Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New competition for Tesla, The Jaguar I-Pace

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You know I really like and care about Tesla and will always own one. But I have always been disappointed in their execution of their interiors. For example, I think the direct competition to the Model S is the Porsche Panamera. That car has a "first-class" interior and costs about the same money. Yet the interior is miles above that of the Model S. Same goes for Audi A6, which costs less than a Model S and again, the interior is top notch. There is no damned reason why Tesla cannot put a small design team (say 3/4 design people) dedicated to the S & X interior improvements. They need to bring the interior to market equivalent... at this time there is no longer any excuse. New EV's are coming to market and their fit & finish is coming out very well. Take the new I-Pace (see photo of interior); the fit & finish looks really good. I don't think the exterior design is anywhere as good as the Tesla X or S. But the interior (as shown) appears to rival that of the model S & X. The general public will more likely gravitate to this interior than Tesla because it gives them a certain level of "familiarity." That does go a long way.

iPhoto Library.jpg

It is time for Tesla to redo the model S interior and turn it up a small notch in the X interior. All the other companies, like the German manufactures acquire Teslas and then proceed to benchmark them; tear them down to see what makes them tick. Why can Tesla not do this also. Get a Panamera, have the designers and engineers look at the interior; tear it down and gather intel on how they fit their interior pieces together. Then build a kick-ass interior of their own, so not only does the competition get weak in the knees, I want them to fall down.

Elon said at the Semi/Roadster reveal he was delivering a "smack-down" to the gasoline vehicles... well finish the round with a knock-out and deliver a kick-ass interior fit and finish. I still think Tesla is the best EV out there, but they too have areas they now need to improve. Just my Humble opinion.

P.S. if Tesla redesigns a kick-ass S interior... I trade in my current S for the new one in less than a micro second.

So, if the Jaguar is so "futuristic" why does it still have a Start/Stop button?

Really, I think Tesla needs to update the interior and it may be in the works (or even an entirely new Model S given the changes with battery pack design with the new cells) but it'll be time before it comes out with everything they're trying to get into right now. They did hire an interior designer from Volvo a year or 2 ago, so if they can duplicate the comfort of the Volvo's seats I'll be standing in line to get it.

Reactions: WarpedOne
I'm in total agreement about the minimalist and outdated Tesla interiors. I like the Jag's interior. The problem I have with the Jaguar is that they are infamous for having the worst electrical systems on the planet (hyperbole, of course, but not by much). I'm sure Lucas is not in charge of the EV system on the Jaguar but the risk is too great for me...

• Disagree
Reactions: Troy and bambam4171
You know I really like and care about Tesla and will always own one. But I have always been disappointed in their execution of their interiors. For example, I think the direct competition to the Model S is the Porsche Panamera. That car has a "first-class" interior and costs about the same money. Yet the interior is miles above that of the Model S. Same goes for Audi A6, which costs less than a Model S and again, the interior is top notch. There is no damned reason why Tesla cannot put a small design team (say 3/4 design people) dedicated to the S & X interior improvements. They need to bring the interior to market equivalent... at this time there is no longer any excuse. New EV's are coming to market and their fit & finish is coming out very well. Take the new I-Pace (see photo of interior); the fit & finish looks really good. I don't think the exterior design is anywhere as good as the Tesla X or S. But the interior (as shown) appears to rival that of the model S & X. The general public will more likely gravitate to this interior than Tesla because it gives them a certain level of "familiarity." That does go a long way.

View attachment 283767

It is time for Tesla to redo the model S interior and turn it up a small notch in the X interior. All the other companies, like the German manufactures acquire Teslas and then proceed to benchmark them; tear them down to see what makes them tick. Why can Tesla not do this also. Get a Panamera, have the designers and engineers look at the interior; tear it down and gather intel on how they fit their interior pieces together. Then build a kick-ass interior of their own, so not only does the competition get weak in the knees, I want them to fall down.

Elon said at the Semi/Roadster reveal he was delivering a "smack-down" to the gasoline vehicles... well finish the round with a knock-out and deliver a kick-ass interior fit and finish. I still think Tesla is the best EV out there, but they too have areas they now need to improve. Just my Humble opinion.

