Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New CPO experience (very BAD!)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I've been looking for getting CPO model S of 2015 or newer models.

I'm not sure since when, but Tesla decided not to refurbished the car anymore. The only things that they do are to have 70 points mechanical check before the sale.

On top of that, they are not showing any photos until you specifically request for it. In my experience, I saw one 2015 model S 85D with four-year warranty for under 55k. I had requested the information and got back an email with photos of the vehicle.
Men, the car was not okay at all. The exterior had so much dirt/stains on, and the interior had a filthy stain on the seats. I asked them if they could fix the filthy part, but they said that it's the reason that they sell for such a low price.

Also, now you have to go pick the car up. Since I'm living at NC, few choices are either from Florida near Miami (about 15 hours drive), Atlanta downtown (6 hrs away), New York somewhere (the website does not specify the exact location to pick up), Chicago, or Ohio.

If you pick up from other states, more likely you will need to pay double taxes once you register to the home state as well.

Overall, Tesla's CPO program has become garbage, one of the worst programs I've ever seen. I don't expect it to be as great as Apple's refurbished product (just like brand new). Although they offer either 4yr/50k or 2yr/100k warranty with a basic mechanical check-up, everything else does not meet the standard to me. Even Mercedes has way better CPO program than this.

I'm still debating if I still wanted to go for CPO model S or not. Model 3 is a good option, but my ultimate goal is to drive Model S and do the road trip.

Thanks for reading.

This has been discussed for last six months here ..depending on your price range there are some decent private sales in the For Sale of forums ..in general the CPO program is not the same as before however others have found success by find decent model in good shape ...good luck in search

Hi, I've been looking for getting CPO model S of 2015 or newer models.

I'm not sure since when, but Tesla decided not to refurbished the car anymore. The only things that they do are to have 70 points mechanical check before the sale.

On top of that, they are not showing any photos until you specifically request for it. In my experience, I saw one 2015 model S 85D with four-year warranty for under 55k. I had requested the information and got back an email with photos of the vehicle.
Men, the car was not okay at all. The exterior had so much dirt/stains on, and the interior had a filthy stain on the seats. I asked them if they could fix the filthy part, but they said that it's the reason that they sell for such a low price.

Also, now you have to go pick the car up. Since I'm living at NC, few choices are either from Florida near Miami (about 15 hours drive), Atlanta downtown (6 hrs away), New York somewhere (the website does not specify the exact location to pick up), Chicago, or Ohio.

If you pick up from other states, more likely you will need to pay double taxes once you register to the home state as well.

Overall, Tesla's CPO program has become garbage, one of the worst programs I've ever seen. I don't expect it to be as great as Apple's refurbished product (just like brand new). Although they offer either 4yr/50k or 2yr/100k warranty with a basic mechanical check-up, everything else does not meet the standard to me. Even Mercedes has way better CPO program than this.

I'm still debating if I still wanted to go for CPO model S or not. Model 3 is a good option, but my ultimate goal is to drive Model S and do the road trip.

Thanks for reading.

I'm so sorry for your experience.

For all the good they do to take care of customers, they have some how come up with the absolutely worst way to treat customers buying a used car. Even the shadiest Crag's List buyer would generally list photos of the car and be more transparent with what they are selling. How they treat customers is so appalling that we have for now decided not to even bother considering purchasing a CPO car.

As much as I love Tesla, there is no excuse to treat customers so poorly.

I concur with @P85_DA, If you care about being treated in a fair way, don't buy a CPO Tesla but look for a private party car and just buy one with the ESA warranty.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
Asking this because I actually don't know, why would you just not register the car to your home state to avoid being double taxed?
You wouldn’t. You’re right. That comment makes no sense.

I bought a used FIAT from a California dealer and I’m in PA. I only paid the PA (home state / where the car was going to be registered) taxes on it. No taxes paid to California.

Asking this because I actually don't know, why would you just not register the car to your home state to avoid being double taxed?

You wouldn’t. You’re right. That comment makes no sense.

I bought a used FIAT from a California dealer and I’m in PA. I only paid the PA (home state / where the car was going to be registered) taxes on it. No taxes paid to California.

Because some states, like California, are completely awful when it comes to taxes, personal property, etc...

Picking up in CA, from out of state, you will be taxed twice.

Unfortunately for some state like NC, I have to pay taxes twice. I double checked with CPO agent and state DMV.

Because some states, like California, are completely awful when it comes to taxes, personal property, etc...

Picking up in CA, from out of state, you will be taxed twice.

This is what I was told by my advisor when I bought my CPO a year ago - it was located in CA and he told me I would pay tax there and then again in Missouri when I registered the car. So Tesla had it delivered to Phoenix (closest point within the 'free' transport region at the time), and I flew out and made a great road trip out of it bringing it home, for way less than the $2000 delivery charge.

I was very lucky to get in on the tail end of the old CPO program, and it was a fantastic experience, (once I finally got an advisor on the phone), felt like buying brand new. From what is shared here on these forums now, it seems like they are nothing like that any more, which is a real shame.

This is what I was told by my advisor when I bought my CPO a year ago - it was located in CA and he told me I would pay tax there and then again in Missouri when I registered the car. So Tesla had it delivered to Phoenix (closest point within the 'free' transport region at the time), and I flew out and made a great road trip out of it bringing it home, for way less than the $2000 delivery charge.

I was very lucky to get in on the tail end of the old CPO program, and it was a fantastic experience, (once I finally got an advisor on the phone), felt like buying brand new. From what is shared here on these forums now, it seems like they are nothing like that any more, which is a real shame.

Congrats on your car! You are so fortunate that you bought your car when you did.

With how awfully they are now treating CPU customers, I don't think they can make the experience of buying a used car any worse. But who knows, they are now selling cars with banged up fenders so I guess it is possible things could get even worse.

It is california state law to tax all new vehicle purchases. That being said, most states credit you for tax paid to CA when you register your car, so it's not that big of a deal...unless your state tax rate is less than the fremont rate (9.25%).

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA