Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Corded Mobile Connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In most jurisdictions in the US, you only need a disconnect if the appliance is over 60A or over 120V above ground. A HPWC on a 50A breaker is neither.
That's what I thought too, but when they installed my AC last year, they insisted on adding a shutoff switch, even though it was a 50 amp circuit. They said it would not pass inspection if they did not add it. Since the install was fixed cost, it cost them more to add the switch that to not add it, so I assume they would not do it unless the local inspector has given them problems in the past.

Has anyone tried using the Model S/X Corded Mobile Connector
with a Model 3?
Is it not recommended?
Or does it just predate the Model 3, which is why it’s not the Model S/X/3 Corded Mobile Connector
It will work. The only benefit is 40 amps delivered to the car instead of the 32 amps delivered by the Gen2 Mobile Connector. For that capability and a fixed 14-50 plug, you pay $220 (73%) more than the Gen2 Mobile Connector that comes with the Model 3. One reason people used to buy the Corded version was that the plug was more flat so that you could use it with an outdoor enclosure with a cover. The Gen2 also addresses this.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H