Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

new comfort suspension switch over dates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let’s see… already paid $74K, 2022 MYP was delivered in October to Reno, NV with summer performance tires…, so there is another $2,600 to switch to Pilot Sport A/S, with no tire credit for the summer tires. They dropped a wheel in the swap, replaced it, and then took my charging cable from the trunk… so it wasn’t a good start. But the MYP final straw is the truly unacceptable ride quality at any tire pressure. Let me guess… for another $5,000 I can upgrade the suspension, either OEM or aftermarket. Final insult… my wife says it rides like a donkey cart.
LOL .. my wife also to refuses to ride in the MY .. the ride is too harsh for her.. she prefers her Toyota Highlander

Reactions: CDrury
Let’s see… already paid $74K, 2022 MYP was delivered in October to Reno, NV with summer performance tires…, so there is another $2,600 to switch to Pilot Sport A/S, with no tire credit for the summer tires. They dropped a wheel in the swap, replaced it, and then took my charging cable from the trunk… so it wasn’t a good start. But the MYP final straw is the truly unacceptable ride quality at any tire pressure. Let me guess… for another $5,000 I can upgrade the suspension, either OEM or aftermarket. Final insult… my wife says it rides like a donkey cart.
yeah sounds like you and your wife would do great in a nice plush camry, glad mine loves driving my car and knows what a sports suv feels like

Reactions: buddhafree
I was in reno October 21st-23rd this year and I have the 21 P zeros and the ride was more of stage coach than a donkey cart. I've never ridden in either but I had to compare it to something. At least downtown reno out to the Atlantis the ride was very compliant. It was much better than in SF and surrounding cities. I would compare my MYP to my old F25 X3 with 19 M sport wheels with runflats. Once I ditched the runflats the ride became more compliant. I've got a set of 18 inch tsportlines on order. Hopefully, the ride will improve and with the reduced unsprung weight maybe the range will improve and the acceleration increase a hair.

Took delivery of my MYLR5 on November 5. First three of last six VIN digits are 585 (Fremont). Wondering if I have the new suspension or not. Ride feels somewhat bumpy on rough roads compared to my MBZ SUV, but this is our first Tesla so I have nothing to compare it to. So if i picked the car up November 5 (VIN was assigned October 31), is it safe to assume the care was made after the announced 10/17 date for the switch-over?

I was in reno October 21st-23rd this year and I have the 21 P zeros and the ride was more of stage coach than a donkey cart. I've never ridden in either but I had to compare it to something. At least downtown reno out to the Atlantis the ride was very compliant. It was much better than in SF and surrounding cities. I would compare my MYP to my old F25 X3 with 19 M sport wheels with runflats. Once I ditched the runflats the ride became more compliant. I've got a set of 18 inch tsportlines on order. Hopefully, the ride will improve and with the reduced unsprung weight maybe the range will improve and the acceleration increase a hair.
suspensions don't change. people's perceptions do.

Took delivery of my MYLR5 on November 5. First three of last six VIN digits are 585 (Fremont). Wondering if I have the new suspension or not. Ride feels somewhat bumpy on rough roads compared to my MBZ SUV, but this is our first Tesla so I have nothing to compare it to. So if i picked the car up November 5 (VIN was assigned October 31), is it safe to assume the care was made after the announced 10/17 date for the switch-over?
The switchover date for MYLR was Oct 7. Oct 17 was when Elon made the tweet about it.

The switchover date for MYLR was Oct 7. Oct 17 was when Elon made the tweet about it.
the date was not a hard target.
Tesla VIN sequencing is not linear.
cars may be held from production for QC issues then released later, for example. that would result in an earlier built car being delivered after "that date".
your odds of having the newer suspension bits are good but it's not going to be a high drama difference.

the best way to find out, aside from peeking at the suspension part numbers on the shocks, is to call your SA and ask.

Reactions: voxel
Heard from my SA today after asking him if my car (PF585, late October build, VIN assigned 10/31) had the upgraded suspension. He said "I don't think you have that" and that only cars from Austin were getting the new suspension early. So, that doesn't square with other writings on this board. So who knows. Anyway, we're really happy with our Y, whether we have the new suspension, or not.

Thanks for the info. I’m taking delivery of a new Model Y LR in the next few weeks, I don’t yet have the VIN - do you know how to figure out roughly when the car was built? Trying to figure out if it will have the new Comfort Suspension (I’d be willing to delay delivery to get that new suspension if needed). Thanks!

Just for reference, my 2022 MYLR (7SAYGDEE0NF354XXX) with Gemini Wheels was built on January 9, 2022 in Fremont. Rear part number is 1188463-00-D. Front part number is 11?836B-00-F.

Attachments

• 20221118_122026 Front.jpg
    20221118_122026 Front.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,146
  • 20221118_122003 Rear.jpg
    20221118_122003 Rear.jpg
    274.8 KB · Views: 193
I ordered new dampers from Tesla to do a retrofit. The rear springs may also be different but I figured I will try keeping mine so I didn’t order the rear springs.
That's pretty affordable, how did you verify that those part numbers are the new suspension?

How did you order the parts? Requested it through the app?

Also how long did they say for it to arrive?

Do you know if the fronts come with the top hats and spring already?

I ordered new dampers from Tesla to do a retrofit. The rear springs may also be different but I figured I will try keeping mine so I didn’t order the rear springs.
I would suggest getting the springs as well. the whole package isn't that expensive anyway.
reason - they're a system. springs and dampers act together; major differences can result if not matched well.

Reactions: enemji and jsight
I would suggest getting the springs as well. the whole package isn't that expensive anyway.
reason - they're a system. springs and dampers act together; major differences can result if not matched well.
@tangible1 In principle I 100% agree, but it's quite possible the (rear) spring rates haven't changed at all. Personally I never felt Tesla's chosen spring rates for the Y (or 3) were anything extreme, they not the cause of comfort issues, though yes it's certainly possible Tesla went softer for the new suspension.

Rear springs are the quickest, easiest part to swap though (among the pieces involved here). If at some point it's shown the rear spring rates changed, it should be quick and easy to swap them later, no big deal.

(Well, I'm basing that on the Model 3, I believe everything fits together pretty much the same on a Y though.)

@tangible1 In principle I 100% agree, but it's quite possible the (rear) spring rates haven't changed at all. Personally I never felt Tesla's chosen spring rates for the Y (or 3) were anything extreme, they not the cause of comfort issues, though yes it's certainly possible Tesla went softer for the new suspension.

Rear springs are the quickest, easiest part to swap though (among the pieces involved here). If at some point it's shown the rear spring rates changed, it should be quick and easy to swap them later, no big deal.

(Well, I'm basing that on the Model 3, I believe everything fits together pretty much the same on a Y though.)
fronts are coilovers, rears are separate spring / shock mounts, so yes, rears are straightforward.
it's just me, but I would get the springs to have to experiment with so it could be done without delay to better any comparisons.
not to mention they could be put on a spring gauge and proof tested.
worst case is to sell them off at a minor discount.

I could be wrong, but based on this other post, what you ordered might not be the most updated parts that Tesla considers “comfort suspension”. Just wanted to give you a heads up in case. Again, I’m no expert so take it with a grain of salt.