Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Dallas Morning News Tesla article - Terry Box

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

The last quote left a bad taste in my mouth at the end of what was otherwise a pretty fair piece. [Also, it was entertaining, in the video, to watch Terry Box struggling with the UMC and adapters when he was trying to plug in at the Supercharger.]

Here's the last bit:

~~~~~~~~~~

That’s pretty impressive for an electric car. But Tesla will need to do more, Nerad believes.“What they have accomplished in the Model S is really considerable,” he said. “But it’s a car whose development was subsidized by tax dollars that still doesn’t have the range of a subcompact. We’re not in the future yet.”

The last quote left a bad taste in my mouth at the end of what was otherwise a pretty fair piece. [Also, it was entertaining, in the video, to watch Terry Box struggling with the UMC and adapters when he was trying to plug in at the Supercharger.]

Terry missed out on three things: The fiddling with the charging cables at the Supercharger showed how little he knew about the car (Keystone cops?), he failed to mention that there is no cost for using the Supercharging Stations, and that Supercharger network is being built to cover the US and Europe.
Superchargers are actually so easy to use, he missed the entire genius of how to use them.

Evidently he did NOT spend much time learning about how to effectively drive and operate the Model S prior to taking the car out for his drive.
Not Broder, but not stellar either.

He used more energy by running in 70s and 80s (running at fast speeds by his admission) and THAT is what impacted his anticipated range.
Duh...
If he was driving a standard ICE at those same speeds, and he only had 265 miles of gas in the tank, he would have also have impacted their total projected mileage range.
Also, when sitting in traffic, his energy use should have been pretty low, unless it was hot and the A/C was running on high.

The one thing he got right: I-35 is still a mess.
I can't wait for the construction to simmer down and finally get operational.