Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Construction Solar Roof?

Apr 4, 2016
Chicago, IL
I'm in a position where we'd be most likely going with a custom builder. If doing that, I would 'hope' that things could be easier. Does anyone know what the approximate lead time would be for a solar roof? ie: 'Are these things even 'in stock?'' Or is there some sort of supply shortage or crazy delays when ordering?

jimm01

Apr 29, 2021
Devonshire NJ
I'm in a position where we'd be most likely going with a custom builder. If doing that, I would 'hope' that things could be easier. Does anyone know what the approximate lead time would be for a solar roof? ie: 'Are these things even 'in stock?'' Or is there some sort of supply shortage or crazy delays when ordering?
My experience is Tesla’s PM is an enigma. Maybe it was due to Covid-19 and things have improved. I had a terrible time getting straight answers. I repeatedly tried to talk to someone who was within a few degrees of separation from those designing my solar roof. It proved impossible. When I finally got an email from a regional PM I soon realized I was going to have to play hardball. One issue was I wanted to burry the conduit in the wall. I even offered to install the conduit my self-it’s just drywall. When Tesla came to install the roof I had to tell them to specifically show me where the roof connections would be run. They were about to run conduit all over the front of my house and a riser down the back. I had to stop them. Besides the aesthetics it would eventually start to rust.

Good luck.

PS: I think it is wise to have a roofing company install the roof.

Apr 4, 2016
Chicago, IL
So something interesting here. Reaching out to Tesla, they said the project manager mentioned that "Most projects advance to install within 8 months of your initial layout creation. Timing to installation for your project specifically will be possible to estimate only once we have an order confirmed and permits submitted to your city."

I know it says, 'Within 8 months' but would you say that if permitting and submission were done in August, that they could still come in to coordinate and install before Winter hits hards in the US? Or do you think that's way too long of an 'estimate'?

Obviously, the concern would be not having a solid 'roof' on for the winter so work can continue on the interior of the home.

Thoughts?

jboy210

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Dec 2, 2016
Northern California
So something interesting here. Reaching out to Tesla, they said the project manager mentioned that "Most projects advance to install within 8 months of your initial layout creation. Timing to installation for your project specifically will be possible to estimate only once we have an order confirmed and permits submitted to your city."

I know it says, 'Within 8 months' but would you say that if permitting and submission were done in August, that they could still come in to coordinate and install before Winter hits hards in the US? Or do you think that's way too long of an 'estimate'?

Obviously, the concern would be not having a solid 'roof' on for the winter so work can continue on the interior of the home.

Thoughts?
We accepted our solar roof quote in October 2019. Construction started in March 2020 in California. No snow here, but some rain. Completed in April. Final Inspection passed in August. PTO in September. 7-day delay during installation due to Covid and multi-month delay on inspection also due to Covid shutdowns.

So, I think the timeframes they gave you are perhaps a bit pessimistic. But give demand, parts shortages, etc. not way out of wack.

Apr 4, 2016
Chicago, IL
Hmm maybe I'll just see if I can plan it by ear. If they think they can do it based on their supply etc etc, great. If not, I'll probably have to look into the traditional solar panels on the southern and maybe western facing side of things. Aesthetics of solar panels vs roof, not as great but the trade off I guess is more output and cheaper cost?

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC