Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Cybertruck Patent shows off the UI and potentially some serious unknowns about it

Nurkbonis

Feb 17, 2018
Portland

The UI imagery shows:

620 miles of range
20k LBS towing
A stove attachment

The patent itself also talks about a drone option that would fly around surrounding terrain, so it could be rendered on the screen...

[0127] As described above, the representation 504 may include information determined using cameras or sensors positioned about the vehicle. For example, pedestrians, other cars, cones, animals, lights, stop signs, and so on, may be determined by a system included in the vehicle. These may be rendered in the user interface 500. Similarly, the representation 504 may include rocks, dips, inclines, and so on, of an off-road area surrounding the vehicle. In some embodiments, a drone may be stored in the vehicle. The drone may fly from the vehicle and perform a mapping operation of surrounding terrain. For example, photogrammetry techniques may be used. This information may be provided to the vehicle, and used to render the representation 504. In some embodiments, the vehicle may render the representation 504 using, at least in part, simultaneous localization and mapping (SLAM) techniques.

Entirely possible that the range and towing capacity are not accurate, but why would they include numbers that are considerably higher than the realities of the truck? Hopefully we learn more about Cybertruck soon.

rhumbliner

Sep 24, 2015
Las Vegas
I would not tow 20,000 LBS with that truck.
I assume you‘re implying that 5,000 lb truck couldn’t safely tow a trailer that is 4 times heavier. If so, then how do you explain a 15,000 lb semi tractor towing a 60,000 lb trailer? It all comes down to having the proper equipment and the knowledge to do it safely which, i agree, a good percentage of drivers would not have.

rhumbliner

Sep 24, 2015
Las Vegas
So you could safely tow this with a 1/2 ton with the right equipment. I would not tow this with anything less than a 1 ton.
Well now we’re talking about fifth wheels, not trailers, which is a different animal and the old 1/2-ton, 3/4-ton, 1-ton classification no longer accurately describes a truck‘s capabilities. But if the CT‘s payload was rated for the 3000+ lb hitch weight and it’s tow capacity could handle the ~20,000 lb GVWR of the Riverstone I wouldn’t bother asking how heavy the CT was. I would look into the electric brakes of the Rverstone to determine if they could truly handle the mountain passes I typically drive. Call me a skeptic but I don’t really trust trailer manufacturers to install the highest quality brakes. I would also look into the center of gravity of the Riverstone (it looks pretty top heavy) to get an idea of just how much I have to slow down before entering a curve.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC