Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New competitor in 2018. Next BMW 3 series

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Une BMW série 3 électrique avec batterie 90 kWh en 2018 ?

This also references Autobild.de

We'll have to wait for more info (official) from BMW. I hope they come out with a 90kWh car! It will be interesting to learn where they source their batteries and what kind of volume they'll be able to produce (if the car is done well I think people will line up for it!).

What false information am I writing? It says the the new BMW 3 is coming with a hybrid 330e, AND "eDrive sport" with 90kwh battery to compete with model III. I have no motivation in spreading false news about Tesla, im getting my 70D in May.

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 109874

Here is the original text in latest Autobild.

Your TITLE was wrong because you said 90 kw battery which is wrong.it was about the motor that can produce up to 90 kw peak power

Une BMW série 3 électrique avec batterie 90 kWh en 2018 ?

This also references Autobild.de

We'll have to wait for more info (official) from BMW. I hope they come out with a 90kWh car! It will be interesting to learn where they source their batteries and what kind of volume they'll be able to produce (if the car is done well I think people will line up for it!).
Well, I expect it to be a 70-100k car. Not sure that many people will line up. Maybe in Norway :biggrin: or when do initiatives run out?

Your TITLE was wrong because you said 90 kw battery which is wrong.it was about the motor that can produce up to 90 kw peak power
The attachment you quoted states: 90 Kilowattstunden Akku

The article says: Als eDrive Sport mit mehr Batterieleistung (75 bis 90 kWh), größerer Reichweite und kürzerer Ladezeit.

The 90 kwh middle CLAR module can also be used in other vehicles as everything up from 3 series will be using the CLAR.
Then 2020 new battery (imo 2021 more likely) from Bosch is set be used, if its for real, expect 50% density jump at same cost, IF its for real.

It would have to be since there is no existing chemistry dense enough to fit 90kWh in a 3 series sized vehicle.

Well, I expect it to be a 70-100k car. Not sure that many people will line up. Maybe in Norway :biggrin: or when do initiatives run out?

The article says: Als eDrive Sport mit mehr Batterieleistung (75 bis 90 kWh), größerer Reichweite und kürzerer Ladezeit.

I don't see why BMW would have trouble selling a good long range EV if quality, performance, range and price is similar to Model S. Model S has been selling like hot cakes since 2012... BMW has very good brand appeal.

This English language article says it'll be a plug-in hybrid with 90kW of power. I wouldn't put it beyond journalists to mix this up:
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/spy-shots/bmw/bmw-3-series-2018-next-three-codenamed-g20-revealed/

"edrive sport" is also the same name as BMW's existing hybrid system (shown on X5 below).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFzJfN4EZ7g

"Batterieleistung" means Battery power or battery performance, so that points to 90kW instead of 90kWh.

It would have to be since there is no existing chemistry dense enough to fit 90kWh in a 3 series sized vehicle.
Frankly, the energy density issue and packaging are so closely related that it will be certainly possible to produce a 3-series sized vehicle with 90kWh capacity during 2020, if not sooner. It could be done now with a handful of compromises.

Frankly, the energy density issue and packaging are so closely related that it will be certainly possible to produce a 3-series sized vehicle with 90kWh capacity during 2020, if not sooner. It could be done now with a handful of compromises.
Tesla and LG Chem are the only existing two that have something close. A 90kWh pack with tech at the moment will either have to be thicker or take up some trunk space in a 3-series sized vehicle.

Samsung SDI (which BMW is using) said their competing tech to the LG Chem NMC used in the Bolt will be out around 2019. With some serious compromises they could possibly fit a 90kWh pack in a BMW 3 series, but I suspect BMW will have to go with a custom platform (like with i3).

Last edited:
This English language article says it'll be a plug-in hybrid with 90kW of power. I wouldn't put it beyond journalists to mix this up:
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/spy-shots/bmw/bmw-3-series-2018-next-three-codenamed-g20-revealed/

"edrive sport" is also the same name as BMW's existing hybrid system (shown on X5 below).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFzJfN4EZ7g

"Batterieleistung" means Battery power or battery performance, so that points to 90kW instead of 90kWh.

Existing 330e has 65kW of electric motor power, so 90kW looks like a nice upgrade.