Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New "Deep Blue Metallic"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

J1mbo

Aug 20, 2013
UK
Have they changed the colour, or just the image?

MSDBM-old.JPG

MSDBM.JPG

I couldn't find a facelift CPO DBM in on any Tesla site. New cars on the website all look like they have been lifted straight out of the movie "Tron"...

The original image looks much closer to the cars I have seen on the road.

I had to visit a Tesla store to actually see the DBM. I will say in the rainy outside light, the color was darker than the current image on the Tesla site. It was more like your top picture. I have heard that DBM changes with different lighting conditions though.

Your pictures are likely of different vehicle colors. The first picture looks to be the original blue (from 2013, when post-Signature vehicles started configuring) that was discontinued while the latter looks like the website rendering of the "new" blue that arrived with the P90D. The nose and the original OEM 18" wheels are also hints about the former.

I know at least one owner of the former (@Discoducky) and I owned the latter (Illyria) until I sold I recently. For the latter, the website has the same (brighter than reality) rendering; the car was built in December 2016.

Your pictures are likely of different vehicle colors. The first picture looks to be the original blue (from 2013, when post-Signature vehicles started configuring) that was discontinued while the latter looks like the website rendering of the "new" blue that arrived with the P90D. The nose and the original OEM 18" wheels are also hints about the former.

I know at least one owner of the former (@Discoducky) and I owned the latter (Illyria) until I sold I recently. For the latter, the website has the same (brighter than reality) rendering; the car was built in December 2016.

Is it the Dark Blue Metallic? If the top pic is the dark blue metallic, then Tesla site is very consistence. Basically it made all the blue lighter in the pictures! We have a Deep Blue Metallic Model X and it is not as light as the bottom pic even under full sun. And we got a loaner 2013 MS Dark Blue Metallic for 2 weeks.... it is so dark that the color is almost black. Only under full sunlight, you could tell the car is a very very dark blue.

I may have this backwards but...

Deep Blue Metallic is the current offering and is quite bright.

Dark Blue Metallic is substantially darker and was discontinued in 2015-ish.

I own the dark blue version and think it is much nicer than the bright blue. I prefer a darker colored vehicle and the black wasn’t doing it for me.

Have they changed the colour, or just the image?

View attachment 357489

View attachment 357490

I couldn't find a facelift CPO DBM in on any Tesla site. New cars on the website all look like they have been lifted straight out of the movie "Tron"...

The original image looks much closer to the cars I have seen on the road.

The image on the website is different than it used to be, they changed it a while back. I have a Deep Blue Metallic S that used to match the picture in my Tesla account, now it looks like a totally different car.

Took delivery of a Deep Blue Metallic this past Wednesday and in real life, the blue is definitely darker than on Tesla's Color Selector when ordering a car. I've been viewing the Tesla site with an iPhone X and a MacBook Pro for reference.

• Informative
Reactions: J1mbo