P.S. if Tesla redesigns a kick-ass S interior... I trade in my current S for the new one in less than a micro second.

I agree with you completely. The interior is reflective of Tesla in 2010 when they were barely afloat and lacked resources. Time for Tesla to update the interior with a design that will blow away the competing models by Audi, Porsche, Jaguar, Mercedes and others.

Does anyone know when the Jaguar EV will be available for purchase in the US?

I watch the competition coming out and I know Tesla is better. I know Jaguar put in a start/stop button and those are archaic, but they are looking to grab people who will feel more at home in "familiar" setting while integrating new tech to them without them really noticing. They are employing some social psychology into their execution. I agree the button is outdated. but watch the videos below and see how they integrate everything Tesla does yet still have the start/stop. Remember the Nissan Leaf has a button like that too... they just do not label it with the words start/stop. Electrek website, has a great article on the new I-Pace. Price ranges from $87,500 USD to $103,000 USD.

The following links have to do with the new I-Pace; you can see how Tesla has set the bar for them and they are trying hard to at least reach it and try and exceed it (they are all like 2/3 minutes long, very quick).

• Informative
  • Disagree
Reactions: Tiger and David99
The real I-PACE advantage for me is if they really do take advantage of the inherent quietness of the ev and build a vehicle that is very quiet at highway speeds. The Model S is nice and quiet at slow speed but a lot of the exterior noise is apparent at higher speeds. If Jaguar can dampen that noise, and have a nicer interior, then they might have a real competitor for the S, assuming as a given that they end up with at least a near match in the performance metrics.

As an aside, I really think that an ev would be an ideal vehicle for active noise reduction technology because most tire noise seems to me to be in the mid-range where that technology is most effective.

View attachment 283767

I mostly agree although it looks like someone vomited buttons and knobs all over Porsche interiors. I prefer the simplicity of the Tesla user interface look.

Last edited:
It looks like the iPace is a very nicely designed and thought out car. Honestly I'm excited for it. Attention to detail especially in the interior is important and Tesla has been doing poorly on that. I cannot see myself owning anything but a Tesla at the moment because of the Supercharging network. It's been absolutely essential to me in the last 4 years driving my Model S. Other car manufacturers have to come up with something comparable.

I mostly agree although it looks like someone vomited buttons and knobs all over Porsche interiors. I prefer the simplicity of the Tesla user interface look.

I agree with you fully; the Panamera had (emphasis on had) way too many buttons. Porsche has learned and they have changed the vehicle interior to be much more structured. My hope is Tesla can change as well. (see the picture attached for the new interior of the Porsche Panamera). Buttons have been cut back drastically. Also, I include a picture of the model 3... absolutely gorgeous; but that interior minimalist controls sucks. The I-Pace even gets HUD, even though it has a binnacle screen in-front of the steering wheel. Tesla has no excuse. The centre screen is fine, but it needs a proper binnacle screen behind the steering wheel; they can integrate one - in my humble opinion.

2018-Porsche-Panamera-Sport-Turismo-front-interior.jpg p1250429.jpg

My wife wants the model Y. She does not want a large SUV like the X. She said the moment Tesla releases the Y for reservations, she will go down to the store and put in a reservation. The problem that will kill it is if the interior controls are going to be like Model 3. If it is just that center screen and that's all; she will buy something else. We want to go full electric, my Tesla Model S has made the difference for her. She was not onboard originally, but since we have had the S she has come around. She loves the model 3 but not the single screen thing.

If Porsche were really smart and motivated to compete in the electric arena for real, they would ditch this mission-E nonsense and take the Panamera full electric. It is a proven chassis, has the size to accommodate current battery tech and they could fit a 100kWh battery in there easy. then maybe Tesla would wake up and make some interior changes. Take things up a few of notches.

Reactions: David29
It looks like the iPace is a very nicely designed and thought out car. Honestly I'm excited for it. Attention to detail especially in the interior is important and Tesla has been doing poorly on that. I cannot see myself owning anything but a Tesla at the moment because of the Supercharging network. It's been absolutely essential to me in the last 4 years driving my Model S. Other car manufacturers have to come up with something comparable.

I agree totally. That supercharger network is the obvious secret sauce. Why other manufactures have not moved in that direction has many reasons; but all come down to stupidity and lack of vision. But it will click soon. If VW group was smart, they would contact Tesla, get the lawyers together get the company boards together and bang out a proposal with Tesla to have their electric vehicles buy into Tesla's charging infrastructure and move forward. Their customers would pay like all model 3 and future Tesla owners will/are. This would produce a steady stream of income for tesla. Not only on the charge side but the purchasing of the proprietary access to the chargers and VW would have to by hardware from Tesla to put into their vehicles to be compatible. I mean German auto companies sometimes buy the same parts, etc that goes into a whack of different vehicles of different manufactures. Who cares. Make a great product and people have choices. Couple that with new charge rate tech for 350Kw chargers or higher and kiss ICE vehicles goodbye. Could not come soon enough.

Reactions: Drone Flyer
Not going to bring up "looks" for long. i-Pace looks good if we take standard approach (not minimalistic).
Not all vehicles on roads should be minimalistic. Therefore, start button is fine.
It is not direct competitor for S nor X, but it is closer to X with 5 seats. Closest should be Model Y.

What I want to emphasize is that i-Pace, while being cheaper, has significantly better tech inside (with EAP exception).
The link with €-prices is here (use UK site for correct translations under descriptions):
Build your NEW ALL-ELECTRIC JAGUAR I-PACE
I'll start with standard equipment on base model (Blue is safety, brown is comfort, both)
  • Automatic Headlight Levelling System - can't confirm it is available on X
  • Infrared reflective windscreen - Only upper portion on X
  • Two zone climate control with solar and mist sensing - Can't confirm solar and mist sensors on X
  • Air Quality Sensor - can't confirm it is available on X
  • Brake pad wear indicator - small thing but doesn't appear to be on Teslas
  • Cruise Control and Speed Limiter - Cruise is standard but no Speed Limiter on X
  • Traffic Sign Recognition and Adaptive Speed Limiter - so speed limiter adapts to signs
  • Heat pump - Model X uses much more energy in colder weather
And then optional equipment:
  • Heated Windscreen with Heated Washer Jets - This allows way better range in winter.
  • Headlight power wash - This is a requirement because i-Pace offers more powerful headlights
  • Four-zone Climate Control - Tesla has 3-zone.
  • Panorama roof with powered blind - More range in cold and hot climate, with more comfort in those scenarios
  • 18-way heated and cooled electric memory front seats with heated rear seats - Likely way better seats, more adjustments
  • Adaptive Dynamics with Configurable Dynamics - Adaptive dampers are not available on any Tesla
  • Head-up Display - Yea, we all know what that is. Some want it, some don't.
  • 360° Surround Camera - Not available on any Tesla.
  • Powered gesture tailgate - No gesture control on Model X (open with foot swipe as an example)
  • Matrix LED headlights - full beams active without blinding oncoming nor vehicle being followed
  • Privacy glass or not - all windows behind driver view are factory tinted or not, basic option Model X misses.
  • cooled glovebox - sometimes it's useful to cool the drinks you want to have on a longer journey, basic feature
  • Loadspace storage rails - Model X, especially 5-seater, not easy to fix cargo in Model X.
  • Click-and-go rear seat multimedia device holders - well, what passengers in X should do? Basic add-on for cruising vehicles
  • Configurable Ambient Interior Lighting - bling, but nice addon Model X misses.

If we sum it all up, i-Pace will have better range in winter compared to Model X100D. And it will cost less.
And it might be more comfortable, compared to Model X. Long range charging excluded.
Long-range charging problem can't continue endlessly. CCS will catch up. It will take 3-5 years at least, but it will catch up.
As of right now, both vehicles can have Level2 autonomy. Hands on. Tesla will likely get to level 3 soon.

So I'd take i-Pace as a very good choice in that price range.

