Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New coolant pump and Rear strut

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, so not real exciting stuff here. Just mundane service for good old 2008 Very Orange Roadster number 425.

For several months we'd notice the coolant pump would sound like bearings squealing when it first started up. That is never a good sign so we had the Seattle Service Center order the pump. Then the passenger side rear suspension started this low speed squeaking. Not a big deal as this car is not exactly the quietist wonder of the world. Yet in city traffic I started to feel like Beaker from the Muppets. Sooo, I ordered a new strut. Then it got cold and I hit my head on the trunk lid like three too many times. OK, trunk struts ordered.

The first week in March the SSC called and said, everything arrived! The car went in last Monday and it was ready today, Tuesday. They did a good job, kept me informed on the progress and even did the annual check up. I'm very glad we had the coolant pump replaced, as the new pump is whisper quiet. Thank you Seattle Service Center. Oh, and they let me keep the old parts.

Reactions: dhrivnak
OK, so not real exciting stuff here. Just mundane service for good old 2008 Very Orange Roadster number 425.

For several months we'd notice the coolant pump would sound like bearings squealing when it first started up. That is never a good sign so we had the Seattle Service Center order the pump. Then the passenger side rear suspension started this low speed squeaking. Not a big deal as this car is not exactly the quietist wonder of the world. Yet in city traffic I started to feel like Beaker from the Muppets. Sooo, I ordered a new strut. Then it got cold and I hit my head on the trunk lid like three too many times. OK, trunk struts ordered.

The first week in March the SSC called and said, everything arrived! The car went in last Monday and it was ready today, Tuesday. They did a good job, kept me informed on the progress and even did the annual check up. I'm very glad we had the coolant pump replaced, as the new pump is whisper quiet. Thank you Seattle Service Center. Oh, and they let me keep the old parts.

How much did the strut cost?

Did you happen to have recorded the sound your pump was making? Would have been nice to hear the before/after for reference.

BTW, off topic... speaking of Beaker, there was a great Henson exhibit at the Skirball Center here in SoCal last year. Seeing the puppets up close was so nostalgic!

See Kermit, Bert, Ernie, and more at 'The Jim Henson Exhibition: Imagination Unlimited'

skirballmuppetspreview20180530tn-5453.jpg

Reactions: RobsJester
How much did they charge for the coolant pump replacement and installation? Mine has louder than usual over the last year or so. When I took it in for annual service they only did some procedure to push out air that might have been in the system. Did not charge me anything for that, but it also did not fix the sound.

Did you happen to have recorded the sound your pump was making? Would have been nice to hear the before/after for reference.

BTW, off topic... speaking of Beaker, there was a great Henson exhibit at the Skirball Center here in SoCal last year. Seeing the puppets up close was so nostalgic!

See Kermit, Bert, Ernie, and more at 'The Jim Henson Exhibition: Imagination Unlimited'

skirballmuppetspreview20180530tn-5453.jpg
That is a great Muppet display!
I will look for the original recording and a new one to post. I'm pretty sure I still have it.

How much did they charge for the coolant pump replacement and installation? Mine has louder than usual over the last year or so. When I took it in for annual service they only did some procedure to push out air that might have been in the system. Did not charge me anything for that, but it also did not fix the sound.

Correction: Coolant Pump: Parts Replaced or Added
PUMP-ESS COOLANT PCA12 (2004503)
Total Job Parts: 410.00
Total Labor & Miscellaneous Items: 175.00
Grand Total $585.00

They changed just one shock? That’s weird. I have a couple on the shelf, one is blown but the other is fine, but I would still have them both rebuilt if I was going to be reusing them.
Yes indeed not weird at all. It is all about the budget. How much can you spend in any one month. No doubt the other will be replaced as funds allow.