Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

new comfort suspension switch over dates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So psyched to be taking delivery of a Model Y LR next week with the new comfort suspension. The suspension on the Model Y was the one thing I depised on the Y, way way too harsh. Now I do not have to spend $3.5K on the Unplugged Performance Luxury package.

For those who swap wheel/tire combos to a smaller set on the Y - it is a fix that isn't targeting the source of the problem. Yes, this will improve ride quality slightly, but the problem lies in the spring/damper combo. It is possible to have thin tires on huge wheels and still have good ride quality.

I test drove a Porsche Taycan with 21s, and the ride quality was better than any car I've ever driven. It *floated* over bumps, I honestly thought it had air suspension but it wasn't even equipped with that option.

Save the Uberturbines!! :p

It looks like the shocks/dampers are around $150 each in the Tesla parts catalog. Would be nice if that price sticks when the new ones hit eventually, unless they're vastly different.

Reactions: CDrury
I agree. my wife is reluctant to sit in the Model Y due to ride comfort. She prefers her 2004 Toyota Highlander over the model Y.

We don't mind the ride quality of our 2021 MY LR, but I must admit we'd like it to be a bit more "soft" and better over bumps. If it's possible to retrofit older Y's with this new suspension for a reasonable cost I might just do it.

Reactions: e645824 and CDrury
We don't mind the ride quality of our 2021 MY LR, but I must admit we'd like it to be a bit more "soft" and better over bumps. If it's possible to retrofit older Y's with this new suspension for a reasonable cost I might just do it.
Agree. The factory can do the change on the production line for minimal change in costs.

However the parts and labor for a retrofit will be expensive. You have to dismantle each end of the vehicle to get the springs/struct towers out, have a spring compressor for the new units (if they are not one piece) and then get an alignment.

• Informative
Reactions: Rice&Curry
October 20 2022 build date. Just received my 2023 MYLR with 20" inductions.

Ride quality was great! similar to my previous BMW SUV, and this is on the streets of Toronto with roads exposed to 4 seasons of mayhem.

Reactions: bhzmark
Agree. The factory can do the change on the production line for minimal change in costs.

However the parts and labor for a retrofit will be expensive. You have to dismantle each end of the vehicle to get the springs/struct towers out, have a spring compressor for the new units (if they are not one piece) and then get an alignment.
Musk has said retrofit is not possible. Not sure why he said that, maybe he meant Tesla won’t be offering to do it.

Given the amount of speed the car can do, I'm surprised it's this smooth. Any smoother, I swear I'll fall asleep. I'm accustomed to a smooth ride but sacrificing speed. We're coming out of a 2016 RX350 which is known for it's boring ride quality since it's so smooth. With new tires and all the creature comfort option, that car is like a 7.7 0-60 car with 17mpg combined based on how we drive/where we drive, etc.

The MY LR that we just picked up is a different beast and I'm confused. It's faster, drives smoother and quieter compared to a V6 + way better than 17mpg, lol.

The MY LR that we just picked up is a different beast and I'm confused. It's faster, drives smoother and quieter compared to a V6 + way better than 17mpg, lol.
Do you mind providing the 1st 3 of your last 6 in the VIN? Also, 19 or 20 inch wheels? My VIN is ...1NF564*** with 19 inch wheels and I'm wondering if it has the comfort suspension. It hasn't been delivered yet.

Do you mind providing the 1st 3 of your last 6 in the VIN? Also, 19 or 20 inch wheels? My VIN is ...1NF564*** with 19 inch wheels and I'm wondering if it has the comfort suspension. It hasn't been delivered yet.
PF591, 20" wheels. High chance that you will get it if you have not received delivery although with Tesla, it's always a dice roll. We ended up keeping what we got versus trying again even with a couple of chips/dings because who knows what the next one would be.

Regarding ours, does have the comfort suspension (seemingly), Matrix lights, trunk cover and updated cam.

PF591, 20" wheels. High chance that you will get it if you have not received delivery although with Tesla, it's always a dice roll. We ended up keeping what we got versus trying again even with a couple of chips/dings because who knows what the next one would be.

Regarding ours, does have the comfort suspension (seemingly), Matrix lights, trunk cover and updated cam.
Cool, sounds encouraging. Thanks!

Let’s see… already paid $74K, 2022 MYP was delivered in October to Reno, NV with summer performance tires…, so there is another $2,600 to switch to Pilot Sport A/S, with no tire credit for the summer tires. They dropped a wheel in the swap, replaced it, and then took my charging cable from the trunk… so it wasn’t a good start. But the MYP final straw is the truly unacceptable ride quality at any tire pressure. Let me guess… for another $5,000 I can upgrade the suspension, either OEM or aftermarket. Final insult… my wife says it rides like a donkey cart.