good on lesser roads..

Which of those was a sports SUV? And the Z4 ride is so much better over small bumps...as is every BMW I have ever been in. Maybe you're mistaking it for feel..but even then, BMWs have both better feel for the road and handle bumps better..which sounds counterintuitive but that's what makes cars like that so special.
Either way, if you feel the MYP suspension is super soft..that's fine...But for most owners, critics, etc it is a common complaint...fine over good roads...not good on lesser roads..
I’ve been in plenty of sports suvs over the years. Most people complaining are ones who have never own a sorts related car rather a soft plush car. My Golf R handled and felt far superior than any BMW I’ve ever driven. The only cars I’ve driven that felt better than my R was my 718 GTS I had for a year. BMW over the years has plummeted in true driver focused cars to more plush car for everyone

For Austin, the article indicates August 29, 2022, as the changeover date for them....

I just read that and am asking him about that. Supposedly I have it. I do notice this is the best riding Y I've owned (I've had two others) and after an ID.4 2023 test drive I didn't hate the Y suspension on the drive back.

EDIT: The Hurricane hit a day after I took delivery and I caught COVID then a sinus infection immediately after so I haven't been driving the Y much. 200-is miles. I need to take it over some brick roads :)

Reactions: Thunder7ga
I’ve been in plenty of sports suvs over the years. Most people complaining are ones who have never own a sorts related car rather a soft plush car. My Golf R handled and felt far superior than any BMW I’ve ever driven. The only cars I’ve driven that felt better than my R was my 718 GTS I had for a year. BMW over the years has plummeted in true driver focused cars to more plush car for everyone
But none of the cars you mentioned were sports SUVs...and I too have ridden in plenty of them or owned them and none of them are as poor (especially in the back) as the Model Y when it comes to bumpy roads...
You're wrong about the types of people who are complaining, as in, it isn't just people that want a plushy ride...it has a poorly designed suspension...now, it could just be the car is so damn heavy this was the tradeoff they needed to make..but it doesn't seem like it. Plenty of very heavy cars out there that aren't this teeth rattling...and the fact that they're now changing it only proves there was something not quite right.
Is there anything wrong with having it have a sporty suspension but without the overly bumpy ride? You can do both..we've seen it...It isn't even people want it plushy (although some I'm sure do), it is just unusual how bad it is on iffy roads...

The upgraded suspension is probably why I'm not endlessly complaining the ride on my Austin Y compared to my previous Ys. It's okay now.

I drove my Y a few days ago to visit my VW dealer who had a 2023 ID.4 Pro S AWD on the lot and he let me hammer it out and try the new lane change assist. The suspension was slightly better than the Y but in past test drives I'd return to my Y or Mach-E and immediately notice a huge difference. Instead, I thought the suspensions are pretty close with the Y still feeling the microbumps a tad more.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
Everyone has a different perspective on what is a firm, smooth or soft ride. All "P's" should have a firmer rider (technically they do with 21" wheels or the Y and 20" on the 3p) - and more control due to its sports nature.

Standard Long range IMO most people want a medium to plush ride. Sometimes just lowing the pressure a few pounds makes a world of difference too.

My guess is they changed the spring rate and dampers of the shock to give a more compliant (softer) ride.

Would be great to have magnetic ride, where the user could select, comfort, normal or sport mode for the suspension.

I picked up my 2022 MYP a month ago before the suspension upgrade and to be honest the suspension feels like a 1980’s NYC rental cab with 200k miles on it. I love the car but the suspension is a joke. I have owned 2 Porsche Macan S’s, 3 BMW convertibles and a couple of vintage Jags. I wince every time I see a pebble in the road. I will be first in line if they offer an upgrade. Again I LOVE everything about this car except the suspension.

I picked up my 2022 MYP a month ago before the suspension upgrade and to be honest the suspension feels like a 1980’s NYC rental cab with 200k miles on it. I love the car but the suspension is a joke. I have owned 2 Porsche Macan S’s, 3 BMW convertibles and a couple of vintage Jags. I wince every time I see a pebble in the road. I will be first in line if they offer an upgrade. Again I LOVE everything about this car except the suspension.
May be more stiff on roads in some areas and states. I had a Mini Coupe JCW with the sport suspension - super stiff with no flex or roll - super go-cart handling, was amazing on smooth road, but had to brace for pot holes. The more I drove it, the more I got use to it. When I went to a sport luxury SUV - it felt too soft.

Changing the tires and reducing the pressure a few pounds helped a lot - at the expense of some performance.

You have a few options to make the suspension more compliant.
  1. Decrease tire pressure by 2-3 PSI. You'll sacrifice a little performance and tires may wear a bit faster, but you'll get a slightly smoother ride.
  2. If you have 20's or 21's (model 3 or Y) switching to the 19 or 20’s respectively may help. ...
  3. You could potentially look into swapping w/ a different suspension kit. Unplugged performance has a option:

Attachments

• D7240DFD-903C-4C3A-A761-CE48744EA546.jpeg
    D7240DFD-903C-4C3A-A761-CE48744EA546.jpeg
    317.1 KB · Views: 3,509
Last edited:
Reactions: CDrury
We just need to replace all the defective roads. I would be interested on the MYP to see how much compromise in handling. I would imagine it's just different dampers. I would consider it depending on the cost. I like the aftermarket options but wouldn't do something like that until out of warranty. If it comes from Tesla directly thstay be a different story. I'm willing to give up some handling for ride comfort. I just don't want to give up the performance 😎

Reactions: CDrury
May be more stiff on roads in some areas and states. I had a Mini Coupe JCW with the sport suspension - super stiff with no flex or roll - super go-cart handling, was amazing on smooth road, but had to brace for pot holes. The more I drove it, the more I got use to it. When I went to a sport luxury SUV - it felt too soft.

Changing the tires and reducing the pressure a few pounds helped a lot - at the expense of some performance.

You have a few options to make the suspension more compliant.
  1. Decrease tire pressure by 2-3 PSI. You'll sacrifice a little performance and tires may wear a bit faster, but you'll get a slightly smoother ride.
  2. If you have 20's or 21's (model 3 or Y) switching to the 19 or 20’s respectively may help. ...
  3. You could potentially look into swapping w/ a different suspension kit. Unplugged performance has a option:
Thx for the advice. Appreciated.

Reactions: Evpowerdan
The upgraded suspension is probably why I'm not endlessly complaining the ride on my Austin Y compared to my previous Ys. It's okay now.

I drove my Y a few days ago to visit my VW dealer who had a 2023 ID.4 Pro S AWD on the lot and he let me hammer it out and try the new lane change assist. The suspension was slightly better than the Y but in past test drives I'd return to my Y or Mach-E and immediately notice a huge difference. Instead, I thought the suspensions are pretty close with the Y still feeling the microbumps a tad more.

EDIT: I don't know of the Austin Y feels that much different than my previous Y after driving it and pay attention to the suspension. I definitely need to visit a SC to test drive a newer MYP or MYLR from Fremont.

Thx for the advice. Appreciated.
No problem. Lots of things you can try before spending more money on a solution. Love the look of 21” wheels, but the super low profile tires combined with high psi is great for smooth roads. Probably the reason you I see a lot of Model 3/Y Performance owners switch to tires with more side wall, hence a size down in wheel size.

Tire pressure may help your current rough ride. Just going up 3 psi on my other SUV (Acura RDX Aspec) I can feel almost everything, where 3psi lower feels smooth on sport suspension and 20” wheels.