Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New CPO Policy Experiences (non-refurbished)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got back from celebrating my wedding so I haven't had a chance to update(I reserved the car 3 days prior to my wedding lol).

So far I've been contacted by a Tesla "Used Vehicle Sales Adviser" as the email signature states. This call came within a few hours of reserving a Model S P85D. We went over the new policy and he confirmed everything that is said in recent CPO posts. There is no longer a reconditioning process as it was costing too much and not sustainable. They will mechanically inspect, mechanically repair, and detail the car. Any normal wear and tear and small cosmetic issues will be left as-is. I asked if there was a threshold of cosmetic damage that would be allowed to pass through, or would they let any beat up, badly dented car go through the reselling process. He assured me that any major cosmetic issues or damage will be repaired, or the car will not sold through the site or likely auctioned off.

The SA has been responsive to my emails and gets back to me within a day with status updates. He's provided me pics, Carfax report, purchase agreement, and talked me through the expected timeline. The estimated time from reservation date to delivery date should be 7 to 10 days. I'm on day 7 as of now. I was emailed that the car is on it's way up from LA to Fremont and should be here today. They need an additional 48 hours to detail the car and I can go inspect it for pickup. If all goes well the car should be ready for pick up by this Saturday (the 10th or 11th day from reservation).

I plan to inspect it carefully before signing and driving off. So far I'm satisfied with the process.

To be continued...

Attachments

• IMG_20180504_115759.jpg
    IMG_20180504_115759.jpg
    457.3 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_20180504_115803.jpg
    IMG_20180504_115803.jpg
    427.8 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_20180504_115809.jpg
    IMG_20180504_115809.jpg
    417.8 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_20180504_115824.jpg
    IMG_20180504_115824.jpg
    417.7 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_20180504_115830.jpg
    IMG_20180504_115830.jpg
    432.1 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_20180504_115845.jpg
    IMG_20180504_115845.jpg
    412.5 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_20180504_115851.jpg
    IMG_20180504_115851.jpg
    468.7 KB · Views: 170
Looks like my timeline will be 6 days. I ordered late friday night, someone contacted me Monday, talked through the financing and tradein, and they said they need atleast 48 hours to detail and clean the car, so they said come by this upcoming thursday (tomorrow). I will try to write my experience as well.

Looks nice man, black on black is where its at! The only other inside item i'd check is the driver side exit arm rest.. sometimes the stitching is fraying there. It's hard to tell from the photos sent, but looks ok, however make sure that wherever your elbow would go, there is no excessive fraying stitches.

Reactions: TheEstimator
@romeoecho I'm hopeful there isn't much wear and tear as the car has just over 13k miles.

@Plan B You're right! I just reread all of my emails and they mention nothing of "detailing". It just says "washing and preparing the vehicle". I have no idea where I got "detailing" from. Maybe wishful thinking I guess. Crossing my fingers the standards are held higher at the Fremont factory.

@romeoecho I'm hopeful there isn't much wear and tear as the car has just over 13k miles.

@Plan B You're right! I just reread all of my emails and they mention nothing of "detailing". It just says "washing and preparing the vehicle". I have no idea where I got "detailing" from. Maybe wishful thinking I guess. Crossing my fingers the standards are held higher at the Fremont factory.

Maybe this just depends on the service center? When I took delivery a week ago, I'd say my car was near-detailed. It was definitely washed, vacuumed inside, flawless from smudges and waxed (have some trace dried wax in the panel gap areas), and of course it rained like a SOB on the way home, so I could see giant beading water which told me it was a recent wax (even the windshield wiper was stuttering due to a waxed windshield). I wouldn't for sure call it 100% detailed, but certainly "cleaned up real good". Considering its from Fremont, I think your car (and you) will be well accommodated for delivery day. Since you're able to get to Fremont, consider an eventual factory tour in the not to distant future? I did it a few years ago and holy cow is it an awesome experience.

Maybe this just depends on the service center? When I took delivery a week ago, I'd say my car was near-detailed. It was definitely washed, vacuumed inside, flawless from smudges and waxed (have some trace dried wax in the panel gap areas), and of course it rained like a SOB on the way home, so I could see giant beading water which told me it was a recent wax (even the windshield wiper was stuttering due to a waxed windshield). I wouldn't for sure call it 100% detailed, but certainly "cleaned up real good". Considering its from Fremont, I think your car (and you) will be well accommodated for delivery day. Since you're able to get to Fremont, consider an eventual factory tour in the not to distant future? I did it a few years ago and holy cow is it an awesome experience.

My experience reflects yours. The car definitely had a clay bar ran across it since the surface of the car is real smooth.

I'm not sure how you can speak on behalf of the company (maybe you work for Tesla, and that's cool), but my car was clay barred. Whether or not the previous owner did it before turn in, I have no idea. I'm just conveying information about how my car was when I took delivery this past Saturday.

Like I said before Tesla does not wax or clay bar cars, they may have vendored that out but Tesla did not do it.

But congrats, glad you are happy.

Reactions: emulsifide
On a side note as I wait for a response from the Fremont Delivery Adviser, it would be nice if Tesla provided some live updated vehicle status/tracking information on their website. It would reduce the amount of times buyers reach out to the advisers, and give something for the buyers to pacify themselves on. Something similar to Amazon or Fedex/UPS tracking.

I have also been looking at the CPO cars, and have been shocked at what I CAN SEE in the poor photos that you are sent. My question is: Don't they charge the previous leasee for the damages incurred on the vehicles? I have a girlfriend who always pays for the extra insurance on her high-end lease vehicles (BMW and MBZ), precisely so she isn't hit up with surprise costs when she turns in her car. If this "ignore damages" is Tesla policy, then I certainly know she will be leasing an X in the future.

Reactions: 1 person
Update: Picked up my car and was very happy with the overall experience. The car is near perfect but was definitely not detailed.

My sales advisor booked me for a pickup on the 11th day from when the initial online reservation was put in. Not bad as far as timing considering I've read that it used to take several weeks.

The car did have a tiny, penny sized ding that I did not see in the photos. However it's barely noticeable unless you were closely inspecting the car. The passenger side wheels had minor curb rash, but this was disclosed from the beginning. I can live with that because I'm not the best at parking anyway so I'll likely add to it.

Interior and exterior were flawless. We signed the papers and took off for a long drive. I hope the rest of you have the same experience as mine!