Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New DC charger in Switzerland with Tesla plug !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is amazing ! I wish it would be the beginning of getting rid of Chademo and CCS :)

With Tesla now charging for their SC's , I think this makes sense.

File_001.png

Remember that the Tesla plug is purely a North American and Japan thing.
The plug shown in the picture could be a Tesla Type-2 plug like this one on the European Wall Connector:

wall-connector-eu-2016.png

However, even that doesn't make sense because the cord on it is only rated for 22kW while the Espresso & Charge unit supports 43kW AC on the third connector. The middle connector is missing from the pictured unit, but it is usually CHAdeMO. There is no evidence that the pictured unit can deliver DC on the Tesla styled cable.

Spec sheet says "I.E.C 62196 mode-3 type-2" aka mennekes plug. It also has a type 2 socket to bring your own cable. The plug does have a 43kw AC spec and socket 22kw AC.

Interestingly you can order a type 2 socket to tesla roadster adaptor cable, never seen one of them remanufactured in the wild.

That doesn't make sense - what would all the other EVs use?

Remember that the Tesla plug is purely a North American and Japan thing.

I Did you ever use a Chademo adapter ? It's a joke compared to the Tesla adapter. My point was that it would be great if other car manufacturer could just accept that Teals is the better plug and drop their competing standards.

Chademo is already dying.

I'm afraid it's a bad news... it looks exactly like a Type 2 AC (max 43 kw) (look at the width of the cable) and CCS plug. So this charger is sold as a "DC Fast charger" but you can't use it with a Tesla (or stay at max 22 kw AC (and most Tesla only have 11 kw). The drop of the Chademo is bad because we can't even use the adapter to charge at 50 kw !

We definitely need a way to connect our Tesla to CCS or we'll be in trouble in Europe someday. (I'm pretty sure the Model 3 will have CCS, but what about current S & X)

We definitely need a way to connect our Tesla to CCS or we'll be in trouble in Europe someday. (I'm pretty sure the Model 3 will have CCS, but what about current S & X)

My guess is that 1) the model 3 in Europe will come with CCS connector. Why would the port be so large ? 2) Tesla will propose to S/X owners a CCS adapter similar to the chademo today.
3) max power charge will be around 120kW anyway, but that is fine. Maybe the newer 100kWh batteries can handle more, but reading about the caping and charge curves thanks to @blincoln, it would be surprising if our current batteries, BMS and cabling can handle more.

But Tesla has been so far also often about surprises so who knows?

I don't believe we'll be in trouble in Europe: the only super fast charger network is Tesla's and coverage is -again imho- amazing good... and still growing.

Yes, that's my hope a well but the CCS specification forbid any adapter ! So they have to modify the car itself or find a way to twist the spec.

The supercharger network is fine but it completely stop growing in Germany because of the law and if other countries follow the same way we may be in trouble without a way to connect to a CCS plug in a way.

120 kw is fine. Without fast DC we are stuck to 11 kw, not good to cross Germany !

Please, this could be a very interesting thread but in order to stay within its subject, please divert all AC, all CCS and all Model 3 inputs elsewhere. The interesting point here in this thread is that we now have a third party Tesla Model S and X DC charger here in Europe using the Type-2 standard except not as powerful as Teslas own Superchargers. If you read German please proceed to EVTEC-Schnelllader mit Typ 2 für DC-Ladung in Betrieb - electrive.net or in English even with a somewhat poor video: EVTEC fast-chargers with Type 2 DC plug in Switzerland - electrive.com

We cannot skip CCS completely in this thread. The problem is CCS is now mandatory in Europe. Switzerland is NOT in Europe, so they can do what they want, including DC Type 2 ! It's great for Switzerland (and Tesla Owner) but it won't help in Europe.

That said, I understand that an independent charging network try to target the most popular electric car currently available in that coutry. It's not possible by the law elsewhere in Europe.This initiative is great but it's probably going nowhere on the long run.

That the connector is there is interesting, but has anyone seen it actually in use? In theory, at least, it could be a "universal" pedestal, and in other settings one would be wondering why they put a Type-2 hose on it...

This system was covered at Electrek. It seems clear now that they have taken apart a Tesla CHAdeMO adapter an installed it inside the machine so that European Tesla vehicles can charge at this station just like they could if they had brought their own CHAdeMO adapter. Tesla even issued a statement chastising this vendor for doing it.

First Tesla connector added to a public fast-charging station with CCS/CHAdeMO