Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New DashCam V9 with Gray X in Corner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an 8 gb usb drive formatted properly for the new dashcam feature. When I first plug it in off of a fresh format and new folder it works perfectly..........then after some time - I haven't figure out the exact time frame, instead of the red dot in the corner of the little camera it shows a gray "x"...............the only way I have solved it is to start from scratch. Reformat, add folder then plug back in.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

• Informative
Reactions: Terthen
Had the same problem. Somehow the write process in the car gets interrupted and screws up the file system. Popped it into my laptop and did a disk error check and repair. It found and fixed a problem. It had a file I couldn't delete. After the repair I could delete the file and the flash drive worked in the car again. Reformatting works as well, but repairing the file system saves the files.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
I also saw this problem once. When the dashcam stopped working, I took out the USB drive and put it into my Windows PC. It couldn't read the last video file and saying it was corrupted. That USB drive is a cheap one with slow write speed. Windows 10 even rejects it for ReadyBoost. I switched to a faster USB drive and haven't seen the problem yet.

Exactly what I am dealing with works fine for awhile after I format then i get the gray x.only way i solved is to reformat.anyone not getting this issue please share what USB drive u r using so i could buy.thanks

FWIW: I was getting the gray X until I swapped the [old] flash drive for a 3.0 drive, and haven't had a problem since (about a week now). The old drive would corrupt after a day or so of use. That feels more like a circumvention than a cure - something's buggy, I think, in the V9 dashcam code.

My 128GB USB 3.0 flash drive recently stopped working and showing the "grey X" right after 2019.5.15 was installed on my Model 3. After I brought the drive inside and plugged it into my computer I found that it recorded several minutes of video right after the software update while the car was parked/"off" before it stopped working.

I tried all of the following steps to get it working again, all with no luck:
  • Ran an error check in Windows. None were found.
  • Deleted and recreated the TeslaCam folder. That didn't help.
  • Reformatted the drive (used my Chromebook in order to maintain the FAT32 formatting) and recreated the TeslaCam folder again. That didn't help either.
I tried another USB (2.0) stick that I had laying around and it worked, so it's not the car. So I'm out of ideas. The USB 2.0 stick is only 8GB, which I worry won't be big enough now that it's recording the side cameras too.

Mine has operated satisfactorily for a number of weeks now. It failed previously (after a few days) on the same drive following reformats, and it failed on new drives. I could find no correlation between external circumstances or the number of recordings on the drive and corruption incidents. My *feeling* is that the car's firmware was buggy and it may have been fixed. Time will tell.