Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Construction Solar Roof?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Markm287 i am not sure how far you are in the process but from the picture, it looks like you solar roofing shingles were ready to be installed. Did you find yourself being held hostage by Tesla's timing/response in terms of the construction of your house? I have a new custom build and hope to break ground in a month. I signed a contract with Tesla in February 2021 and it's been hell trying to deal with my project coordinator. Did Tesla refer you to any 3rd party roofers in your dealings with them?
We are waiting on PTO at this time. Shingles were finished being installed about 3 weeks ago. Yes, it was very difficult with Tesla. They want the entire exterior of the house completed before they will even come out to the house to plan their installation. One of the first things our builder usually does is the roof and the siding is one of the last things so they had to do things out of their usual order for our house. I also made sure that they could install a regular asphalt roof last minute if things fell through with Tesla as we didn’t want this to delay our house completion. We went directly through Tesla since there are no third party installers in my area. Good luck! Let me know if you have any more questions.

I live in a development where the developer recently opened new phases and in the process of making roads in that new area. I am on Day 4 of my Solar Glass install and with Tesla trucks in my driveway and all the activities, it attracted the actual owner of the development to talk to the installers about what they're doing. Fortunately, I was working from home that day and I told him all about the roof and sent him some YouTube links. He's sold and want to put them on all the new houses that he will be building going forward. I gave him my referral code, but I wonder if Tesla can give me credit for all the houses he plans to build in that new phase. I believe he's planning to build about 120 houses over the next few years.

Reactions: NJ Plugin
We are waiting on PTO at this time. Shingles were finished being installed about 3 weeks ago. Yes, it was very difficult with Tesla. They want the entire exterior of the house completed before they will even come out to the house to plan their installation. One of the first things our builder usually does is the roof and the siding is one of the last things so they had to do things out of their usual order for our house. I also made sure that they could install a regular asphalt roof last minute if things fell through with Tesla as we didn’t want this to delay our house completion. We went directly through Tesla since there are no third party installers in my area. Good luck! Let me know if you have any more questions.
The first thing to go on when framing is done is the roof. A roof is possibly the most critical element. If a home could be built from the top down it would be as such. The fact that Tesla doesn’t realize this is both telling and concerning.

Reactions: pdx_m3s
We’re building a new house. One of the things we learned from the builder is that the roof tiles have to be on the roof (not necessarily installed) before the drywall is finished, otherwise the weight of the tiles can cause cracks in the walls.
I am not sure that is correct. People by me have switched from asphalt or wood shingles to ceramic tiles with no subsequent wall cracking issues.

I should have been more specific. It’s not that the drywall itself can crack, it’s the coating they put on the drywall. Maybe it takes a while to set.
Sure. I suspect they are concern about settling and its impact on the skim coating, even a little flexing there causes cracking. We live in earthquake country, so are pretty familiar with that. But, still, I have never heard of the coating cracking because of roofing material changes.

Maybe things are different with Florida building. You guys use things like concrete blocks that are pretty uncommon for home construction here and I assume would require rebar reinforcement to meet building standards for earthquakes.

Sure. I suspect they are concern about settling and its impact on the skim coating, even a little flexing there causes cracking. We live in earthquake country, so are pretty familiar with that. But, still, I have never heard of the coating cracking because of roofing material changes.

Maybe things are different with Florida building. You guys use things like concrete blocks that are pretty uncommon for home construction here and I assume would require rebar reinforcement to meet building standards for earthquakes.
On cathedral ceilings I have seen cracks after the roof was installed. You have to consider the weight of the installers and possibly the point loading of the material stacked on the roof.

Last edited:
For new construction, it’s no roof tiles vs. roof tiles (concrete in our case), so more of a difference than replacing lighter tiles with heavier tiles. The person who was concerned about the delay a Solar Roof for a new house is in the same situation, which is why I brought it up to begin with.

The uncertainty of getting a Solar Roof in time for our new home is one of several reasons we had to abandon that plan.

Glad you were able to make it work, as I'm not surprised by the spoiler.... For others who might follow your path, how much, if any, direction did you get from Tesla regarding the conduit? There have been other stories of Tesla refusing to use conduit they did not install, potentially unless it exactly matched specifications they provided. It would suck to have a nice new home and immediately have to tear into it (or run external conduit as we did with an existing home) because the builder-installed conduit was not what Tesla wants.
I can corroborate. I just had a site survey done by Tesla at my house on Long Island for a solar roof and PW install. He said that they DO NOT like to use existing conduit or pipe they themselves did not install....Additionally they do not recommend having just "a regular electrician" work on their stuff as it may void any warranty.

I can corroborate. I just had a site survey done by Tesla at my house on Long Island for a solar roof and PW install. He said that they DO NOT like to use existing conduit or pipe they themselves did not install....Additionally they do not recommend having just "a regular electrician" work on their stuff as it may void any warranty.

Interesting. They had no problem using the internal conduit we had our electrician pre-install for us. Maybe things are changing. Wouldn't surprise me.

Also, with all of the new construction here, the roof goes on ASAP. We have a lot of rain here so the roof needs to go on as soon as possible in order for the framing to dry out appropriately before closing it in with siding and drywall.

Interesting. They had no problem using the internal conduit we had our electrician pre-install for us. Maybe things are changing. Wouldn't surprise me.

Also, with all of the new construction here, the roof goes on ASAP. We have a lot of rain here so the roof needs to go on as soon as possible in order for the framing to dry out appropriately before closing it in with siding and drywall.
There is nothing special about conduit. It's 1" IMC with with compression connectors. They do put a big red label on it. However. For my home I feel they should have used 1.25" for the riser. The technician had a terrible time pulling all the wire through--took over an hour. Pretty much destroyed the wire coating (I just hope there are no cuts).

There is nothing special about conduit. It's 1" IMC with with compression connectors. They do put a big red label on it. However. For my home I feel they should have used 1.25" for the riser. The technician had a terrible time pulling all the wire through--took over an hour. Pretty much destroyed the wire coating (I just hope there are no cuts).
We used 1.5" as it's a pretty long run.

You kidding me he could barely bend 1” by hand, it was comical. If he had a Chicago bender yes. I should have taken video of this job. It was Keystone Cops from start to finish. They wasted so much time and money on this job it’s no wonder Tesla doubled the price.

Our electrician used two pre-bent 45s to make the one 90 degree bend in our run.