Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

new comfort suspension switch over dates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
bushing upgrades from the stock rubber / polyurethane will mostly just increase NVH transmitted to the interior.
street driving isn't track driving.
you're not looking for continuous precision under the heavy loads generated by driving at limits; you're looking for smoother / quieter street behavior.
ummmm You could upgrade to more luxurious bushings too.

The P and the LR are different cars. I have owned both. The LR was harsh over bumps but was very smooth riding otherwise. The P transmits every road imperfections into the cabin and through the wheel...even with 19s on it. It's more harsh than it should be IMO. In fact I had a clunk the developed in the front after a few thousand miles, they replaced strut and it went away for another few thousand, now its back. They said its characteristic on the YP and I rented another YP 544xxx VIN and it makes exactly the same noise over small to med bumps.

It's interesting because I always thought the suspension were the same except for a slightly lower ride height.

PSA:. To anyone who wants max ride comfort in the Y but also wants max performance....your best going with a LR and then getting the acceleration boost.

Reactions: fiehlsport
For anyone interested, my late August '22 MYP has the following part numbers, I haven't seen the MYP stuff included here (But maybe I missed it...)

Rear Damper: 1188465-00-E (F on ‘23)

Rear Spring: 1188475-00-D - no change for ‘23, use the same ones

Front Left Strut/Spring Assembly: 1188371-00-E (F on ‘23)

Front Right Strut/Spring Assembly: 1188376-00-E (F on ‘23)

Reactions: nencmeister
The P and the LR are different cars. I have owned both. The LR was harsh over bumps but was very smooth riding otherwise. The P transmits every road imperfections into the cabin and through the wheel...even with 19s on it. It's more harsh than it should be IMO. In fact I had a clunk the developed in the front after a few thousand miles, they replaced strut and it went away for another few thousand, now its back. They said its characteristic on the YP and I rented another YP 544xxx VIN and it makes exactly the same noise over small to med bumps.

It's interesting because I always thought the suspension were the same except for a slightly lower ride height.

PSA:. To anyone who wants max ride comfort in the Y but also wants max performance....your best going with a LR and then getting the acceleration boost.
The MYP you rented was a 2022 correct? Sad to hear this but I believe it. I'm really considering updating mine to the new "F" revision parts soon. It's inexpensive (in the grand scheme) and easy to swap. If my friend's 2023 doesn't clunk or knock when I test drive it soon, I think I'm definitely going to do it.

I’m also wondering if a fix for the clunking was implemented in the Rev. F struts, even if they don’t necessarily make it that much more comfortable.

Last edited:
The MYP you rented was a 2022 correct? Sad to hear this but I believe it. I'm really considering updating mine to the new "F" revision parts soon. It's inexpensive (in the grand scheme) and easy to swap. If my friend's 2023 doesn't clunk or knock when I test drive it soon, I think I'm definitely going to do it.

I’m also wondering if a fix for the clunking was implemented in the Rev. F struts, even if they don’t necessarily make it that much more comfortable.
Yes its a 2022 Built 09/2022 VIN is 544xxx has 7,600 miles. My May 22 build MYP VIN 446xxx has the same part numbers as above. It didn't start making noise until after about 3800 miles. Strut was replaced, almost same mileage started making the noise again. Tesla said it was characteristic of the MYP, but they spent about 25 days on it and I took it in 6 times! That's why I rented this MYP to see if it was the same and it is 😒

Last edited:
Just returned from a back-to-back drive. Definite improvement noticed in my friend's 2023 MYP, over my 2022 MYP. We have bad, heaved roads in Upstate NY and I could tell the difference right away. 2023 has more of a damped, BMW feeling. Still bad, but not *as* bad. :)

If you don't notice a difference between '22 and '23 suspension, come to New York. There is a section of road I test on that has continuous bumps for about 20 seconds, and it would knock my head/body around a bit. The '23 controlled it much better and the car wasn't shaking back and forth as much. But it wasn't "comfortable" by any means like it is in our Hyundai.

Now that I know I'm going to change my suspension, I just have to consider these or the Tein EnduraPro Plus shock kit. They're both the same price... But Tein goes even softer.

Just returned from a back-to-back drive. Definite improvement noticed in my friend's 2023 MYP, over my 2022 MYP. We have bad, heaved roads in Upstate NY and I could tell the difference right away. 2023 has more of a damped, BMW feeling. Still bad, but not *as* bad. :)

If you don't notice a difference between '22 and '23 suspension, come to New York. There is a section of road I test on that has continuous bumps for about 20 seconds, and it would knock my head/body around a bit. The '23 controlled it much better and the car wasn't shaking back and forth as much. But it wasn't "comfortable" by any means like it is in our Hyundai.

Now that I know I'm going to change my suspension, I just have to consider these or the Tein EnduraPro Plus shock kit. They're both the same price... But Tein goes even softer.
Are the comfort dampers still noisy though? My LR was smooth as silk driving down the road. I should have known the P would transmit more NVH into the cabin. The crazy thing about it is that for the first few thousand miles the car rides different. Once the suspension settles in the ride is more harsh.

• Informative
Reactions: bobbyjae
Are the comfort dampers still noisy though? My LR was smooth as silk driving down the road. I should have known the P would transmit more NVH into the cabin. The crazy thing about it is that for the first few thousand miles the car rides different. Once the suspension settles in the ride is more harsh.
His car only had 580 miles on it, so no, no noise yet. I listened for that. And yeah, his car may get worse once a few thousand miles are on it. It drove really nicely compared to mine with 6500 miles.

Tein are adjustable.