Not sure why Jaguar is comparing this to the Model X. Model X is a 3-row SUV while the I-Pace is a 2-row CUV/crossover.
that jag is awful looking. Easily the worst looking car they've designed in 15 years because they've been on a run of beauties (except the big one...that thing looks like a worn down bar of soap).

I really hate the whole pre-occupation the fossil car makers have with making their electric vehicles look crazy and unconventional, or little, hideous and useless. This will be their downfall if they stick with it. Audi is doing the same thing with their 'e-tron' which is similarly hideous. They look like the horrible Honda Crosstour.
images

MAKE AN ELECTRIC CAR THAT WE WOULD WANT TO OWN...you don't need to make it ugly and differentiated. Put your electric drivetrain in your Jaguar XE and people will buy them in DROVES. Tesla did this BRILLIANTLY with the model S. They made it beautiful, luxurious and futuristic, but didn't sacrifice aesthetics.

Case in point: You think anyone really wanted/needed an iPod when they came out? Nobody cared about portable music players. but the iPod was beautifully designed and made people want them. The Model S is both something (almost) everyone needs, a car, and something that almost everyone wants...something beautiful.

Look at this 'competition' that's coming. good luck to them.

audi-e-tron-quattro-concept-2015-frankfurt-auto-show_100527563_l.jpg

jaguar-i-pace-suv.jpg

To each their own. I personally think the Jaguar looks good aside from some questionable design issues such as the front grill and the start/stop button. Things I like about it: smaller but better cargo capacity than the Model 3, a roof blind, a decent interior. I'm unconvinced of a centre mounted screen a la Model 3 (I still would like a standard IP and perhaps a HUD), and I certainly would appreciate a few (but not like Porsche crazy) buttons especially for things like HVAC and the sunroof. I'm hoping that when the Model Y is introduced it'll find the right mix to make it a success.

Reactions: sitter_k and Struja
To each their own. I personally think the Jaguar looks good aside from some questionable design issues such as the front grill and the start/stop button. Things I like about it: smaller but better cargo capacity than the Model 3, a roof blind, a decent interior. I'm unconvinced of a centre mounted screen a la Model 3 (I still would like a standard IP and perhaps a HUD), and I certainly would appreciate a few (but not like Porsche crazy) buttons especially for things like HVAC and the sunroof. I'm hoping that when the Model Y is introduced it'll find the right mix to make it a success.

I agree, especially on the looks part. I look at my S and I see the most gorgeous car in the world.

Others have told me it looks plain and boring. I disagree but respect that the S isn't for everyone. That's life.

Prior to buying my S, the Jag XF was on my short list but once I drove the S, it came off the list quickly!!!

Tesla did this BRILLIANTLY with the model S. They made it beautiful, luxurious and futuristic, but didn't sacrifice aesthetics.
It is beautiful, but they did unacceptable sacrifice with second row. Headspace is not good, nor acceptable, nor marginal. It's poor. Leg comfort is marginal, leg space is acceptable, shoulder width is good.
Also, it is not luxurious*. Far from that. It misses excellent seats, excellent suspension, excellent lights (IIHS rating).
It is futuristic, definitely. It is sporty, definitely. It has awesome cargo capacity. Awesome AEP. That is not enough.

Overall score is heavily shaken by the weakest link. That is, rear headspace. I'm short, 176cm, and my head was brushing the roof liner.

To be honest, iPace doesn't look that different compared to Model 3.
I bet Model Y will be more similar to, as it likely will be CUV like iPace, khmmkhmm, SUV.

luxurious
adjective
  1. extremely comfortable or elegant, especially when involving great expense.
For example, rear seat Model S, I'm comparing it with standard seats on non-flagship E-class:
img1427435402-1469580966093.jpg
E-Class-Interior-Rear.jpg

Just by the pictures, we can see, that Merc has handrest, door pockets, sunblinds, adjustable headrests. And of course more headspace, better seat bottom height and other things like backrest pockets, adjustable middle vent, wider and higher door for comfortable entering/exiting, better door handle design and window switch position and handrest above door. And E-class is not taken as luxurious. It's executive-class.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: David29