Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New (DC fast?) charger in Lincoln Mall in Rhode Island?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was at the Lincoln Mall in Lincoln, RI today, and I noticed what looks like some new electrical infrastructure going into the ground. (See attached photos.) This is a few hundred feet from an existing ChargePoint Level 2 station, near the Stop & Shop gas pumps. I asked the cashier at the pumps what this was, but he didn't know. It's clearly too small to be a Supercharger, or probably even an Electrify America station. Maybe an EVgo or ChargePoint DC fast charger, or perhaps even a Volta Level 2 station? (Volta's added stations to some supermarkets in the area recently.) Maybe it's not even an EV charging station at all. Those blue bollards look a little taller than I recall seeing at EVgo and ChargePoint stations. I don't see anything on the EVgo, ChargePoint, or EA apps at this location except for the existing ChargePoint Level 2 station. Any ideas about who might be building this, or if it's even an EV charging station at all?

I frequently shop at this location, so I'll be sure to keep my eyes on it.

Attachments

• station1.jpg
    station1.jpg
    778.1 KB · Views: 83
  • station2.jpg
    station2.jpg
    732.1 KB · Views: 53
  • station3.jpg
    station3.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 57
Reactions: kayak1
My guess is a Volta charger. Probably L2. They recently announced a partnership with Stop & Shop. Typically 2 L2 chargers with ad display. Although they are typically towards to entrance of the store, not in the rear of the parking lot.

Are they idiots? What's the point of putting in a Level 2 at a supermarket, level 2's belong at home, work or hotels, places where you are parked for many hours. A 6.6KW can only add 10-12 miles of range in the time it takes you to do grocery shopping, that's useless.

Are they idiots? What's the point of putting in a Level 2 at a supermarket, level 2's belong at home, work or hotels, places where you are parked for many hours. A 6.6KW can only add 10-12 miles of range in the time it takes you to do grocery shopping, that's useless.
If you are a slow shopper that can provide ~25 miles in an hour. That's not useless, it may get you home or to a supercharger. Around me, that's ~$1.05 of electricity for $0.

An L2 EVSE at a supermarket is probably more useful to drivers of plug-in hybrids, especially if the owner can't charge at home. (Yes, I know, that's not a good combination. I do know somebody in that situation, though.) Such a person might do opportunity charging at supermarkets, libraries, parks, etc., so as to reduce use of gasoline, albeit not as much as if they could charge at home.

I think that going forward, DC fast chargers at supermarkets could help make BEVs more appealing to apartment-dwellers. Charging during a single half-hour grocery run could provide most of a driver's range needs per week. Better, of course, would be L2 charging at apartment complexes or workplaces. Right now, I think those deploying public and semi-public charging are basically throwing spaghetti at the wall to see what sticks.

An L2 EVSE at a supermarket is probably more useful to drivers of plug-in hybrids, especially if the owner can't charge at home. (Yes, I know, that's not a good combination. I do know somebody in that situation, though.) Such a person might do opportunity charging at supermarkets, libraries, parks, etc., so as to reduce use of gasoline, albeit not as much as if they could charge at home.

I think that going forward, DC fast chargers at supermarkets could help make BEVs more appealing to apartment-dwellers. Charging during a single half-hour grocery run could provide most of a driver's range needs per week. Better, of course, would be L2 charging at apartment complexes or workplaces. Right now, I think those deploying public and semi-public charging are basically throwing spaghetti at the wall to see what sticks.
A plugin hybrid without home charging is just a hybrid. I had a Volt, it took 6 hours to fully charge, at a supermarket that would be 5 miles in a typical 30 minute shopping trip. 125KW DC chargers make sense, in 30 minutes you should be able to charge a BEV to 80 or 90%.

Reactions: Big Earl